Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Hello,
I just started an ETSY shop tonight.  I do shop on etsy sometimes but have never sold.  There's so much stuff on there that  when I do a search I'll often get over 100 pages of items that match the search.  Is there too much on there?  Is it too big?  Does everything just get buried?  Maybe these are things I should have asked before I started the store.  What do you etsy users think and do you have any advice for not getting burried in the mass of items?

Hugs,
Alison

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Well, I'm fairly new to Etsy, too, but I have figured out that those "tags" (Etsy descriptors) are critically important when shoppers want to narrow their search results. So when you list an item, pay attention to the tags the Etsy system suggests, and use the maximum number of them.

(That's all I've got.  bear_whistle )

Becky

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Alison,
I've found with Etsy if you want to spend the extra $7 for one day to Showcase your items, you will get more views.   I have been on Etsy for a little over 2 years now off and on and have only had sales when I showcase my items.   When you consider the cost of Showcasing on eBay (back in the day when they used to let us non-top sellers Showcase) the $7 fee isn't too bad.   You can choose the Showcase option from your Selling page.
Good Luck!
Hugs,
Janice

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

you could also check out artfire too! you can set up for free if you want bear_original

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Thanks,
I'll have to read up on the tags more.  I only put one item in my shop so far and used some tags.  Once I get everything going, I will do a featured item.  And, I'll check out art fire, too!

Hugs,
Alison

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

You can also continually update your items so that they don't expire or fall way down the list in pages.  I have sold a few things on Etsy over the couple of years that I've been on there but I don't actively list there any longer.  I do think that their uploading process is a bit time consuming compared to others.  I do love to shop there and that is where I order my tush tags for my bears as a matter of fact. bear_happy

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I need to set up a shop soon, and the advice a friend of mine who uses Etsy gave was that the photos need to be very good.  Poor photos of exceptional items tend to mean they don't sell apparently.

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

Hi Alison
i have been on Etsy for quiet a while now and i have never sold anything, i leave it going as it only costs 20 cents to place a bear on there, but so far nothing..... sorry wish i could say it was great.

hugs Susan

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I was on Etsy for a while and never sold anything.  I didn't pay the extra for the feature.  It got too time consuming to update with new items.  I have had some luck with ArtFire but it too is getting a lot more items just like Etsy.  ArtFire is only about 2 years old.  I still get more traffic to my website by being active on several forums and posting my items there.  Sales are greater too as these people get to know you and your work.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Janice thanks so much for that tip!!

Board footer