Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Vicki Posts: 99

bear-kyle.jpgHi Everyone.  Well, I finished my very first bear.  For those of you who have read my post you know I'm dedicating him to my sweet dog Kylie, who passed away 2 weeks ago today.  In honor of her, this teddy's name will be 'Kyle'.

Obviously for my first bear I used a pattern but I tweaked him just a little.  I used leather for his pads and I did some shading around his eyes, ears, and muzzle.  I'll have to work on the joint thing because the poor little guys limbs spin around like a pinwheel.  Just couldn't seem to get them tight.   bear_ermm

It's been very theraputic for me to work on him during this sad time.  I can't wait to start on my next one.  I think I'm going to attempt to create my own design or pattern this time though.  At any rate, he's far from perfect, but I'm happy with the way Kyle turned out.  I'll always look back on him witha special fondness.

~Vicki

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I think Kyle is a very special bear - well done.  He looks like he knows what a special job he has to aid in healing.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Congratulations on completing this lovely bear, Vicki! bear_thumb What a great tribute to Kylie.  bear_flower

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Wow, Vicki! This is your FIRST bear?? Fantastic job! I'm sorry to hear about Kylie, I'm so glad this special bear has helped you deal with your loss.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Hi Vicky!
I think Kyle looks great for a first bear! My own first bear was far to be as good...

If these are cotter pin joints you used, to tighten them you can use first the cotter pin key and finnish with strong forceps. I have to admit it requires some strenghth!
Alternatively, you can use locknut and bolt joints : with such joints, you can tighten them the way you want even if the fur is thick.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

honusms Fort Worth, Texas

Terrific Bear!  You did wonderfully for your first!

Sue

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

You did a wonderful job on your first bear.   Far better than I did on my first one!

/miniteddyhugs,

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Lovely! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Thanks so much everyone for the lovely compliments!  And thanks Sophie for the information on joints.  I DID actually use the cotter pin joints, and next time I'll try your suggestion.  Although I need to get everything supply wise online as there is nothing really in this town where it comes to supplies.  I can't even find any mohair!!  bear_angry

I'm REALLY looking forward to designing my own pattern this time...although I'm a little nervous about how it's going to turn out.   bear_ermm

Thanks again for taking a peek at my first bear.  I must say that everyone is right..it's quickly become very addictive!!

~Vicki

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi Vicki!  I'm really impressed by your first bear - Kylie has such a sweet look!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  Congratulations!  Those cotter pins can be tricky...  if I use a thick fur, I also trim in that area so that the disks can hold tighter.  I'm looking forward to seeing your next bear!   bear_thumb

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_original  Good job Vicki.  Kyle looks very cuddly and sweet. 
I use cotterpin joints too and by the time I get them tight my hands and wrists are aching.  I think I am going to try the nuts and bolts next time!  I always use them for the head but have to glue the bolt to the disk so it won't turn on its own...we'll see!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  bear_wub Fantastic job first time out.  That really is a great bear, and a wonderful
tribute to Kyle.  Bears are theraputic as you can tell.
waiting to see the next one.  You can get everything on line, try Intercal or Edinburgh imports.  Lots of good places to buy things.  Keep it going! :hug:

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Well done, Vicky !  :clap:

Kyle looks great and I'm sure he will give you much comfort at difficult times.  bear_wub
After all, that's what teddy bears do best.  bear_thumb

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, he came out really well, and they definitely are therapeutic to make

Thanks so much everyone!  Yes, I may try nuts & bolts with this next bear.  And thanks also for the info on supplies!!  bear_original

~Vicki

Board footer