Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Hi- I don't post very often but have enjoyed this forum and learned so much that-- I will be selling my bears for the first time!  bear_grin I have a space at a local craft fair that many people I know have attended and they assure me that there is a lot of high end work for sale. I have been making bears in all my spare time since June- I have seventeen done and would like to finish 3 more by Dec. 3. The catch 22 is I don't have a digital camera, but perhaps I'll earn enough to buy one, only then the bears will be gone! I will let you know how it goes, since you all have helped me so much with tips and inspiration.--
                    Suzanne  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful, Suzanne!  I'm delighted to read that you've learned something useful on the board.  I certainly learn something every day, and it almost always pertains, in one way or another, to improving my bearmaking and/or myt bearmaking business skills.

Good luck to you on your show!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yayyyyyy Suzanne !!!!

Congratulations!  It is a big step to put yourself out there.  And it can be intimidating and scary, but once you do it it'll be great! You can do this!

I suspect you will be surprised by the welcome reaction your teds will have too.....

Oh Honey I truly wish you the very best and hope that you come away from the experience feeling validated and happy and eager to continue on!

Now that you have given this cliff hanger, you really have to come back and give us a report and pics if you think of it.  (I would be so wound up that I would totally forget pics.)

Good Luck-  you can do this!!  it'll be great!!

:hug:

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh that's great, Suzanne!  Much good luck and, of course, we want a report!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Good luck Suzanne

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Suzanne, congratulations for your debu !!  :clap:  :clap:
I just debu this summer for my first bear show and it was fun♪
Unfortunatery, I didn't sell much at the show but I met a lot of bear artist and
hear the complement from shoppers.  :lol:

Yes, I'm learning so many things on this board and
I don't think I can live without !!  bear_cry bear_whistle

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Suzanne

Hope the show goes swimmingly and that you sell out as fast as can be!  Hmm it's a catch 22 sometimes isnt it - need a camera to sell the bears - need to sell the bears to get a camera.

Please do report back for us   bear_grin

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Suzanne,
Just use your regular camera and have a cd made at the same time you have the pictures developed.  You won't have instant pictures to know what you have but it is better than nothing.  Good luck with the show!
Donna

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Best of luck at the fair!
I was thinking the same thing as Donna. I get my regular film developed at Walmart and I know they do cd's. Probably lots of developers do it nowdays. So go take some pics so we can see your bears!  bear_grin

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Good Luck...  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Good luck Suzanne.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you sell heaps, and make enough to buy a camera, so all us TTers can see your beautiful bears!

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Best of luck with the show Suzanne! I hope you manage to sell them all and then when you can buy your camera we can sit back and wait for you to make some new bears so you can use your new camera......yikes this is a catch 22 isn't it!  :lol:

Jane.  bear_original

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I wish you all the luck in the world Suzanne - i bet your bears sell like hot cakes, you make lots of money, buy that digital camera, make us all jealous of your obvious outstanding beary talent and marry Brad Pitt!
bear_original  bear_tongue  bear_grin  :thumbsup:

There you go girl - that's your life sorted out for yer!  :hug:

Penny  bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance: Way to go Suzanne!  :dance:

I really admire your (what are they called?) advance-planning skills. Seventeen bears since June is pretty amazing. You stuck to your plan . . . wish I could do the same!

Maybe Brad has a camera?

Eileen

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Ah, Suzanne, this will be a great event, I am sure! finger crossed your bears will be successful!
There is no reason they would not, after all!!!

Did you think about story to imagine to go with your bears? people like bears with stories about them!
i am impressed you made so many bears in a so short time! Do you have a sewing machine???

I agree with the idea of taking photos with your regular camera and ask to have the photos on a CD.

Whatever, let us know how it was!!!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Thanks for all your good wishes.  bear_wub I can tell you I learn something every time I log on here- I didn't know I could get a cd made with pictures from my regular camera. My daughter is an illustration major at college and I'll have to get her to use some of those oh- so- expensive skills over Thanksgiving to take some pictures for me.
   Sophie- until I found TT, I thought that I had to sew bears by hand. I had done that and enjoyed it, but there was no way I'd ever make more than a few bears because it took me so long. When I found out that many people use a sewing machine, well, it was like a revelation! :dance: I even sew the smaller (6 in) with the machine. I also thought for some reason that I would have to design a new pattern with every bear. It was hard enough to do one pattern. I ended up doing 2 patterns and sized them up and down- something I learned here- and I changed the arm and leg patterns on a couple (although I endedup throwing some of those patterns out- after the bear was made already  bear_whistle ). I've had luck changing ears and the head gusset- Thanks, Sueann for mentioning flexible rulers!
    You guys are the best!---- Suzanne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh yes.  She is truly on her way now.....watch out world!  Her She comes!

:hug:
bear_tongue

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Go get em' at the sale !  I hope you sell every bears you take.  Wouldn't that be inspiring !  Even if sales aren't what you'd like, just think of it as a great learning experience.  We are all cheering for you.  Let us know how it goes.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Ah suzanne, you're so right about how usefull can be the sewing machine. I too used to hand sew my bears entirelly. But as you said: it is so long... I bought recently a sewing machine and i am so happy with it!  :thumbsup:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Suzanne, good luck with the show ..... but just remember to relax and enjoy the day and have fun.

Celena Oxford

Good luck Suzanne!

Warm hugs
Celena

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Suzanne,

Very best wishes for a successful show...have fun & hope you sell heaps... bear_thumb bear_thumb bear_thumb

big hugs,
Denise.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Good luck for the show Suzanne - hope it goes well for you and you sell lots of Bears so that
you will them be able to buy a camera so we can see your Bears.

Hugs Carolyn

Board footer