Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

articicle Posts: 119

Please don't laugh if this is a obivious question.  I've made two bears and just stuffed the limbs and body and head and sewed them up and then together... without any joint things, just a bit loose with strong thread so the limbs could turn a bit.

What is the right order in assembly?  Do you sew all the pieces limbs to body before stuffing it and sewing the individual parts up?

Again, I've just winged it only with a simple one page jpeg picture I found on the net of the basic parts (well I increased the scale of the head and feet on the copy machine to have a sort of my version style)

I'm really glad that its impossible to make an ugly teddy bear because I can't sew well at all.  :redface:  But I was pretty proud of the two I made.     :dance:

:hug: Thank you wise teddy bear gurus for your replies!  I really am as low a basic skill and understanding at this as basic level goes down to hitting bottom.  I even am likely to run with the sissors!

I so totally enjoy seeing all the creations everyone makes.

Articile-Alan

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Alan

Firstly..............out of little acorns, grow the mighty oak...................so well done for being brave and asking

As for stuffing/jointing, if we take the arm, I part stuff (the paws)then insert the joint then finish stuffing, then sew the hole. I then end up with stuffed arms and legs and a head. Then I join it all to the body and stuff the body..................I hope this makes sense. It does take practise, so keep going bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Cotter pin joints are very easy to master, all it is, is 2 discs with a split pin through it.

I am sure other more experienced than me will come along and offer their version, there is no right and wrongs in this business, its what works for you  bear_grin

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Alan

Good for you having a go.  bear_thumb  As a bear teacher told me once "there is no right or wrong way to make a bear" it's all practice and what you find works for you. I would just say make full use of the library here on TT it has a ton of info and we all started at the beginning bear_original

Raewyn

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I use to attach the arms and legs to the body first and then stuff them and sew up the openings. I found this very awkward and frustrating. I now stuff the limbs and sew up the openings prior to attaching them to the bear.  Whichever you prefer , there is no right or wrong way.

hugs

Shane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use wire in the arms and legs, it is attached to the bolts when I joint.  It sometimes requires fiddling, so I joint first then stuff
Joanne

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I use glued joints and I have had a couple come loose on me when I used to stuff, sew the seams then joint so I now joint, then stuff and sew up the seams.  Hope this makes sense!!  It is all personal preference as I think we all do things a little different and what feels comfortable.

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Hi Alan,

When I started bear making I went to my local sewing store and found that they didn't even carry the plastic pop joints anymore...depending upon what your resources are where you live, you may be having the same 'materials' problem I've had.  I ended up ordering my first complete joint sets on line either here at Intercal or at any of a number of other bear supply vendors...they come with all the necessary parts and pieces you need to joint the head and four appendages of whatever  size bear you are building.  And in the library here under joints you will find pictures and instructions on how to go about it. 

I tried jointing to the  body first and then stuffing, but found through practice that if I stuffed first with the joint in place ready to insert into the  body...that I would be less  likely to get a final joint that  was  too loose on the bear.  I also learned to  put the head  on the  body before the arms!  Very important...because things get  pretty cramped in the upper body...

Hope this is useful.

Pat

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I use whichever method I feel like at the time  :crackup:   If I'm using cotterpins, then I'll stuff and close the limb before attaching to the body.  If I'm using nuts and bolts, it will depend upon whether I've got some bolts glued to discs at the time. I do find it easier to close the limbs if I do it before I attach them to the body though.

baildon bears Baildon bears
west yorkshire

I part stuff the arms and legs insert the joint, then add my steel shots abit more stuffing then sew the seam closed. I attach the completed head first, its really important to put eyes in before you attach the head so as you dont get that denting in the head. then the arms and then the legs. Hope this helps, its all trail and error and you will find your own way in the end. Hannah

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Because I make child safe bear, my eyes and nose are put on the head first then stuffed; a joint hand sewn in the head bottom and then attached to the body.  The plastic locking joints I use for the legs and arms are then attached to the body before stuffing.  I found that if I don't do this before stuffing the joints don't get tight. Then all the stuffing is done and seams hand sewn last.  I know a lot of places sell the bear parts but I think several of us use CR's Crafts for our supplies.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I too stuff the limbs and finish them off before attaching to the body....

Board footer