Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

ajchambers8 Posts: 32

Hi there can any one help me id this poor old Berlin Bear ? Hes an ebay buy and is approx 40cm and filthy, which is about all I know about him! ...he didnt cost much but I would love to find out what I can about him, he looks abt 1960's to me, any ideas anyone? ...love to hear from you :¬)

german_berlin_bear.jpg

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Awww -- he's lovely.  :)

What a dear little chap.  :)  As far as I know, the Berlin teddy bear was a mass-produced bear.  What sort of things were you wanting to know?   He's certainly seen a lot of love.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think your dating is correct.  Late 1960's or early 1970's.
I judge by his eyes, plastic spangled, and his nose, molded plastic.  His overall design and construction looks to be about right for that era.

Since he wears a sash that says, "Berlin," I am guessing he is a "Fair Bear" who was a prize or a souvenir of a fair, carnival or event in Berlin.  Some Googling might help place him.  Does he not have any tags on his tush that would help determine his pedigree?

Finally, he's not in really bad shape.  He just needs some cleaning up.  That is something you could do if you are careful.

Take a clean sponge or cloth and dip it in a solution of mild soap.  Use "Woolite" or "Ivory Snow" soap or something similar and mix it in some warm (but not hot) water.  Dip the sponge in the water and wring it out until it is just damp but not soaking wet then carefully wash the Bear a little at a time.

It would be smart to find an inconspicuous spot and give him a test cleaning first.  Make sure that his fur withstands the cleaning and no colors fade or run.  If that spot holds up then continue on.  Give him a good going over then do it again with a clean sponge without soap.

The secret is to wash only the surface of the plush and don't soak him down to the stuffing.

Put the Bear up in a warm (but not hot) place with lots of air circulation so he can dry.  When he is completely dry, use a clean, soft hair brush to spiff up his fur.

A light sprtiz of "Fabreeze" fabric freshener might also help him smell nice and clean, afterward.

Work carefully, and your bear will look good as new!

Then, after you are all done, be sure to share a cookie and a glass of milk with "Berlin Bear!"  bear_laugh

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

He looks a bit like my 'Wendy Boston' bear, but I've no idea about the Berlin connection as Wendy Boston was a British manufacturer.

cheers,
Geraldine

Valentina Milan, Italy

Hi! I've found out that Steiff did some bears with "sash". For example there is one made for "the fall of the wall" memorial. But of course they have Steiff buttons in ears.

As you can see from the link, souvenir bears from Berlin have often the sash with "Berlin" written on it:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 0354687179
So,  I think that the best hypothesis is that he is sounvenir bear or a memorial bear from Berlin. Additionally, the teddy bear is the symbol of the city of Berlin.

Thanks guys! he'll be a sweet addition to my hug ! I thought he must be some sort of souviner bear, I'll know more when he arrives I'm sure... I'd only seen the tiny ones previously, which do crop up ocassionally, I'll check him out and get some more pics when he arrives, oh i dont mind him being a bit grubby as its part of his history! but I have indeed cl,eaned up the odd bear & will decide once hes here!.... I never judge a bear by his plastic nose (I remember my mum buying those when they first were obtainable to her and she replaced all my bears noses with them!) but I do think in his case its probably right for his approximate age...I thought he looked vaguely 60's.
xxx

Well the dear chap is here now,
originally white, he is stuffed with wood wool, joined hard limbs,
short arms, slightly curved inwards hands/paws, no claws
round feet/paws...no claws...
head & body are not jointed, which is something I have seen in smaller bears, but not one this size,
he has a long shaved muzzle, plastic nose, felt law pads a broad face.
The sash is quite loosely attached from arm pit to leg joint. eyes are plastic.

Board footer