Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

cocacolakid Posts: 9

Hi, I love this website. I've been reading it for weeks, but only now have a bear that I'm stumped identifying. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, even if it's a particular time the bear could be from.

He is approximately 15 1/2" tall. I believe the light brown stitching is original, but there are also patchwork dark brown stitching, black stitching, and what looks like fishing line. Obviously this was a much loved bear that someone kept patching up to keep going. I got him from the estate of a recently deceased woman, but I'm not certain how old the woman was, so that's not much help. I was told that this was supposedly her childhood bear.

Thank you!
Dean

P3290069.JPG

P3290068.JPG

P3290070.JPG

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hi Dean,

What a precious old bear.  I wish I could help you to identify the bear...it would be such fun to know some history and I am sure this bear has a lot of history connected to him.

I don't believe I have ever seen a bear so (obviously) loved and in such good condition.  I mean, he has no tears or stains...just the fur being worn off which I am sure is from being held and hugs LOTS!
A real gem.
Thanks for sharing,
Nancy

Thank you, Nancy.

I'm trying to reach someone who knew the woman to at least find out how old she was. I suspect, based on other items I have from her estate, she was 70-80. That might give me a better idea of how old the bear is.

In the meantime I'm trying to focus on his eyes and nose.

Do his eyes look like they are from any specific time? I've got some old b/w teddy bear books, and his eyes look similar to some of the bears from the 30's-50's, but again, in b/w it's hard to tell. His eyes have an interesting swirl pattern in the iris.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I agree Dean...I think the eyes are your key to it's past.
Nancy

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I think it might be a Knickerbocker bear from the late 1940's?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/t … rs-ca-1940
This doesn't show the bear but one of the bears has that peculiar small curved arms that you see in your bear. Also, Knickerbocker was the first company to use the starburst eyes that your bear shows.

Thank you, KJ! I'll try and track down Knickerbocker info.

Board footer