Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

Hello Everyone

I'm hoping you may be able to help me. I'm looking at creating a name for my creations. Now I'm pretty sure I have found the name but before I suggest it, and get the name stuck in everyone's head lol, I'm wondering How I confirm the availability and do I need to reserve it or do I just start calling myself that? one day soon it will become a business. but at the moment I'm in the designing stage.

I'm not too sure if anyone is able to assist me, as different countries may have different laws etc, but if anyone can give me any advice at all I would be very greatful.

Sincerly Sherroy

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I'd say that the first thing to do is an internet search.  Google your idea.  Look on Yahoo and others too.  If you find it there, that's pretty much the end of it.

You can also always add your name to the title.  "Happy Bears by Susie" or "Susie's Happy Bears" are possibilities.

After that, I don't know what to suggest because it depends on how large you intend to grow your business.
If it's just going to be among friends and select collectors, just a quick internet search should suffice.  If it's an internet business, I'd do a more in-depth search.  If you are planning on an international trade name, you might need a trademark lawyer's help.

That's my best guess.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

When I was thinking up a name a couple of months ago I googled it and didn't find anything else similar, so went for it.  I think as Randy says, it depends on how big you're intending to get and if it is in any way similar to a big brand name who may come after you - like McDonalds did to a small sandwich shop called McDonalds Sanwich Shop (or something similar) over here - the fact that the guy's name was McDonald was apparently besides the point!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

also check to see if the domain name is available...

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Laura Lynn wrote:

also check to see if the domain name is available...

Yeah!  bear_original  Just go to a site that sells domain names like www.godaddy.com and pretend like you're going to start a new website but don't actually go through with it.

If you are using Mac OS X, there is a built-in way you can search for domains.
Go to your "Terminal" application.  (Find it in:  Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.)
You'll get a window where you can type in commands.  It will say something like this:

Last login: Thu Dec 17 10:11:04 on ttys000
us-bears-mac-pro:~ usbears$

Type in the command "host" followed by a space.  Then type the name of the domain you want to look up and press "Return".
If there is a domain by that name it will say so.  If you were looking for "mydomain.com" it might go like this:

us-bears-mac-pro:~ usbears$ host mydomain.com
mydomain.com has address 64.14.143.57
mydomain.com has address 66.150.120.131
mydomain.com mail is handled by 0 mx.mailix.net.
mydomain.com mail is handled by 5 amx.mailix.net.

If you get an answer like that, it means somebody else has already taken that name.

But, if you get an answer like this:

us-bears-mac-pro:~ usbears$ host unuseddomain.com
Host unuseddomain.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

This means the domain name is probably not taken already.

I can search a dozen variations on a possible domain name in the same time it takes to go to a registrar like Go Daddy and search for one or two.  (Typing commands is way faster than using a mouse to click on a web page.)

P.S. - Just remember to quit your "Terminal" application when you are done.  It's not good to leave the Terminal open if you are not using it.

If the guy would have put his first name in there and made it, for example, "John McDonald's Sandwich Shop," I bet he would have been in the clear.

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

thank you all so much. You have been a great help. I guess I shouldn't use the name until I register a business or something?

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

There's nothing to stop you using it.

The other thing I thought of was to make sure it's easy to spell and search for on google, and that the web address is easy to spell out.  People won't keep hunting for something online that they can't find easily, because, well, people are lazy lol

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

Ok well Im going to bite the bullet and change my name. My new name shall be, Sarchie. Not too sure if it will be Just Sarchie or Sarchie creations or Bears by Sarchie. What do you all think? Just Sarchie? or go with one of the extended versions?

Sarchie = my first initial, S for Sherroy and Archie  (my last name). Combined together as one word.  It was so fitting when I frist thought of it and I'm so exited to say that no one else is using this name. Not that it is a common word. lol
bear_smile

Sarchie will be developed over the coming months, I am already on my first design and will hopefully finish it over the xmas break. However the first one is just a prototype, made in cheap synthetic but will be re-created in a better quality material when I figure out what type.

I will post a picture as soon as possible and thank you every one that has given me great advice.

kynthia Posts: 140

i like Sarchie Creations.  bear_grin  'Sarchie' is a lovely unique name

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Word synergisms are almost always good names for companies.

They are unique and easy to trademark unless somebody else is using it.
They can be easy to remember unless it's so obscure that people don't understand it.  Then, again, if you think about a name like "Kodak", it's easy to remember and it's very distinctive.

As far as domain names go, "sarchie.com" is already taken, apparently by somebody who has a dog named "Sarchie."

"sarchiebears.com" is open.
"sarchie.net", "sarchie.com.au" and similar are all open.

If you make a decision, go ahead and register the domain.  You don't have to put up a site right away.  You can "park" the domain for a small fee.  (Sometimes even for free.)  If you change your mind, you can just let the domain expire.  It will be money spent but you will have prevented anybody else from scooping that name from you while you are deciding.  This is what they call "cybersquatting."  ;)

Cybersquatting can be illegal but as long as you don't try to make unfair profit or use it as a tactic to smear the good name of another you will be in the clear.  In Australia, you have to have an Australian Business Number before you are allowed to register a ".com.au" address.  Fortunately, almost anybody can register for an ABN if they are over 16 years old.

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

I have reserved the domain name www.sarchiebears.com - My partner who is an expert in IT will be assisting me with setting it up the site in the near future. My partner has put it up to say sarchiebears coming soon. It makes me feel so excited, I'm finally "doing" something rather then always "going" to. (which means it never happens)

I will update when things are done.

Board footer