Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi everybody,

I have a problem.  I sew in my basement so I keep all my fabric and my handmade dolls downstairs.  I placed my finished handmade dolls in a plastic tote.  Now they smell like plastic and my basement.  How do I get rid of this smell??  I don't want someone to buy one of my handmade dolls and then when they open the box, they smell.  It would be so embarrassing.

hugs,
Sheila

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Not really sure but you could try some scented dryer sheets in the bottom of the totes or maybe spray every thing with Febreze and then store it.  It worth a try anyway.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub i would say try the dryer sheets in a cool dryer cycle or even open up and put out side, sprinkle baking soda on them and then vacummn, or fabreeze, that should help.  From now on when storing in tubs, put dryer sheets in with them.
Does your basement have water in it?
Thats my best answer, I hope this helps
hugs Pat

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Try letting them just air out in a place with lots of air circulation.  They became smelly from being in an atmosphere of plastic fumes.  If they are no longer in that atmosphere they should stop smelling like that after a while.

After that, take the least aggressive means possible.
I like Eva's and Pat's idea of using the drier sheets.
Use Fabreze only as a last resort and only in the smallest amount necessary to do the job.  Possibly even spraying it on a clean cloth and wiping the dolls with it.  In other words, you don't want to put more chemicals on top of what's already there and take the chance of compounding the problem.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think I would let them spend a day or two outside in the fresh air, sunshine if the fabric is colorfast.
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Great suggestions from everyone.

I'd add that setting the dolls in front of a small electric fan can be helpful, and be sure to run a dehumidifier in your basement at all times. That "basement smell" is from excess moisture.

Becky

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

I appreciate everyone suggestions.  I tried the dryer sheets last week and it didn't help.  It just added to the smell.  My basement has lots of moisture. and I'm always running a dehumidifier.  But when I turn my dehumidifier off at night, the smell is back in the morning.  It's really bad. 

My basement is the only space I have in the house.  Okay, I just went to smell all my fabrics and they seem to be fine.  I guess the smell must be the plastic tote so I'm going to take all my critters outside to air out for a few days.  I will let you know if the smell goes away.

bear hugs, Sheila

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

From someone who can't STAND perfume smells and hates receiving smelly bears/dolls/fabric.... try to avoid smelly sparys, dryer sheets, etc. Fresh air is the way to go - no question! Put those totes out in the sun for a couple of days too!
bear_original

I've got a couple of plastic totes that STINK! I keep dishes in them now that won't absorb the odor and will have a spin in the diswasher before use anyway. Try buying a different brand... they don't ALL stink.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I never store my dolls in plastic...bad combination...wrap them in acid free paper and store in a box or even the new baskets you find everywhere...
I would avoid spraying the dolls with anything...might cause damage to them!

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I too like the idea of fresh air; however, I'll admit that I occasionally use a satchel filled with dried lavender on my own collection.

Shanna

Board footer