Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh I'm enjoying this. I cant thank you enough my friends for the awesome names. Bandito or Bandit is also one of my favotites. We are in for a tough decision here.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Whatever name you give the dog, try to keep it short.

Regardless of what people think, dogs don't understand their names.  They only understand words in terms of rhythm and intonation.

I used to have a dog named "Reggie" and our neighbors had a dog named "Apache."  When we called one dog, we were likely to get the wrong dog or even both dogs at the same time.  To a dog "a-PACH-E" and "r-EGG-IE" sound alike.

Try to pick a name that has a good, strong tone and rhythm.  Two syllables are best.  Keep the stress on the first syllable or the last and have a strong vowel sound in the middle.

For instance, "Duchess" would be a better name than "Princess."

Some dogs will respond to their "formal" name and a "play" name.  We had a schnauzer named "Tyrone" but we usually called him "Ty."  He would come when you called him by either name but he knew he was usually in trouble for something when he heard somebody yell "ty-RONE!"

Chihuahua's can be smart dogs.  He would probably respond to "Bandito" as a formal name and "Bandit" as his play name.  bear_original

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Lucky you! Such an adorable little Chihuahua! Look forward to seeing what name you pick for him.
I think dogs can understand differences in similar sounding words. One of my dog's name is Wookie. He doesn't always want to come when I call him by name, but if I say Cookie he comes running.
Beth

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Haha!! 
Funny Beth!! :crackup:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Some dogs are really smart!  Aren't they?

Tyrone, the schnauzer, loved to ride in the car and he would run and bark at the door any time he heard the words "car" or "ride."  After a while we started to spell words but, it wasn't long before spelling "C-A-R" or "R-I-D-E" would set him off.  We finally had to start saying "automobile" or "journey" to keep him quiet.  But, if he heard the car keys jingle, that was enough to set him off.

I'm not surprised your dog can tell the difference between "Wookie" and "cookie."  He's probably pretty smart.  I bet you talk to him in plain English a lot too.  I'd venture to say that makes dogs smarter.  bear_original

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

we are the same: and they have songs lol

i have Dude which ends up being Dooddle - sing 'Do the Doodle Bug'
Frank which ends up Franklin - sing 'Be my Frankenstein'
Bobbi which ends up Blobby - sing ' She's a Bobbi Girl in a Bobbi World'
Roxy which ends up Roxs in Socks - sing 'rocky theme tune'

why do we do this lol  :crackup:
i have just admitted how insane my husband and i am lol  :crackup:

Tofield Alberta Canada

Thanks so much for the wonderful input! Our little sweetie is coming home next weekend. Garnet and I are still in the battle of the sexes over his name. Garnet has never much cared in the past what names we give our pups but for some reason he is this time. It must be a man thing when it comes to a male dog. We have always had females.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

He is adorable.  I think he looks like a Scout!  A Boy Scout!!!

Denver, Colorado
Website

I thought of a very silly name today. Not that you would really want to use it.... it is more of a joke than a real suggestion but I was thinking as Chihuahuas are such little dogs but can act like a big Scamps how about the name Shrimp Scampi?
Beth

K Pawz Guest

He is so cute!!! You are going to be so happy with him, just look at those eyes! I agree 100% Chihuahua's need a big name, we have had our little Chihuahua for just under a year now, and let me tell you this little boy lives up to his big name, which is

Hemi

, he is a tiny dog but is a powerful little engine, go go go non stop. And don't even get me started on him thinking he is bigger than he is, he is under 5 lbs and plays with our 100lb malamute shep mix like they are the same size, well Leo lays on the ground for him, and his best friend is our 65lb shep husky mix, Hemi and Emma are inseperable.

can't wait to watch him grow!
hugs,
Krista

Karon Posts: 751

Dustin Hoffman starred in a film called "Little Big Man" and he is a cute guy.  What about Dustin.

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

He could be a Pippin, Pippet, Speck, David (ala David and Goliath or David the Gnome! bear_laugh ), Atticus, Sparrow, Mouse, Teddy, Bean (like Jellybean!)

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Coming up with names for puppies is always hard.  We've had to name two over the years and it has worked out pretty well.  One came instantly the other took a few days. Our first puppy was a sheppard husky mix.  It took days to name her, one day I walked into the bedroom where she was sound asleep and she looked like a litttle bunny, so we named her Thumper.  Did that turn out to suit her.  She was only 5 weeks old when we got her.  She cleared every table in the house with her tail and beat us with it everytime she was happy, which was most of the time.

Our secound is a pom-yorkie.  Her name is Tinker.  When we got her we brought her home to a 60lb Thumper and she fit in the palm of my hand.  I thought she was a little tinker toy.  That is how she got her name and ruled the house.

Give it a few days if you aren't sure.  Something will just fit perfectly.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Ok here's another name I'm gonna throw out there. How about Tonka (like in the Tonka Toys, big ole Tonka Trucks) big name for a little dog  bear_grin .

hugs

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania
ScaliWagGrrs wrote:

I thought of a very silly name today. Not that you would really want to use it.... it is more of a joke than a real suggestion but I was thinking as Chihuahuas are such little dogs but can act like a big Scamps how about the name Shrimp Scampi?
Beth

There was a little dog in the Disney movie "Lady and the Tramp" whose name was "Scamp."

scamp.jpg

Scamp ended up being one of the most famous little dog characters that Walt Disney created in the 1950's.  He even ended up having his own comic strip in the newspapers.

bear_original

cocacolakid Posts: 9
thebearguys wrote:

Ok here's another name I'm gonna throw out there. How about Tonka (like in the Tonka Toys, big ole Tonka Trucks) big name for a little dog  bear_grin .

hugs

Shane

That's a good name for a dog!

Tofield Alberta Canada

You guys have been absolutely awesome with the names! Thank you!

Well our little puppy arrived last Saturday and it has been a very busy week, fun though. Our Son said to me, Mom you really should let Dad name this puppy because he was very good about letting you get another puppy. I agreed! He is so cute and has blue eyes.

So our little dolls name is........

26740_386875972244_56120724.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Chico is so adorable...My goodness...I want one too!!! bear_wub  bear_wub

Denver, Colorado
Website

Congratulations!! Chico is a great name. I think it fits him well. He is such a cutie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beth

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

AWWWWWWW Chico is perfect for him and he is soooooo adorable. I think if I ever get another dog it would be one just like Chico heehee. 

Big hugs and enjoy , Hmmmm Chico isn't Spanish for spot is it  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Shane

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, so sweet, look at those teeny feet!

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub Aaaahhhh! What a little sweetie and the name suits him really well and I'm sure you are going to be in for a lot of fun and games with him! He's got one very mischievous looking face  bear_grin 

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Good name!   bear_thumb   Very nice looking dog!   bear_thumb

"Chico" is the correct name for that dog.  No doubt about it!
It's a good name for a dog.  He's a Mexican dog and he has a Mexican name.  ("Chico" means "boy" in Spanish.)

Plus, he just looks like a "Chico."  The name fits him.

Except, every time I hear the name "Chico," I automatically think, "...and the Man!"  bear_happy

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

awww how cute is he!  bear_wub little cheeky Chico!  bear_grin

Board footer