Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I wanted to seal a nose, but not wax it.  I tried doing a search and came up with Aleenes instant decoupage for a nose shine, but wasn't sure if this would work as a sealant to sort of protect the nose as well.  Does anyone use anything different?  I also came across the mention of a 50/50 glue water mix, but wasn't sure what kind of glue was used.  Can anyone help me?  I have one 12" artist bear in my collection (the other is just a wee 3") and the nose is starting to get a little pilli (for loss of a better word) where the fibers are breaking down just a bit.  I thought this might help my bears avoid that look.

Thanks everyone!
Shanna

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use Mod Podge to seal waxed noses.  It does not always dry clear, which is not a problem for me because I paint over it.  It would cause a problem for you though if you don't.  Why don't you try taking a couple of stitches with floss on some fabric and then try it out first.  You could also try the glue water mix and see which works better.

Joanne

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Joanne, Thanks!  What type of glue would you try?

Shanna

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Just plain white glue, and water.

Joanne

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

ive started using just a plain good quality craft glue which dries clear.  I paint it on with a fine paint brush and it works a treat!!!  Just gives a little bit of shine to the little bear nose and holds the threads nicely in place.... here it is
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/productd … ogue=14383

nealabear Teddy's Treasure Chest
Toronto

I have been experimenting with needlefelted noses on my bears.  Anyone who does needlefelting will know that no matter how much you felt the wool you still get little bits of the wool sticking up like stringers. I recently found a product call SB&F Nose Glaze.  It not only made all the little bits of wool fall neatly into place but gave the nose a bit of shine as well.  I used two coats on the wool because the first coat was absorbed quite quickly but the second coat worked wonders and made the nose look great.  I've used it on the prototype of the bear that I will be entering in the challange so once I finish the bear for the challange I will put the pictures up and you can all see how well it works.  It is available on ebay under Dolls and Bears, Bear Making supplies.

Neala

Board footer