Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

honusms Fort Worth, Texas

Ch-4-bear-nutria.jpgNutria-head.jpgGold-Nutria.jpgI've had a nutria jacket that just cried out to be an old fashioned bear with its golden color.  So for my final "Designing Teddy" EbearZ class I tried my hand at designing one.  He had to have a substantial schnozz, a nice broad head and a hump (of course!)   

The guard hairs on nutria are very long and coarse.  I cut the body with some of the longest and got a really wild effect over the hump.  I trimmed on top of the nose gussett, but not down to the hide since there are lots of seams there.  The rest of the face is pretty much au naturel.  I rather like the fuzziness of the face, so I've held off on further trimming.  One of my co-workers said, "That's one scruffy bear!"  And so, "Scruffy" became his name. 

There was a really luxe lining in the jacket from which I planned to make a bow for him.  But given how he turned out, a spiked collar may be more appropriate.   bear_original

Sue

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Sue I think you have done a wonderful job on Scruffy he is adorable .

Raewyn

Aww - thanks, Raewyn.  I should mention that this is a 20" bear, so the length of the fur really is impressive.
Sue

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

He came out very well, I think he looks like an old man with whiskers  bear_original

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Scruffy is great, Sue! Had no idea he was so big. Love his grizzled look!

Good Juju Bears and Dolls Good Juju Bears and Dolls
From Spain and live in Germany

I like your Scruffy  bear_wub  Was it very difficult to sew him with this nutria fabric?

Nutria is a rodent, a cousin to the beaver.  So Scruffy is made from real fur/skins, with all the extra work that entails.  Nutria skin is rather spongy, so thread will pull through it if it's stressed.  The jacket he came from was made in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  It must have been a quality garment, judging from the extensive hand work inside.  It was even interlined in red satin, in addition to the lovely brown embroidered lining and flannel inner lining.  The pelts were in fairly good shape but the jacket was small.  So laying out the pattern pieces was challenging.  In addition, the sleeves were made from pelts sewn on the diagonal, making them suitable for inner arms, ears and his tail only.  Every piece is lined with muslin, which I prefer to baste on rather than using glue.  Seam allowances for such a long fur need to be trimmed and carefully picked out.

So the short answer to your question is that the nutria was very time-consuming compared to working with mohair.  But, of course, well worth it in the end!  (TMI ?;) )

Sue

Vicki Posts: 99

Aww, Scruffy looks soooo hug~hug~hugable!!!   bear_wub

Board footer