Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

two-bears-resize.jpgbig-bear-resize-1.jpgHere he is!  My very first big bear.  I think he still needs a little work as he seems very ordinary to me...he has no WOW factor.  What do you think is missing?  I'm also attaching a photo of him and Sam who is my next biggest, it was quite a leap for me!!  His Trapunto paws took forever and I'm not 100% satisfied with them.  I think that they don't puff enough (even though I stuffed them rock hard) and I can't keep them shaded (keeps fading).  There are many things that I would have done differently if I were to redo this guy, but I guess that what firsts are all about.  Thanks for looking, I would love all feedback (especially where I can improve this guy).

Hugs
Shanna

Fallenrose near Cologne

Shanna,

I don't think he is ordinary - in fact, he is very very lovely  and seems to be wanting a big hug!  :hug:
also for a first try at making Trapunto paw pads, I think they turned out gorgeous
A big jump from Sam to this one, indeed  :crackup:

Hopefully, the others can help you more, but for me he looks very pretty - I wouldn't change anything   bear_laugh

Hugs, Arian

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Well done!
He looks great for a first big bear!

I think you did well for his trapunto pads...

Now if there was something to had, it would be to his head, to my view point. what about making him a clown hat with a touch of colour (right, I love colours so I want colour everywhere  bear_whistle  bear_tongue )?

And if you still feel as if something is missing, why not needle felt some white under his eyes?

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, he's lovely, and those pawpads look great, I've certainly never attempted anything like that!

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

Shanna,
If he was my first big bear I think I'd be ECSTATIC!
Well done, he's gorgeous & he has a wow factor all of his own!
Hugs,
Julia x

Loveland

Thanks everyone!  I always did want to try needle felting eyelids, but have never done it before and am a little low on funding this summer to start up a new hobby with all new supplies and equipment.  Maybe he will just have to remain slightly incomplete until there is a little more in the bank account.  Any other suggestions?

Shanna

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

I just don't know why you think he is ordinary???  I think he looks brilliant and the feet have turned out a treat!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Good Juju Bears and Dolls Good Juju Bears and Dolls
From Spain and live in Germany

He is not ordinary at all! I love him.  He looks like a very wise bear bear_wub  bear_thumb  The feet are great too.

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Shanna,

I don't think he is 'ordinary' and the trupunto feet I would die to be able to make...all I can do are pulled toes...I do soooo want to learn how to do feet like you just pulled off with such aplumb and are pooh-poohing (pun indended bear_tongue )  Enough! with this self deprivation!  He is FAB!  The proportions for a first big bear are fantastic...Would that I could have pulled something like this off my first time out of the gate, or second, or third, or.....fortieth, etc., etc....I finally had to take the bear designing course after a year of floundering to get the proportion and body thing right and you just DID IT with no problem...I'm green with envy.

So there is nothing ordinary about your accomplisment.  This is a beautiful bear.

If you really think, however, he seems 'ordinary' and are not satisfied with his 'look' then, you must be searching for something 'else' and you will have to be more specific with yourself and with us as to what that 'something else' is, because from where I sit, this guy is really pretty darn huggable.

If that is the case, then the only thing I can suggest is this.  First:   absolutely leave that body design alone! and second: do another head and experiment with it and see if changing the features gets you any closer to what appeals to you.  You know how to monkey around with gussets and muzzle lengths...tweak ear sets and eye placements...darts above eyes, below the eyes, etc.  Maybe go off the track and try inset muzzle....sometimes even with the same fur...it allows for darting possibilities you can't get any otherway...I can honestly say my bears usually have two to three heads before I am (semi) satisfied with the expression...or all the profiles.  Remember when you UPSIZE your bear, you greatly increase the possibility for so much more detail than you had with the mini...so you can really release your design skills on the head of the bear. 

With the fading on the feet...I've found that after a while the fabric reaches maximum absorption and you can finally apply a final coat of dye that seems to stay put without disappearing...that has been my experience with both the fabric dye and the Prisma on felt. 

Pat

Loveland

Wow Pat, thank you!  I am floored by your comments.  I didn't know that proportions were terribly challenging, I just draw it out as I go.  I still would love to take a design class like the one you spoke of as I think most of my designs are fairly basic.  Thank-you also for all the tips on making him special to me.  I think I have a hard time seeing the wow factor in any of my bears because they come out of my imagination which I see everyday.  I love looking at other peoples creations and getting a glimpse of their creative spirit as it's typically something I would have never though of.  It's possible that he would need to be totally different in order for me to be mostly satisfied with him, but I thought it would be worth trying something small.  Thanks again!!

Shanna

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
shiniker wrote:

I think he still needs a little work as he seems very ordinary to me...he has no WOW factor.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Shanna  bear_wacko !
He isn't ordinary at all and I think he has plenty of WoW factor, especially for a first big bear.
I can't help you with all the technical details, but I can tell you that I think he is adorable and that he could very well join any teddy bear show and he wouldn't be out of place.

Moreover, suppose your first bear was perfect, what motivation would you have left to make ever better and lovelier bears ?   bear_laugh

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Loveland

Good point Peter.

I added some additional shading and trimmed him up a little bit more, but I think I will leave him alone and try and improve my next bear to surpass him.  Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!

Shanna

lombardbears Lombard Bears Australia
ALBANY
Website

Gorgeous bears...got their own WOW factor for SURE! The paws look wonderful... :dance:  :crackup:  :photo:  :photo:  :clap:  :clap:

Vicki Posts: 99

Wait, wait huh?...what??  What do you mean no 'wow' factor??  I know we're our own worst critics, but ...I think he's INCREDIBLE!!!  In fact, I think he EXUDES wow!!!  He's just AWESOME!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

~Vicki

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I agree with you Vicki, the wow factor is the bear itself when you look at it and say WOW, then there is the size, WOW,   the color, WOW,  and those feet get a double WOW, WOW!  It is a beautiful bear and very successfully designed and created for all to enjoy.  Great work.
Hugs Pat :hug:

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

He is amazing and has such a wonderful lovable personality!  I'm with everyone else and think you've done a spectacular job on him!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer