Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hey there bear_laugh

I'm just curious - does anybody of you do bellybuttons on your bear's bellies?
In my opinion, it could look really cute on a lil' cutey and would like to try it, but am not sure if it is not too different?
If anybody does so too, do you use a "normal" body pattern (e.g. with a center seam and the belly button on it), or do you use something different?

Hugs and thanks for you answers,
Ariane

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I have seen a bunch that use buttons for belly buttons.  But I think just needle sculpting one in would work too.  I think it would be adorable.

Fallenrose near Cologne

I like the idea of using buttons, but.. As I mainly make miniatures, I don't think I'd be able to find buttons that would fit the measurements of my bears.
and also, I think it is much nicer to needle-sculpt them so that they look more realistic^^

Fallenrose near Cologne

Another question that popped into my mind: What kind of stuffing should I use for the area I want the belly button to make in? Are there differences between.. lets say..soft and fluffy stuffing or really hard stuffing? Or doesn't it matter at all (especially on a miniature bear)

Hugs, Ariane

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I usually shape my head and put the eyes and everything on before I attach it to the body.  I find that I stuff it part way and then finish stuffing just before I add the joint.  Same would probably work for the belly and I don't think it would matter much the size.  Stuff it just firmly enough that you have shape and then scuplt and add stuffing as needed during the process till the end when you sew the seam shut.  I find this works for me.  Then you don't have to worry about it being hard to shape.  It my take a few bears to figure out exactly how much to start with but it doesn't ruin the bears during the learning process.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Sounds like a trial and error process lol But I'll see if it works out well for me.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to do a three part body so that there is no center seam in the front, because I wouldn't like this look with a belly button. I could also try to incorporate a  "belly-piece" like you often do on bunnies (does that make sense? I don't know how to describe it; a piece that doesn't go all the way of the side pieces but only in the middle, you know?)

Hugs, Ariane

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

I used to do it twice - for my bears LoLa and Abigal - please come to my website to have a look
thank you so much - it's really funny to create such extra-things!!!

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thank you, I knew I had seen something like this before - I just didn't remember that it was from you (I admired your bears after having seen a pattern of yours in the Teddy Bär Report lol)
The visual impression gave me an idea on how to do the belly button on my little bear, thanks again

Ariane

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Andrea

Did you just add an extra piece after everything else was stuff and finished for the belly button?  It's something I haven't seen done that way before and is an interesting idea.  I love Abigail.

Amber

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I have done them before by taking a small circle of fabric two to three times larger than you want the belly button (for a miniature bear) gathering it round the edges and then sewing it on after the bear is finished.  If your final stitches come up through the centre and then you sink the knot there it will give you an indentation.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I make belly buttons on my cloth dolls.  I stitch a circle on their belly then as I pull it up I stuff a tiny wad of poly fill in.  pull up tight then push the needle to the wrong side and bring it up in the center of the belly button.  Move the needle just a tiny, tiny over and push back down to the back and knot securly...voila...belly button!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have done a few tummy buttons...but only as a needle sculpted indentation....I think it can look nice. Haven't done it for ages though.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Ladies, thank you for all the suggestions on how to do a belly button. I'm sewing up a new bear at the moment that has an inset tummy so I'll be able to make a belly button without a front seem - wish me luck

Ariane

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Good luck with the belly button.  I put them in my dolls sometimes but have never done them on my bears.  They do make tiny little buttons for doll clothing if you want to try to use a button sometime.

Fallenrose near Cologne

I'm not sure at the moment, if I want a belly button that simply goes in or one that goes outward like you do them.

Think I'll first needle sculpt one that goes inward and see how it looks^^

Ariane

Board footer