Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Thanks for the clarification for novice Linda.....I understand where I would fit now when I take the plunge and enter one of my creations...

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

The British Bear Artist Awards have always had a novice category for bear makers who have been designing their own work for under three years.  This is actually the first bear category I ever entered many years ago ....  The category has seen the emergence of many excellent bear artists who have later gone on to establish themselves as creditable bear artists and have then found the courage to participate in the main competition in subsequent years, against more established entrants.

Another thought ... as an entrant, I'd love to know who was responsible for judging the competition!  I was invited to judge a German competition last year and each judge was featured on an accompanying webpage, complete with a small headshot and brief biog, so all entrants could see who was on the panel and read their qualification for having been invited to judge.

And finally, on a side note: I read somewhere earlier in this thread a comment equating classic bears to 'simple teddy bears' - as a maker of classic bears I would like to point out that this style of bear, when done well, is far from simple to achieve and takes every bit as much design skill as any other style of bear! bear_tongue 

In my view, the most difficult thing with classic bears destined for competition, is resisting the temptation to 'theme' or embellish them, as it it is very difficult to convey imaginative creativity, without the aid of contemporary techniques to theme or characterise a piece of work ... so my query would be, does this situation put the classic style of bear at an immediate disadvantage at competition level? 

As it is my belief we need quality competitions to help showcase the aspirational work our industry achieves, I would like to see the competitions offer each style of bear work a showcasing opportunity to ensure collectors and bear artists alike are aware of the full breadth of talent available.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

This is such a complex subject! I brought up my reason for wanting a change but did not consider the whole picture in regards to the changes in the TEddy Bear World? When I began entering contests there was really only one category I could enter and in some contests I could only enter my bears. For years I stuck to making new bear designs so that I could enter the contests but my real love was exploring the creation of different animals using teddy bear techniques. My customers solved this dilemma when they chose my other animal designs as their favorites. Over the years other animals have become very popular with collectors and with the artists who enjoy creating them. The cat's out of the bag  bear_grin I think. I don't think it's possible to ignore the myriad of changes; yet it's important to keep our roots and history. I do believe the contests should have a connection to what is going on around us as selling artists. This does make it more difficult for judges.  But judges of other art forms do juggle many different techniques and subjects in their selections. I don't think we have to completely throw out current contest traditions. What I worry about is that there is now a flood of Other pieces all crowding into one category. Also I believe the collectors want to see more Other pieces in the contests. I think the Large and Smaller Other categories would help? I think the contest sponsors should consider how many entries are crowding into which categories and this might help them decide how best to divide up the entries into manageable categories?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I was me that used the word 'simple' when referring to traditional teddies. It was not meant in a derogatory way. My  own bears aren't exactly complex in their design.  I appreciate that creating these bears is equally as challenging as any other part of our craft. I used the term because this style of bears is uncomplicated by the use of enhancements and 'extras' compared to some designs.

To my mind there is an equal place for all in the world of bear making and quite honestly a traditional style bear could easily win over a  contemporary bear with masses of techniques because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if the bear appeals to the judges it will win.
Nevertheless I do think there is room for new categories to open up the competitions and give everyone a fair chance.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All Bear wrote:

And finally, on a side note: I read somewhere earlier in this thread a comment equating classic bears to 'simple teddy bears' - as a maker of classic bears I would like to point out that this style of bear, when done well, is far from simple to achieve and takes every bit as much design skill as any other style of bear! bear_tongue 

In my view, the most difficult thing with classic bears destined for competition, is resisting the temptation to 'theme' or embellish them, as it it is very difficult to convey imaginative creativity, without the aid of contemporary techniques to theme or characterise a piece of work ... so my query would be, does this situation put the classic style of bear at an immediate disadvantage at competition level?

Paula raises a subject that has been whirling in my brain for over 2 years.  I will relate an experience I had at the last show I participated in . . . ABC's Schaumburg event in Oct. of 2007.  I won't name names, but the person I was talking with had a very influential position in the teddy bear world at that time.  We had a fairly long chat about the state of the bear industry and where we thought it was headed.  Toward the end of the discussion, the person observed that my bears were of "simple" design and asked what influenced the way I made my bears.  I talked about my philosophy of bear-making, but the message I received from this person's opinion was that the cutting edge, more elaborate designs were the ones that would be given higher prestige in the near future.  Those 'complicated' projects showed more imagination, talent, and creativity than the 'simple' traditional/classic type.  I haven't bothered to enter any competitions or participate in any shows since that time.  There certainly were more issues that influenced those decisions, but I lost a LOT of confidence that day in my ability to make worthwhile teddies.  All of this drivel is to point out that probably the traditionally designed bear might very well have a disadvantage if grouped with all other styles of work.  So, I will welcome a different category for 'plain' bears.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I've been reading all the posts and agree that more categories are needed, especially in the animals - maybe an under 6" and over 6 " or something of that nature.  I understand Sue Ann's comments - I only make traditional, vintage style bears, and l choose to accessorize a fair number of them quite simply, with a bell or just a ribbon. I quit entering my teddies years into competition years ago as my entries seem to be swallowed up by the newer, more contemporary bears which were always nominated.  I actually love a lot of the contemporary bears but I just can't make them. My heart belongs to the classic teddy, so I would cheer if there was a category added for this particular style  bear_original

hugs,

Brenda

Kent
Website

Aha Jenny!  So t'was you!  bear_tongue Don't worry, I'm not offended, but I am grateful that your comment highlighted the dilemma we classic bear makers now face (incidentally, I'm donning my 'classic' head for the purpose of this argument, but as most people will know, I do create contemporary bears from time to time too). 

If I'm absolutely honest and without wishing to cause anyone offence, I sometimes think some of the contemporary 'bells and whistles' bears being created might benefit from a return to the drawing board to consider their fundamental bear design first and foremost, before working in so many additional 'elements' to a final piece of work. 

As Sue Ann so aptly highlighted, I think there is a danger that the current trend for fashionable techniques and themes may overwhelm our humble, classic style teddy bear at competition level and as many of us rely on the opportunity at competitive level to showcase our work, this would be a real shame.  A beautiful classic bear is an eternal favourite with collectors, takes a high level of skill to create and in view of his heritage, I believe should be supported and respected at all levels of the bear crafting industry.

warwickshire uk
Website

I have to agree Paula that I think it is important to get the basics right before moving on to the embellishments. I think most new designers would be encouraged to make pieces which test their sewing skills and the ability to see mistakes and correct them in the learning stage before moving on to more complex techniques.
So I thoroughly uphold what you say on that point!

TBReditor Teddy Bear Review
Iola, WI

Wow! There are some really great suggestions here. And I must applaud all of you for your ability to discuss and even argue these changes without being offensive to others. That really shows the camaraderie and companionship that takes place is the teddy bear world.  :clap:

I'll keep an eye on the activity of this discussion until it seems to be slowing down, then I'll speak with the magazine's publisher about it.

Overall, it seems that change is definitely necessary. And I'm sorry that it has gone on this long without asking you, the artists and entrants, what you want to see in the awards system. :redface:

And while I can't guarantee anything, a number of you mentioned that the cost to enter is too high. Does everyone feel this way? While the accounting department has a large say in this as well, what kind of price would be more comfortable? (For those of you who don't know, it is currently $50 for the first entry and $35 for each after that). What are other competitions' prices?

Thanks everyone!  bear_grin
Jessica

Iola, WI
ScaliWagGrrs wrote:

... Another thing that I have wondered about is are the entries judged at all anonymously. Meaning the judges don't know who the aritst is when first judging the entries. I don't know if this happens at all in the bear world but I have seen it in other type contests I have entered or seen--sometimes it isn't what the artist has made it is the artists name that gets them an award.
I know many aritsts work is very recognizable so even being judged anonymously most people would probably recognize their work.  but I just wondered if this has ever crossed anyone else's mind. I don't get the feeling that this is an issue in the bear world. I probably have just been jaded by seeing it elsewhere...Beth

While we do keep the judging anonymous for obvious reasons, many of the entrants do have easily recognizable work. I hope this hasn't been a problem, but you never can tell with some things.

Jessica bear_original

Iola, WI
edie wrote:

...Regarding cost of entry fees - I would doubt that the magazine can reduce the fees, but I wonder if they could possibly print photos of some of the other entries rather than just the nominees - even if they were thumbnail pics - that might make people feel like they were at least getting a bit of exposure and appreciation for their entry, and I think the public would really enjoy seeing the other entrants as I am SURE there are a LOT of fabulous entries that just miss out in the judging and someone has put a lot of time and effort into creating them -might help with people feeling disheartened at not winning!

A few of you mentioned this idea of running photos of the entries (not just the nominees) in the magazine. I was actually considering it this year, but I'm worried about the large number of pages it would take up. While it would be valuable exposure, to make it possible the photos would have to be tiny--so tiny that you wouldn't me able to see their details anyway.

One compromise I thought of is to run just the list of entries in the print magazine, and run the list with photos in the digital edition (as well as on the Teddy Bear Review website). What do you think of this? The way it currently stands, the nominees and photos are listed in the magazine along with voting information, and then the winners (with photos) are listed in the magazine and online.

Jessica  bear_original

warwickshire uk
Website

I think a good way would be to run with the nominees pictures and also the 'best near misses'..which would give great encouragement to those who enter and don't quite make it..as seeing your work in print is always a good incentive and would encourage people to try again next time.

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

:clap: This is such an interesting thread!  As someone who has never entered any contests and is far from ready to do so I hesitate to add my opinion.  But....of course I'm going to. bear_whistle 

I actually love Paula's categories and the idea of a "Masters" category.  I look at the entries from all of you fabulous bear artists and I cringe at the thought of my bear being judged in the same category.  However, if I had the option to enter into a "newbie" category I would give it a shot.  I imagine there are several newer artists that would feel the same way.  I feel you would get far more entries and that is the idea right?

I also like what Paula said about the traditional teddy bear category.  I agree that this should be a separate entry because they are so wonderful and so important but it would be hard for me to choose between a classic bear and one that has a needle felted muzzle for instance.  Apples and oranges definitely.

bear_original

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

What a great brainstorming session! 

This year the price was definitely better for the Golden Teddy's than the last time I looked.  It does still add up, though, if a person would like to enter more than one category.  Having pictures published would give an extra incentive to enter, however I can see that publishing them all in the magazine would be difficult. 

I don't know the ins and outs of publishing a magazine and how many entries there are, so this might not work, but would it be possible to have an article running throughout the year that show cases a top portion (maybe 10 - 20 of the non-nominated entries) of a category each month (sort of a "and the runners up are...")?  Maybe then the pictures wouldn't have to be so small... and compliment that by showing all the entries in the online magazine?  With all the amazing artists out there, I would imagine that there is a selection of creations that narrowly miss being nominated for an award and it would be nice to be able to see those get more exposure, especially as there are still collectors who don't use the internet.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I like your ideas, Jenny and Melisa of having sort of an "honorable mention" section for creations that came really close to the nominees (I am sure lots of years it must be REALLY close in the judging!) - perhaps that would be more feasible for the magazine than my suggestion of thumbnail prints of the entries?? I like the idea of all the entries being shown on the web site and the digital edition too - but as was said there are a surprising number of people who don't do internet! I can't really see too much value in just a list of names of entrants in the contest, Jessica - might be too much like a list of losers??? without the photos there for people to say "Oh that's so cute I can't believe it didn't win!"  bear_grin but that might be just my opinion!

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website
Bear Treasures wrote:

For many people dipping their toe in the water for the first time, the comps do seem a little expensive, if the entrance fees where lowered I believe more people would take a chance even if they are doubtful of a nomination, it's not as much lost because at the moment there is nothing gained with no nomination if that makes sense.

Thank you Melanie for this statement. I have been very reluctant to enter the competitions for a this very reason as well as others.

I started creating my bears back in 1993 and had always envisioned myself entering the competitions. Due to unexpected circumstances I stepped out of the teddy bear scene for a number of years. When I made the decision to re-enter in 2006, I was surprised at the 'new' look of the teddy bear. I create a more classic style bear and don't feel they really stand as much a chance for nomination as some of the modern techniques added to the bears that are entered.

I feel that it's important to challenge ourselves and to strive for perfection in our creations. As Paula has pointed out, it takes a great deal of design skill to create a well done classic bear. I agree that there needs to be a category for the traditional or classic bear with possibly a sub-category for those that are dressed.

I totally agree with Melanie in that if the entry fees were a little lower, I wouldn't feel I was out so much if my bears didn't make the nominations. Published recognition (either online or print) would also help in this area.  Paula's suggestion of a master category for the previous winners is a great one as well.

bear hugs...Brenda

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Jessica, I just want to say a big thankyou on behalf of us all here for taking the time to read all our suggestions and to take them on board. I will definitely be on the look out for the "new improved" Golden Teddy Awards next year  bear_original I'm sure something really good will come about from this discussion.

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

The TOBY awards cost $75.00 to enter the first piece.  So, basically, the Golden Teddy is already much less expensive to try for.  I believe the second item entered is $35.00 as well...  I'd have to check.  All in all though, if it were less expensive to enter, even by a bit then maybe more people would enter, making it worthwhile to have other categories.  Just a thought.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I can't really see too much value in just a list of names of entrants in the contest, Jessica - might be too much like a list of losers??? without the photos there for people to say "Oh that's so cute I can't believe it didn't win!"  bear_grin but that might be just my opinion!

Edie... I had the same thought, I just didn't know how to word it...  you put it very well.  bear_grin

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

With the idea of showing the photographs of all entries....I don't know if it would be possible cost-wise but perhaps something like a "Special Edition Mini Magazine" paired together with the magazine could be an option?  You could showcase the entries that way....

Kent
Website

I think the main competition entry fees are on the steep side, particularly if you want to enter more than one category ... another issue for me is that the main competition deadlines seem to fall quite close together, which means the fees are all payable close together ... usually pretty close to Christmas and the New Year - ouch!

puca bears puca bears

A couple of entry prices for comparison........
Golden George is 30 euros per entry ($41 at today's exchange rate) - BUT it's 55 euros if you are not an exhibitor.
Ted Worldwide costs 32 euros for first entry and 22 for subsequent ones..........and 27 euros if you enter the "Hobbyist" class (making bears for less then 3 years).
And while the GG entries have to be in by end November, TWW is a "summer" comp - entries in by end July.
huggies
Maria

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website
Bear Treasures wrote:

aussie felts wrote With the idea of showing the photographs of all entries....I don't know if it would be possible cost-wise but perhaps something like a "Special Edition Mini Magazine" paired together with the magazine could be an option?  You could showcase the entries that way....

Oh I like this idea

I know other comps are expensive but I wont enter them either because again the cost is too high for nothing in return if there is no nomination, but if there was a small mini magazine with all the bear photos and artist details then at least there is a little bit of advertising for the cost

I love this idea. I like the idea of seeing the other entries, especially if you don't get through to the nominations.

I usually enter a few competitions each year, but I can't afford to enter more than one bear in each competition as the entry fees are a little expensive. Last year especially, for the overseas competitions, because of the exchange rate.

I also agree with Paula that the competition deadlines are all close together, so it is quite a lot of money to pay out in one go.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Paula  has a great point - timing for the entry of the contests.  The Golden Teddies deadline is the end of January and everyone is trying to get over Christmas etc.  I think the deadline used to be the end of March, which is a better time of year.

Kent
Website

Just thought of another point relating to encouraging artists new to competitions:

When I first thought about entering international competitions several years ago, I was put off by the photographic requirements because the 'plain backdrop' criteria meant having to create a studio situation to photograph the entry.  As a maker of large bears, that was a real pain because it meant I would either have to pay for a professional studio to take the shots, or invest in some lighting equipment and backdrop gear - both of which were too expensive, particularly when taking the cost of the entries and the price of photographic development into the equation.

Board footer