Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

bear3.jpgI would like to know what you think is the best teddy bear book.
I'm interested in learning more about design
and other tips, I can make some patterns, but would like to learm more complicated types as well     bear_whistle

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Have you seen E-Bearz U?  They do designing classes.  Nancy Tillberg, who runs it, has some books, one of which I used a lot when I started - 101 bears to make.  Also the Teddy Bear Studio book by Ted Menten is another favourite

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Those are the two that I continually refer to also!  I think they are the best...

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

My Favourite Teddy Book which I have worn out is The Encyclopeadia of Teddy Bear making techniques by Ann Stephens. I have found this invaluable especially when I was starting out. bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

My favorite for design is Jennifer Laing's Teddy Bear Art.  Unfortunately it is out of print and so very expensive on Amazon.com.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I love Ted Menten book. It helps with design techniques. It's called: Ted Menten Teddy Bear Studio: A Step-by -step Guide To Creating Your Own One-of-a-kind Artist Teddy Bears. You can find it on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Menten-Teddy-Stud … 324&sr=1-1

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
Laura Lynn wrote:

My favorite for design is Jennifer Laing's Teddy Bear Art.  Unfortunately it is out of print and so very expensive on Amazon.com.

I have had so many over the years, and I agree for design it is this book.  Worth whatever it costs.

Joanne

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

101 bears to make - Nancy Tillberg
I was given this book off Linda Benson, Benson Bears and I love it. It is the best book I have found so far.
Unfortunately it is quite expensive because it is out of print.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to agree Jennifer Laing's  Teddy Bear Art is a fantastic book to start out with.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I love Nancy's book and one that I would love to get my hands on is Rortraud Illisch 'A bear of my own'.

djbbears Queensland

I have all the above books and I found them all on ebay.......my last one was the one book that I was after and was so happy to get "Rortraud Illisch" on ebay. Most of my books have come of ebay and love reading about design all the different ways of doing things.......

Cheers
Debbie

Bloomsburg, PA

Oh yes, Rostraud Illisch's book is so good.  I also purchased a DVD from her, it goes into more advanced designing.  I love it.  I have learned a lot from it. 

Joanne

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I took a class in the UK with Rostraud Illisch on bear design.  We kind of butted heads a little bit, she is very much a traditionalist when it comes to bear making. On a couple of occasions she walked by me and would look at my bear head and would remove the ears on my bears head ( they were just pinned on at the time) she would move them up to the traditional spot and say to me "Just think about that" as soon as she would walk away I would lower the ears back to where I had them  bear_grin  bear_grin .  It was a wonderful class and I did learn lots but be forewarned that she wants it done a certain way   bear_rolleyes . But still had a lot of fun in the class and she was very nice.

big hugs

Shane

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I'd say Nancy Tilberys 101 bears to make or any of Jennifer Laings books I have them all and she was kind enough to autograph them at a workshop last time she was home or Ted Mentens books  I keep going back to these all the time. I have been trying to get my hands on Rostraud Illisch book and DVD for ever  I'll keep trying. Thats pretty much what everyone else has said now I've read the posts bear_original

Good luck

Raewyn

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I also have been trying to get hold of the DVD.  Someone once pm'd me to say that they had a copy I could buy but I lost touch and have regeretted it ever since.  If this rings a bell with anyone I am still interested!

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

Thanks for all the answers. I still don't have a teddy bear making book even if I have made many, many ted's  :crackup:
I like to experiment sometimes and then it could be nice to have a book for reference, I'll go looking at the books now.   bear_thumb

Bloomsburg, PA
Clarebear wrote:

I also have been trying to get hold of the DVD.  Someone once pm'd me to say that they had a copy I could buy but I lost touch and have regeretted it ever since.  If this rings a bell with anyone I am still interested!

I purchased mine right from her. If you go to her website you can email her.  She is very nice and makes them to order.

http://www.rotraud-ilisch.de/Pages/-book.htm

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I guess I went down a different path bear_happy  I started out doing a couple of bears from a Simplicity pattern and right away I knew I wanted to create different animals and I knew I would have to invent my own style of patterns. The first book I found was Nursery Toys, Mary Vellan, 1956. It had the basics for pattern design and helped me get started. My other favorite was How to Make and Design Stuffed Toys, Rudi De Sarigny, 1971. This is a great book to use for developing new patterns from photographs.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I was scanning Ebay and found 'A Bear of My Own' up for auction if anyone is interested.    It is less than $45 including postage. 

Here is the link: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWAX:IT

Bloomsburg, PA
KJ Lyons wrote:

I guess I went down a different path bear_happy  I started out doing a couple of bears from a Simplicity pattern and right away I knew I wanted to create different animals and I knew I would have to invent my own style of patterns. The first book I found was Nursery Toys, Mary Vellan, 1956. It had the basics for pattern design and helped me get started. My other favorite was How to Make and Design Stuffed Toys, Rudi De Sarigny, 1971. This is a great book to use for developing new patterns from photographs.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

When I saw this post I ordered this book.  The skills taught in this book I wanted to learn.  Especially making a unjointed animal, all the darts and body pieces is hard for me.  this book is exactly what I wanted.  It is wonderful.  Thanks for this info Karen.

Joanne

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Joanne,
Glad you like it  bear_thumb  Is it the Rudi book? I, also, thought that was an excellent book for anyone wanting to learn to design other animals. It's helped with some of my realistic bears, too.
Karen

Bloomsburg, PA
KJ Lyons wrote:

Joanne,
Glad you like it  bear_thumb  Is it the Rudi book? I, also, thought that was an excellent book for anyone wanting to learn to design other animals. It's helped with some of my realistic bears, too.
Karen

Yes it is the Rudi book.  All those little pattern pieces, it is very foreign.  Just what I wanted.

Joanne

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Karen wrote: Is it the Rudi book? I, also, thought that was an excellent book for anyone wanting to learn to design other animals. It's helped with some of my realistic bears, too.

I went on e-bay and found the Rudi book. I got it for a little over $7. I can't wait to get it. I could not find the nursery toys book though....I'll keep looking.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I also bought the Rudi book on Ebay. 

Michelle,
I found Nursery Toys by Mary Vellan at Abe's Books...they sell out of print books.  There are a two copies for $9.00 each and a couple others that are more expensive.

Here is the link: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR … llan&sts=t

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website
Michelle Helen wrote:

Karen wrote: Is it the Rudi book? I, also, thought that was an excellent book for anyone wanting to learn to design other animals. It's helped with some of my realistic bears, too.

I went on e-bay and found the Rudi book. I got it for a little over $7. I can't wait to get it. I could not find the nursery toys book though....I'll keep looking.

THe Mary Vellan book is just a tiny 64 page book. At the time I found it it was the only book out there that talked about how to create your own patterns. It is quaint, but I wouldn't go out of your way to buy it. The Rudi book has much more to offer. The Mary Vellan is really nice if you collect teddy bear books.maryvellan.jpg

Pages:

Board footer