Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I have a problem...I love the new bent legs and arms on my latest teddy however, they take up so much room on the mohair!  On a fat quarter of mohair I get everything except one leg...A one legged teddy???  I really can't afford to put 1/2 yard into each bear and like to keep them to 1/4.  With the straight legs there is no problem but I love the way she sits with her bent legs.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have run out of ideas!

teeeej Brisbane

It sounds like you bear is a little bit big for that piece of mohair. You could try decreasing the size of your bear or maybe you could buy a smaller piece of mohair just for the leg - 1/8 or 1/6th??

When you lay your pieces on the fabric do you put them really close together or do you have big gaps in between?

Missouri
Website

Oh boy, no gaps!  I am a seamstress and I can see where I could get so much more out of the fabric if I could turn some of the pieces upside down...drives me nuts but the nap or fur runs in one direction!  I have thought of making the pattern a bit smaller...that is the only solution that makes sense...I just hat to because I love her size but I also don't want to buy so much mohair at such prices!  If I have to buy 1/2 yard pieces I am going to make her a tad bigger...

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

One bent and one straight?

teeeej Brisbane

If its a matter of a single leg just buy yourself a smaller piece. That way it won't cost so much.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Reducing the size of your pattern slightly would be my choice.  I have an 'all in one printer'.  It prints, photocopies, faxes, scans etc.  It wasn't very expensive and is a godsend.  It is very easy and quick to reduce or increase the size of a pattern and photocopy it.  If you have included a seam allowance in your pattern, be aware it will increase or decrease the allowance as well.  The printer really gets rid of that ' oh, I haven't got quite enough mohair to make that bear' frustration.  My printer has really reduced the number of remnants I end up with as I am able to make best use of what I have.

Regards

Sue

Missouri
Website

Yes Sue, I have one too and I am going to have to use it for this pattern...
The only thing I came up with was perhaps making the legs two pieces...slashed at the knee area.  I was hoping someone would suggest this with success at doing it but alas no one has.  I may try it with some cheaper material!

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

bear_grin I was going to say how about making your pattern two pieces for the leg, so you can lay them out straight. Be sure to add seam allowance on both.....
But, I can't tell you I have had any success with it.....have never tried....

Take Care
Lee Ann  :rose:

Additional thought - are you using short nap mohair?...or a sparse mohair?....This "knee" seam will be more visible....with shorter fur....

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I have tried it (by accident)!  ((That's a whole other story)) it does work but better with a thicker, longer mohair and no matter what it will always be felt (the extra seam)!  I did the top and bottom of the legs seperately.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

How many bears are you going to make with this pattern? If it's more than one, you might find you can fit two bears onto a half a yard, even tho you can't fit one onto a quarter. Sometimes it works, if you don't mind having two of the same bear  in the same fabric it might be worth a try.

Missouri
Website

Hum...I never thought of that!  I will take a 1/2 yard piece of something I have and see what fits on it...good idea!

Board footer