Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Hello! all,
I've been struggling with this and I thought, who better than a miniature artist to answer this question  bear_happy  I am trying to create a smaller, maybe not miniature design, but the fabric/fur must be very supple and flexible. My first thought was Velboa. It is very supple and has a great feel but I was wondering if anywhere there is a fur with a similar feel?
Karen and the cats

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I don't know what velboa is bu tthe fabrics from Sassy's are great for miniatures.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I've used velboa fur quite frequently for my miniatures Karen.  It's works great small scale.  bear_thumb  If I'm not mistaken, I believe it has a bit of stretch to it width-wise.  I used heavy-duty iron on interfacing to diminish it.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Yes, that is the problem with velboa - the stretch - and if you use iron on interfacing wouldn't that make the fabric stiffer and less flexible? What about one of the vintage rayons, Karen - they are woven backing and very nice to work with and you can find different lengths of pile.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thanks everybody  :hug: ,
I'm just starting the pattern and I'll try it with both velboa and rayon. First I've got to make sure this pattern will work! I have to start thinking in a whole different way. Smaller pieces are not just bigger designs shrunk down. THey take a whole different set of skills and methods. As I'm finding out  bear_rolleyes
Karen

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Hi,

Stretching fabric is something I know about...I have several bear heads that turned into popcorn kernals to prove it!   bear_angry  I tried the iron on pellam, and linings; and then I discovered stabilizers.

With iron on interfacing the heat can damage the synthetic, the water soluable stabilizers will not.  I use Sulky's products.  It works very well for me...you can get them in several degrees of stiffness outcomes...or just reapply coats as needed till you get what you want.  I love them!  You can even put them on after you sew the bear up and before turning it if you need to, if you decide it needs more stiffning then you originally anticipated.  I've done that!

I paint them on the backing of the pieces after I've cut out the pattern and lay it out on wax paper over night to air dry fur side down.  You can put it on as wet as you want...really saturate it and it won't hurt your fur...and if it's still stretchy in the morning...repeat...

You can get it at Jo Anne's Fabric or order on line...just disolve in water as needed.  It also comes in an adhesive form but I loved the paint on so much I've not used the stick on yet.

Here is the link:

http://www.sulky.com/stabilizers/solvy.php

Also, I've found if you mix up too large a batch...it seems to keep indefinitely without losing its potency bear_rolleyes

Pat

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thanks! Pat
I'll have to include a stabilizer experiment in my project  bear_thumb  I didn't think about it but iron on stabilizer would probably defeat the feel I want the piece to have. But maybe I'll use iron for the head? Although the head will be small and liquid stabilizer might be best? THis piece will be about 3" so I wouldn't call it a true miniature but it's small to me bear_happy
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

>>>>Smaller pieces are not just bigger designs shrunk down. They take a whole different set of skills and methods. As I'm finding out

Oh Karen, we miniaturists are so honored to hear you, an Artist of your calibre, say these words!!!!!  Most bear artists have no idea-or negate-what you mean (and what we deal with daily) in desiging and executing our ideas in minimal spaces.
Thanks so much for your Consultations.
Bobbie

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Karen,  I'm not sure what velboa feels like, but I can recommend micro plush long from Sassy Bears & Fabrics.  This is the fur I use for nearly all of my creations, including my mini cats, and I absolutely love it!  It does have a bit of stretch but I actually like that and work better with stretch, i find I can manipulate it the way I want.  But you can also get pre-lined micro plush on Sassy's too bear_original

mebears M. E. Bears And Critters
Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Hi all Miniature Bear Makers
I have found the best fabric for making between 1inch up to say 4 inch critters is the vintage long pile fabric. It is reasonably priced  through eBay! Look for "terriantigues" and she will even send free samples anywhere in the world. It is easy to work worth and so easy to turn. There is a huge of colours available.   See my Bear Below for 3 inch example! bear_tongue
bear_wub
BIG Bear Hugs and Merry Christmas to all the wondeful people in the Bear World!!!!
WendyZoey_010.jpg

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thank you, the fur looks wonderful! I am a little worried about dyeing and coloring? I have had difficulty dyeing rayon. But I'll give it a try!
Karen

mebears M. E. Bears And Critters
Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Hi Karen
In regards to dying the rayon I have used everything from Food Colouring, and coffee to hair dyes. This fabric comes in so many shades of great colours so basicly the only colours I dye are the shades of brown and beige. Just make sure you dry this fabric in the clothes dryer to keep the pile looking nice!  Also I like the Belgium Synthetc from Sassy Bears. Makes great 3 to 5 inch critters. It  has a good non stretch woven backing and looks natural! Worth a look.

"The person who dies owning the most Bears WINS!!!"  bear_laugh   bear_shocked

Board footer