Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_wub  I am making a baby bear out of white curly fur.  I want her eyes, nose and paw pads to be black.  (I know!)  Anyway, how would I "sculpt" them?  Should I use black thread or perhaps white to make the definition show and look like white fur between the pads????  Has anyone ever done a white bear with black markings?

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

The choice is yours  bear_original  as you say, I think black would look more natural, but white would make the lines show up. Why not experiment and try both? if you use the same entry and exit points, you could have a look before you do anything for sure bear_happy

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

If you use white and don't like the look use a black fabric pen to go over the stitches.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am in the process of making a polar bear.  I have needlefelted the paw pads so I could get the white fur to show between the black pads,  I have then sculpted the toes and feet using white thread, looks great.
I usually use leather and pull the toes and sculpt the feet, but I could not figure out how to get the white to show between the toes.  On a regular bear I don't think it would matter much, but a polar bear has bristles between their toes.
What ever you decide to do, I would love to see the finished results, maybe it would help me for next time.
Joanne

Whatever you have done in your avatar bear looks good, like there is fur between the paws.  What did you do there?

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Can't wait to see what you come up with. bear_original

Missouri
Website

bear-feet.jpgbear_wub
I have been searching fof pictures of real bear paws and I came up with some real nice ones.  This print of real bear paws is very helpful to me.  Perhaps it would help someone else too...

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Lenora,
I have done just what your are considering.  I used black felt for paws and needle sculpted using off-white perle cotton embroidery floss.  I think it looked great.  Can't wait to see your pics.

Hugs,
Alison

Missouri
Website

bear_wub  WOW Alison, do you have a picture??? I would love to see it.

Board footer