Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

koala.jpgEarlier this year we had a major disaster, known as Black Saturday. It made headlines world wide. But for those who did not hear about the disaster.

Back in February this year we had a fire that wiped out entire towns and killed many of people. It was one of the biggest, natural disasters in Australia's history.

"Conditions
The majority of the fires ignited and spread on a day of some of the worst bushfire-weather conditions ever recorded. Temperatures in the mid to high 40s (Celsius, approx. 110-120 degrees Fahrenheit) and wind speeds in excess of 100 km/h, precipitated by an intense heat wave, fanned the fires over large distances and areas, creating several large firestorms and pyrocumulus systems, particularly north-east of Melbourne, where a single firestorm accounted for 120 of the 173 deaths. A cool change hit the state in the early evening, bringing with it gale-force south-westerly winds in excess of 120 kilometres per hour (75 mph). This change in wind direction caused the long eastern flanks of the fires to become massive fire fronts that burned with incredible speed and ferocity towards towns that had earlier escaped the fires.
[edit]Effects
The fires destroyed over 2,029 houses, 3,500+ structures in total[14] and damaged thousands more. Many towns north-east of the state capital Melbourne were badly damaged or almost completely destroyed, including Kinglake, Marysville, Narbethong, Strathewen and Flowerdale.[15][16] Many houses in the towns of Steels Creek, Humevale, Wandong, St Andrews, Callignee, Taggerty and Koornalla were also destroyed or severely damaged, with several fatalities recorded at each location. The fires affected 78 individual townships in total and displaced an estimated 7,562 people,[14] many of whom sought temporary accommodation, much of it donated in the form of spare rooms, caravans, tents and beds in community relief centres
." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_(2009)

Out of the tragedy came a heart- felt story about a Koala that survived the bush fire. she was badly burnt, and extremely thirsty. A volunteer fire-fighter found her and gave her water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkXSMZBdTLU - this is a true story please watch the video.
The Koala became known as, Sam. Unfortunately recently, she died due to unrelated problems. Sam became a Black Saturday symbol and I wanted to share her with you all.

She is not quite a bear, but not quite anything else.  R.I.P Sam and the people lost in the Black Saturday brushfires.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Sherroy, I postponed watching this until I had a quiet moment.

It really is extraordinary the way this koala accepts help from the firefighter, and I can begin to understand why the clip meant so much to so many people. The little bear in her burnt-out surroundings conveys the loss and suffering of so many people and animals, while the energy and dedication of the firefighter to help in whatever way possible conveys the spirit of the Australian people, I think.

It's very moving.

Becky

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

That was such a tragic time... the story of Sam was very touching.  I hope nothing like that happens again.  Sam makes me want to create a koala... definitely on my list of creatures to create!   bear_wub

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

Sam makes me want to create a koala... definitely on my list of creatures to create!

Same, I am going to create one as well, they are such beautiful creatures and unfortunately are dying out because of; cars, dogs and people knocking down their habitats. It will be a sad day when the last one goes. Hopefully in the near future we will have a lot more success in assisting and breeding these beautiful animals.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

So sad to hear about Sam.  bear_cry
We had several post/threads here on Teddy Talk when the fire happened. However I think we could all use a reminder.:)
I watched a program here in the USA last week and it was about survivors. It had a woman from Marysville that was forunate enough to get out. She and her family walked/ran over a mile to get away from the fires. Spent the night in a park. As they were walking back they found the body of there next door neighbor who was 8 months pregnant. What an absolute heart break.  bear_cry
Thank you for reminding us. In life there are no guarantees. We need to live and love as if today was the last.

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

Thank you for reminding us. In life there are no guarantees. We need to live and love as if today was the last.

bear_wub  bear_wub

Well said Cyndee.

Hugs
Marg  bear_original

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I remember the original post that someone on here shared about Sam and how touching it was.  I am so sad to hear that he has passed.  This was definitely a tragedy. bear_sad

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I hadn't heard Sam had pass away she was an icon of the saturday fire of survival and caring it was wonderful footage and how she was all bandaged up on her paws at the vets after I am  bear_cry sad for her loss.

Raewyn

Board footer