Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

For my birthday my partner bought me a subscription to Australian Dolls, Bears and Collectibles magazine. I have noticed reccently it is more about dolls. For instance the current issue has only dolls on the cover and I think it was the same for the last couple of issues too (maybe one teddy here and there).  There seems to be only one bear pattern in the issues aswell.

Now I'm not saying I dislike dolls, I think the artists have done fantastic jobs, but i thought it was more even. half - half kinder thing. Well it used to be...

What has happened? I'm a little disapointed as a bear artist to find there is only adds for bears and not pages of interviews and designs. I love reading about the history of bear artists and all their creations. :(

I wonder if this is beacuse of the market? or is no one interested in reading about teddies anymore? Is anyone else having the same issue?

There is no lack of adds for teddies. Just a lack of interviews and designs.

Maybe I'm just weird and don't know what I'm talking about... lol

Relish Bears Relish Bears
Adelaide

I think that magazine tends to focus a little more on the doll side of things, because the same people do Australian Bear Creations Magazine and that's dedicated entirely to bears.  I've picked up the Australian Dolls, Bears and Collectables magazine often but I really prefer to read about bears so I stick to the ABC mag instead.  bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

For starters, you can put us on record as not being a doll fan.
We "like" dolls but we are definitely "Bear People."  Overly stylized or hyper-realistic dolls are kind of a turn-off.  I bought some Madame Alexander dolls, many years ago, as Christmas presents for my Mom.  I would buy the Madame Alexander dolls that come with Steiff Bears but, overall, we're not into dolls.

As such, we home in on Bears when we shop, look at catalogs or read in books or magazines.  We have quite a lot of Bears in our den and we have to be more selective about increasing the population.  Unless it is an extra special doll, such as the M.A. doll above, we're just not interested.

We did consider getting a Goldilocks doll, one time, but the Bears vetoed that idea.  They weren't fond of the idea of a blonde juvenile delinquent living in their den.  ;)

We have had subscriptions to various magazines over the years and, just as you have found, any publication that goes by the name of "Doll and Teddy Bear" seems to end up having a preponderance of dolls to the exclusion of Bears.  As such, we tend to shy away from publications that are not exclusively Bear related or which, at least, have a majority of Bears.

Like I said, we just have to be more selective, owing to the sheer size of the hug we have now.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Yep, Sherroy definitely let Nick know you want Australian Bear Creations next time.  bear_happy  They have lots of patterns, even the odd one from yours truly!  bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

I also prefer the Australian Bear Creations mag. I have myself a big pile of them, always finding something new in there I missed!

Relish Bears Relish Bears
Adelaide

Me too Teeeej!  I've got quite the collection now.   bear_grin

Board footer