Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_wub
I want to make a sitting elephant.  Do any of you know where I can buy a pattern?  I wouldn't know where to start making one.  Maybe a bear with a big nose and big ears????  Ha!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Actually, Lenora, your idea sounds like a good start. I would encourage you to go for it!  :dance:

I imagine the feet would also be important to that "elephant look," but it can certainly be done. (More than one TT-er has posted a sitting ele in recent weeks. Maybe a search or a browse through the Showcase section will give you some ideas.)

Good luck!
Becky

Missouri
Website

bear_wub  Oh those cute elephants that have been posted here are what made me want one!  Such as "Starlight" by Paula Carter...
There was another one with a butterfly on it...I can't find it but I loved that Elephant...

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

vera4.jpgvera3.jpgI just designed a new head for my bear pattern, OK easier said than done, but they do work well. The two profiles give you some idea.

Missouri
Website

Amanda, she is so cute.  I really love the eyelashes!  So you really did use a bear pattern that you modified?  I am going to try that as soon as I finish my baby bear!  Thanks so much...

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Honest, I extended the usual bear head to make the trunk, the ears ect. I hope it helps, just pm if you need more input.  :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Good idea!  :)

I'm sure you also know Marguerite Steiff's first creation was an elephant.  Right?
I'd say that puts you in good company!   bear_thumb

Her elephant was of the four-legged variety but there's no reason you couldn't look at one of hers for inspiration.  Right?  :)
steiffelephant.jpg

P.S. - This is an image of a modern recreation of her original design.

Missouri
Website

WOW does that elephant bring back memories...When my daughter was very ill with scarlet fever I made her an elephant shaped exactly like that.  I made her a richly embroidered velvet blanket for her back.  I put it on my daughters bed while she was sleeping.  When she woke up and opened her eyes she was afraid because she didn't know what was on her bed.  She closed her eyes and cried for me to come.  When she actually saw it she loved it.  She has always loved elephants.  She has a whole Christmas tree of elephant ornaments.  Boy, that was a long time ago!

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Hello Leonora - as elephants are my favourite animals this is a great idea from you - I too created some elephants in the past and I will do another one next ....... here is a pic from my elephant Jamba - and yes I have to agree with Amanda, I just took the patterns of my bears and modified them in a way a cute elephant was born - just try it out - it works!!!!
Jamba-1.jpg

Missouri
Website

Andrea, she is so cute!  I had a Betrix Potter pattern for the one I did for my daughter way back when.  But, I really want to try the sitting elephant...they are so cute!

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Hi Lenora....I've also used a modified bear head for an ellie....like Amanda says it does work....make it out of felt so you can tweak it till you get it just right....then unpick and use the pattern  bear_thumb  bear_flower ellies_sept_09_001.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ellie3asm2.jpgI have a whole herd of ellies in progress right now for a show next weekend. I did the same - tweaked a bear pattern keeping the gusset almost the same but making the nose end come to a point. Then for the head side piece I changed the muzzle area to come down into a trunk. Big ears and rounded foot pads finished off the revision. I also made the belly fatter. Don't forget a tail!

Missouri
Website

bear_grin  Oh so many cute Elephants.  I can't wait to finish my bear so I can make an Elephant...So many choices too.  Oh my, decisions...

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Marlene de Lorenzo produced a pattern for a lovely sitting elephant called Eunice.  The pattern is available from Teddy's Bits.  Hope this helps.  I think Monica Spicer produced one as well.

Regards

Sue

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

wow some loverly elephants there
it must be the trunks that makes them so cute !
cat xxx

Missouri
Website

I've noticed all the trunks are a little different and I just can't decide how I want mine.  Also the paws...some are round and some are like bear paws.  They are all so cute!  I have drafted a pattern but I keep changing it.  Last night I made my trunk a little longer.  Seems like real elephants can reach the ground quite easily with them...it is such a feature that I want it to be prominent.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello Lenora: Pam Holton has a cute elephant. The picture shows it standing but the legs are jointed so I think it can sit too....

http://www.dear-bears.com/Merchant2/mer … -us-holton

Missouri
Website

Oh how cute.  I found a couple of cute ones but they are all tiny.  I want one about 12 inches.  I have some light grey mohair arriving this week so I will have to commit to my pattern when it arrives.  Can't wait!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If you took the ears from Andrea's (Dreli-Bears) "Jamba" and put them with the body on Lynne's (Jack & Lilia) creations then used the trunk and head from Daphne's elephant you would have a very nice little elephant!  bear_original

We like the way Lynne put the little "fold" in the top of the elephant's ears.  It makes them look cuter because they appear more like real ears.  The proportions between the head and body of Amanda's little pink elephant are very nice too.

That's what we think are all the best features on all the pictures we've seen here.  bear_original

Missouri
Website

What a great idea...I agree!

Board footer