So we run with all our might
And oh we will not go inside
The haunted house tonight.

Halloween09.jpg

HAVE A HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE.

Hugs, Jane.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Great Jane, love the poem.  Thanks and Happy Halloween to you too.

The Great Bear Posts: 94

Halloween has never been celebrated in France as you do over sea. For us, halloween appeared there are 10 years ago that's all.

Girls and boys try to celebrated it but halloween celebration does not work very well in France for adults, it does not mean anything, it just means and sounds as a business day like  bear_original

Anyway, Happy Halloween to you Jane and all that are going to celebrate it

Eric

puca bears puca bears

And a great big Happy Halloween to you too, Witchy-poo!!!!!!!!!! LOVE the piccy!
And Happy Halloween to all who celebrate it (or try to hide from it!)

big huggies
Maria

Us Bears Pennsylvania
The Great Bear wrote:

Girls and boys try to celebrated it but Halloween celebration does not work very well in France for adults, it does not mean anything, it just means and sounds as a business day like  :)

I think the meaning of Halloween has been lost.  Too many people think it's just a day to dress up and beg for candy.  The truth is that Halloween began as a religious holiday.

"All Hallows Eve" is the night before All Saint's Day.
In Spain, Portugal and other Spanish speaking countries it is the beginning of the "Dia de los Muertos" celebration where families honor the spirits of their deceased relatives.

The tradition of dressing up in scary costumes occurs because people wanted to scare away all the evil spirits so that the religious ceremonies could progress in peace.

Children beg for candy as a symbol of appeasement to the spirits.  If you give something to the spirits, they will not harm you in the coming year.

Carving pumpkins and putting a candle inside is done so that the light from the flame can guide the spirits of our deceased relatives who have died in the past year so they can find their way to Heaven.

I always get a little bit miffed when people say that Halloween is just a Pagan holiday.  Yes, it had its beginnings in Paganism but it has also become a very solemn Christian holiday.  People who campaign against Halloween on the grounds that it is a blasphemous Pagan holiday don't know their own religion very well.

For the humans and Bears who live in this house, we enjoy Halloween but it's not a major holiday for us.
We don't decorate the whole house but we say a little prayer before we go to bed.
We carve our pumpkins and our Halloween Bears get excited when they get their picture taken.
We enjoy handing out candy and watching all the kids in their costumes.  We live on a corner lot so we are on a good location to be a "Neighborhood Watch."  In the seven years we have lived here, there has only been one very minor incident on Halloween.

In short, we honor the significance of the holiday but we don't go overboard with it.  We just have a little fun.

I don't know about other places but, in the USA, Halloween has become a party holiday for adults to get drunk and act silly.
In some places, there is more drinking on Halloween than there is on Saint Patrick's Day!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks much, Jane, and the same to you!  Great poem and pic!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

What a lovely picture, Jane, but the witch is so scaaaaaaary   :crackup:  :crackup:  !
Hope I don't have nightmares tonight  bear_grin .

Have a great Halloween and give my love to your lovely daughters Sarah & Eve  :hug: .

Hugs,

Peter, George & the teddy family

The Great Bear Posts: 94
Us Bears wrote:
The Great Bear wrote:

Girls and boys try to celebrated it but Halloween celebration does not work very well in France for adults, it does not mean anything, it just means and sounds as a business day like  :)

I think the meaning of Halloween has been lost.  Too many people think it's just a day to dress up and beg for candy.  The truth is that Halloween began as a religious holiday.

"All Hallows Eve" is the night before All Saint's Day.
In Spain, Portugal and other Spanish speaking countries it is the beginning of the "Dia de los Muertos" celebration where families honor the spirits of their deceased relatives.

The tradition of dressing up in scary costumes occurs because people wanted to scare away all the evil spirits so that the religious ceremonies could progress in peace.

Children beg for candy as a symbol of appeasement to the spirits.  If you give something to the spirits, they will not harm you in the coming year.

Carving pumpkins and putting a candle inside is done so that the light from the flame can guide the spirits of our deceased relatives who have died in the past year so they can find their way to Heaven.

I always get a little bit miffed when people say that Halloween is just a Pagan holiday.  Yes, it had its beginnings in Paganism but it has also become a very solemn Christian holiday.  People who campaign against Halloween on the grounds that it is a blasphemous Pagan holiday don't know their own religion very well.

For the humans and Bears who live in this house, we enjoy Halloween but it's not a major holiday for us.
We don't decorate the whole house but we say a little prayer before we go to bed.
We carve our pumpkins and our Halloween Bears get excited when they get their picture taken.
We enjoy handing out candy and watching all the kids in their costumes.  We live on a corner lot so we are on a good location to be a "Neighborhood Watch."  In the seven years we have lived here, there has only been one very minor incident on Halloween.

In short, we honor the significance of the holiday but we don't go overboard with it.  We just have a little fun.

I don't know about other places but, in the USA, Halloween has become a party holiday for adults to get drunk and act silly.
In some places, there is more drinking on Halloween than there is on Saint Patrick's Day!

Oh my god I thougt Halloween meant allowed  bear_grin  bear_grin .

Board footer