Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I'm just sick about my problem.

I mailed a bear to a new customer on 17th Aug to Australia.  Okay I'm also a dummy as I didn't get a tracking number for it as the price was going to double the cost which would have cut into my profit.  As it was I was going to be paying slightly more than what was paid to me.  I did insure her for a reasonable amount.

My problem is that the lady at the post office instead of shipping the package air mail actually shipped it surface mail she advised me that it would take approx 2 weeks which would be correct if she would have done it as air mail.  It's now been 7 weeks since it was mailed and I called the post office and they won't even look at doing an insurance claim until after 31st Oct - 90 days for shipping.  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!! bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

So I've contacted my customer and apologized and she has been very understanding - but what should I do. 

Should I refund her money if the package hasn't arrived by 31st Oct.

What would you do???  I haven't had this happen to me before and I'm so frustrated at myself for not putting a tracking number on it or making sure that it went air mail!!  I can tell you that I will be paying more attention in the future but it doesn't help me now.  UGH 

Any advice is appreciated.

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

well if the lady is very understanding I would explain to her that you can not make the claim until the 31st, see if she is willing to wait until then... refund after a claim has been settled.
The last thing you want to do is refund the money and the package show up and then you cannot make a claim or get the money back bear_sad

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Jane ,

I had a man ship an antique bear to me via surface mail, he did it not realising, the time it would take...I was quite peeved about it at the time, because I presumed it was coming via airmail,  but felt a bit sorry for the guy as he'd never shipped to Australia before and was very apologetic...anyway approx 8/9 weeks later the bear arrived in very good condition.

I wouldn't be too worried just yet, in fact I've had other stuff shipped via surface mail, one lot from Canada and so far nothing has ever been lost and it's all arrived in good condition, it always takes a minimum of 8 weeks but expect 9..

I've also shipped huge boxes to my daughter when she was living in England and they arrived okay too.

I wouldn't consider refunding the money, if by any chance it doesn't arrive, then just lodge an insurance claim.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If the customer is not upset or worried, just stand pat.  The Bear might take a while to arrive but should be all right.

If the customer is worried you might give an accommodation for the shipping charges but, unless the Bear gets lost, do not refund the fee for the Bear until you get the insurance money.  (If it comes to that.)

Next time, I might suggest charging for shipping separately.  First of all, it makes sure you don't go in the hole over paying for the shipping yourself.  It also takes the responsibility for deciding how the Bear will travel off you and puts it on the customer.  If they want to pay extra for air mail or for express mail, that is their choice.  If they want the cheap way and use surface mail, they will have to accept the consequences.

It is also good to charge for the goods and for the shipping as separate line items because shipping is an expense to you.  Even if you don't charge a separate price for shipping and roll the cost of shipping into the total price of the sale, you now have a record of your expenses.

In other words, you paid so much for materials, you have so much in labor and shipping cost so much.  It's all laid out in an orderly fashion.  You can now use this information to decide how much your Bears should cost to adopt and, if you ever need to report your profits and losses for tax purposes, you now have accurate records of how much you spent versus how much you took in.

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Mo,

I work in a post office here in England.
We suggest that from here to Australia surface mail will take from 8 to 12 weeks.
I’ve never used this service myself, but near by we have a university and alot of the students sending stuff home especially to Japan use that service.

I do hope you bear has his water legs!!!!!

Hope its sorted soon.

love kayx.

Relish Bears Relish Bears
Adelaide

Hi Jane!  I have a friend in Canada that will send me the odd package here and there, and she always sends it surface mail.  It does take ages for it to get to Australia and it IS usually 3 months before I see it.  I wouldn't refund her yet.  Wait until the claim date, I would just about guarantee it will arrive by then.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks for your comments it helps put me at ease that there is still hope she will be delivered.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Jane,

I shipped a bear to Australia a few yrs ago and it also went by surface. It took a very long time I think three months at least.  I finally made a claim with the post office and as soon as I started that process I got an email saying the bear had arrived. I wouldn't worry I am sure it will get there it's just on the slow boat to Australia LOL.

hugs

Shane

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

I think most Aussies know that surface takes ages, so don't stress out yet.
What concerns me though is did you pay for airmail and they sent it surface? if so, you should definately complain and get some of that shipping money back.
Kerrilyn

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I shipped all my dirty washing home from Oz surface mail, I think it took about 10 weeks, but thankfully it was summer there and winter here so I wasn't walking round naked  :crackup:

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Isent a package surface mail to a friend and it took three months!  Never again.  I had no idea but the package wasn't worth over $40.00 and it cost me $60.00 to mail it!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Jane,
     Our son lived in South Korea for several years and it's above Australia in the northern hemisphere - roughly the same distance from Canada.  I always shipped air, but one year, they send his Xmas gifts by surface by mistake.  I was livid as it took about 10 weeks to get there.  I did get a refund for the difference I had paid between airmail and surface and it arrived safely.  Your parcel should get there with no problem - it's just going to take longer.  Just reassure your customer with the time frame and sit tight. bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

That reminds me...  Check to see how much they charged you.  If they charged you for airmail but sent it surface, you deserve a refund for the difference.

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

iv had a package take about 12 weeks to get from the uk to the us, it was a heavy bear and cost £44 surface mail so i wouldnt panic yet xxx

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

She arrived!!!!  I'm so happy and my new collector is really happy with her.  Thanks for all your encouraging comments it did set my mind at ease and as most of you said it all worked out!

YEAH!!!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Haaaaaaaa....  A thousand Bears all breathe a sigh of relief!  bear_thumb

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Yay for happy endings, her wee arms must have been so tired with all that swimming!

Board footer