Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bakerina78 Posts: 326

Hi,
(I post my question here, because I can not find the way to place it on Ebay (library))
I have a question – Person put bid on eBay and in 3 days I got e-mail – “please cancel this I got bear from USA and it to much custom fee for Europe, so I want to cancel our deal”. Since I am new on ebay, I really don’t want to go trough all these troubles. But if people place bids.. they have to buy it! And looks like ebay force them to finish payment. Anybody had same problem before? And what is your suggestions? Thank you.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I'd contact eBay....if you win an item on eBay you have to pay...it's a legal contract. You can mutually agree not to go ahead ...or you can file for non-payment after a period of time...in which case eBay will credit you your fees.
These people are a pain in the **** !!!

Thank you for your replay, Jenny.
Actualy I found how to cancel the deal. I didn't want to force people, I don't want somebody has my creation on the shelve and hate it, right? so I just cancel it, but in my communication person wrote if I will force to buy they will write to me negative feedback after!
Anyway, I understand custom fee is to much I understand, but they should find it out before...

Anyway, I relist my bunny again

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When ever I post anything on ebay especially, I make a note at the bottom of the page.  "International buyers; please be aware of customs fees charged by your country.  I will not change customs forms or mark items as gifts"  Some people are just not aware of the price of customs.  This at least gives them fair warning.
Joanne

Thank you, Joanne.
I will put same note probably next time.
I am kind of happy it's happend in the begin of my ebay history, next time I will know what I can expect.
Thank you!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
desertmountainbear wrote:

When ever I post anything on ebay especially, I make a note at the bottom of the page.  "International buyers; please be aware of customs fees charged by your country.  I will not change customs forms or mark items as gifts"  Some people are just not aware of the price of customs.  This at least gives them fair warning.
Joanne

Hi Tatyana,

Joanne is absolutely right.  It's always best to warn prospective bidders that import duties and custom fees can be very high, so they can't blame you afterwards for not warning them about it.  The first time I adopted a teddy bear from the US, I was amazed at the exaggerated amount of fees that I had to pay (more than 50 % of the value of the item), but now I know and I keep that in mind when I adopt an American bear.  I still don't understand however, why they charge so much for items coming from the USA and Canada and not from Australia for example.  It almost seems as if they want to discourage us from buying stuff in the USA or Canada  bear_sad .

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Thanks Peter!

I am going to Europe in 2 months, maybe I will deliver bunny myself  bear_grin

I found just yesterday that the custom fee is almoust 50% in Europe... I would think 10-15% whould be right (actually 0% would be the rightest one!) , but 50?!!!

cocacolakid Posts: 9

I've had 4 non paying buyers on eBay in the last month. Not one of them even replied to any emails after they won. What is wrong with these people? At the least they could just say, 'I'm sorry, but I don't want the item.' At least eBay will refund the final value fees.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I had the opposite happen.  I bid and won an item.  I promptly paid but it never came.  I was horrified when they kept the money.

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I'm usually willing to work with an international buyer I will mark things as a gift as long as I have it in writing that they understand that it won't be fully insured if something happens.

I work at a UPS store and have heard many complaints about custom charges. It is crazy. And the governments still want more taxes.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

In the UK you get charged VAT on an item.  Basically if you're buying something from overseas you're not meant to pay their local taxes on it, but in return you are expected to pay the equivalent tax in your own country.  In our case that's VAT at 17.5%.  The carriers, be it the post office or ParcelForce/Fed-Ex/UPS will charge a handling fee to pick it up from customs, and usually tax you on that too. 

If you know what your VAT equivalent is, it's pretty easy to calculate, also look up what their threashold value is, for instance Daphne sent me some stuff I'd bought from her clearout (thanks for that Daphne, sorry, it arrived when I was ill and I didn't get on to let you know) and it was under £50.  For most things if it's a relatively low value, ie they'll get very little back in tax, then they let it through, but things that are valued at upwards of £100 or so will be taxed.  I'm guessing most of your bears would be of a high enough value that the tax man will want their share.  It's really to stop you buying things from overseas that you can get in your own country for what seems like a low price, but when you add the tax on, isn't - I know that doesn't work for one of a kind bears, but for electronics and other big ticket items people try to import, it does.

Board footer