Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hi everyone-
   I'm in the process of making my first big bear and went to the store to get supplies for making wired armatures.  I ran into the problem of not being able to crimp the ring terminal so it's tight enough around the wiring.  I even asked my Beau for help and he couldn't get it tight enough either.  We are only using pliers, but I can't help but think I may have gotten the wrong thing??  Would using a crimper make a big difference?  Is it supposed to be really hard to crimp?

Thanks everyone!
Shanna

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Shanna,

I do not use a terminal crimp.  I make a loop and place it in between the bolt and the washer.  Here is a link to where I blogged about it.
http://desertmountainbear.blogspot.com/ … ng%20limbs

Joanne

I know lots of people use crimps with good success but I have had them pop off of the wire.  Then I have had to unstuff, unjoint... well you know.

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Joanne-
   Perfect!  Thanks so much, I was worried about the crimp not holding also!

Shanna

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
I usually just make a loop as well, but I have done bears with the ring terminal in the past, especially larger bears. I always used a crimper and then applied a little solder as well. If there is any plastic coating on the wire, it must be removed from the area where the terminal will be applied.  Either way works.  I like just making a loop, but only if the wire is nice and stiff and has no chance of coming unbent or broken with repetitive  movement.   I just had a  look at the blog posted above and that looks like a really good way too.   Have to give that a try.  My bend wires form more of a circle around the screw. Instead of tape, I cover the wire with 1/4 inch plummer's tubing. It slips right over and holds everything together nicely.  It's also really inexpensive at the hardware store.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you Nancy for this.  I have some that was used to connect my ice-maker.  It leaked and I had it replaced with copper.  It is still there, I am now going to rip it out of my craw space and use it.  Wonder how fish aquarium air hose line would work?  Oh my mind is turning.

Joanne

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Shanna,

We use wire crimpers and as you can see several wires to form the attachment...and we also curl the wire over in the termal so that we have a mechanical attachment.  You could also solder this attachment and make it even stronger. 

I use TV cable so that I can get the multiple wires for attachment and because the wires already have insulation around them.  I then wrap that in polyester quilting batting and secure that to the cable from top to bottom with vet wrap...on the end near the top joint.  I use duck tape. 

It forms a very secure joint and makes a strong, well padded bendable limb. 

003.JPG

Pat

Board footer