Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Everyone,
I had not heard of Windows Live Essentials until Amy mentioned it in her post.  Duh...I feel like I have been in a cave for awhile.  So many new things to learn and I appreciate the advice and help you have already given me and I don't like being a pest but......

Have you used Essentials and do you like it?  Can anybody give me a rating..either pro or con and any information or opinion you may have.  I am trying to evaluate it to determine if it something that would be helpful.   I have never created a blog.  Do you feel blogs are helpful for your bear business?   Thanks again for your help.

Hugs,
Cindy

JanetB Posts: 112

Ummm. I've been in that cave with you.  I'll be following this thread with interest.

Statham, GA

Welcome, Janet.  Good to know I am not alone.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well, add one more to the cave.  It could get crowded in here.

Statham, GA

Welcome Millie!   bear_grin

Fallenrose near Cologne

Ehm..I haven't heard of this - what exactly is it?

Hugs, Ariane

Statham, GA

The Cave or Essentials?  I asked for help regarding Essentials which is a Microsoft Live program that I had not heard of and I also commented on blogs.  I said I felt as if I had been in a cave because I have been away from bear making for five years and there are so many changes.  So now I have company in that cave because others feel the same as I do. 

So, Ariane, if you feel that way too...come join us in the cave.   Does that answer your question?  It started out as a cry for help and now we are on a quest for information.   bear_wacko

Hugs,
Cindy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I think she was asking what the Windows Live Essentials program is.  bear_tongue
Here's a link for those of you who aren't familiar with it: http://explore.live.com/home

I have not used it though I am somewhat familiar with it. In my opinion... especially for things like writing blog posts... I find it an extra step, an extra piece of software to have to learn and use just to write a blog post. You'd still have to learn the blog program you post to also. And if you already have photo software you can likely do all that Essentials does with photos and videos. If you want the messenger part of it you can download Windows Messenger by itself without having Essentials. And if you are an AOL user you already have instant messaging any way. For those who aren't computer savvy and don't have software on your computer to do all these things already then it might be a very handy, all in one program for you to have.

As far as creating and maintaining a blog... once you have it set up it's easy to post entries and photos to! There are free blogging services out there. You don't have to install a program on your computer. www.blogger.com is the free site I believe the majority of us use. Once you have it set up the way you like (which can take a wee bit while you learn your way around) posting to it can then take a matter of minutes. If you use Essentials I believe you have to create your blog post in Essentials then go to a site like blogger to submit it so you'd still have to have blogger or a similar blog hosting site set up. (Amy, correct me if I'm wrong!)

If you want a quick answer to your question about blogging and how useful it is for business you might want to use the SEARCH function here on TT to find many previous discussions we've had on it. You'll find "SEARCH" in the horizontal menu across the top... it's towards the right. Just type in keywords to search for. You'll find answers to lots of questions you may have there.
bear_original

Statham, GA

Thank you Daphne!  I looked at the essential home page and thought it was not necessary as I have photoshop but just to be sure I wanted to ask those that may have more knowledge than I did.   As for the blog...I will tackle that later.  Thank you for the link.  I hurt my shoulder and am doing it all one armed right now so I am a little slow.  I really appreciate your help.

Ariane...I am sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking about previously?    I had not heard about Essentials and was also asking about it earlier.  Thanks to Daphne's help, we have found out about it together.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Yes, this was what I wanted to know, what exactly essentials is. Well, thanks for your help to both of you - I now think that it isn't something I'll need, I have all the other programs I need on my computer already and will set up my blog at blogger.com as Daphne suggested.

Thanks for the explanation, Ariane

Board footer