Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

My son David, daughter Sarah and I went to see the Harry Potter film last night. It had amazing special effects and I really enjoyed it....but the story was cut so much (owing to the book being rather long) and the film still lasts 2 hours and 40 minutes. I'm not sure about the rating on the film either. I think some parts would frighten the bejezzers out of some younger kids., so if anyone's thinking of taking really young kids make sure they are not scared.
I would give the film 8 out of 10. For me it looses 2 points owing to the great parts of the book which had to be cut.

Hey Shelli what's your feedback on the film? Did you like the character of Mad Eye Moody? I thought he was great!

Jane.  bear_original bear_original bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_cry We cannot see it in France before the 30th of november!!!! I am not even sure I will come to see it unless we can see it in our little town for cheaper than in Le Mans... I will have to be patient.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

PS: did you read the last book about Harry Potter stories? I did and dear, how black was the story!!! i really wonder what can happen in the next book...

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I haven't read the book but my husband has - he's more of a Potter fan than I am. So he'll no doubt notice the differences when we see the film. I think Harry Potter is pretty scary for most kids...well, at least it would have scared me when I was small! The fast pace of the films, fight scenes etc, and some of the characters could be very frightening, don't you think? It seems odd to me that the films are targeted at children, and I suspect it's the adults who enjoy them most!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh....I am so glad you got to see it, Jane....I look forward to it....

bear_tongue

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I am so glad that you have got to see the movie Jane - we have to wait a while before it reaches
our shores. Looking forward to seeing it though - they are always so exciting.

Hugs
Carolyn

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Yes and I'm going again on Thursday with Sarah. This time we hope to get seats further back in the cinema!

Just thought I'd let you know what a real Harry nut I am.  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Jane  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Jane, you are so lucky !! it will start from 26th Nov. at Japan.
I can't wait for it !!  bear_wacko

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jane... I am a heretic and haven't read any of the books, but I've seen all the movies.  This one was definitely more adult, sophisticated, and serious than the others; it had much less a child-like feel to it, although that also seemed appropriate, because the characters are growing up alongside the storytelling (don't want to give anything away here.)

I did think Mad Eye Moody was an absolute hoot!

I also thought that the lead characters -- Harry, Ron, and Hermoine -- are all growing up to be quite the eye candy. 

I have to say, I miss the old Dumbledore -- Richard Harris -- still.  The new guy -- can't remember his name -- does a fine job, but I think he lacks a certain gentleness and humor that the original actor brought to the role.  I haven't read the books but I'm told that his gentle humor, and solid wisdom, was very much a part of the Dumbledore character in the book as well.

I did hear complaints from my family -- husband and kids -- that they took out a LOT of the story, and switched around some other bits, to fit in the still-incredibly-long 2hr 40min time slot. 

All in all I think I'd also give it an 8 out of 10.  I was very much enchanted with it, and swept away, and it made for a lovely viewing experience!  I'll probably go see it again, with my boys.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Hi Shelli

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! You haven't read the books...tut, tut, tut! Well you have a real treat in front of you now. Obviously there are copies of the books in your house so treat yourself to a good read, you won't regret it! I know we are all so busy what with running houses and making the od bear or three but take some special time for yourself, make a nice hot drink, put up your feet and read the books.

Yes I really miss Richard Harris as Dumbledore, he acted the part exactley as I had imagined him. Michael Gambon takes second place as Dumbledore as he somehow doesn't command the air of perfection in the part of Dumbledore like Richard Harris did.
Hey guess who's a  H.P fan!  bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle

Jane  bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I just came back from seeing the film with my family.Although the awesome affects are next to none in this story,I truly missed the parts that were left out and had to explain a great deal to my husband and middle son who do not read. I was reading the book to my 11 year old daughter and trying to finish before the movie came out but we only got as far as the winner of the cup and so the rest of the story was a great surprise to her.  :cry:
I too miss the original Dumbledore, loved MadEye Moody and think they are definetly developing into very nice looking young ladies and gentlemen.The story is getting older but then so are my kids so I guess we are okay on that point.  bear_smile

Overall,a great movie and well worth skipping lunch and eating popcorn for almost three hours.But I guess I'm just plain old cause now I'm exhausted and ready for bed and it's not even supper time yet.  :doh:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I thought the latest was BRILLIANT!!!  Granted I haven't read the books, only the first so far, because I don't want to be biased going into the movies.  The plot was well thought out, very flowing, and I thought they got a lot of information across. 

Its a lot of fun watching the youngsters grow up with the series of movies.  I hope they can keep going and finish the next two books as well, although they'll need to get a wiggle on it.

I gave it two thumbs up  bear_thumb bear_thumb and hubby and I'll definitely be going to see it at least once more. 

PS I thought Richard Harris did a better job as well, but what can you do?   bear_cry  Michael Gambon does a fairly nice job stepping in.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have to confess that I haven't read the books ........but love the movies, looking forward to seeing the new one

Board footer