Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

A video clip that explains why Native Americans are now drawing publicity to the Kermode or Spirit Bear -- the all-white variety of North American black bear: http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749 … g-23204099

Becky

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Those bears are gorgeous!  Big oil companies will make promises they can't always keep. I vote for leaving nature and the Spirit Bears alone.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

To see any bear but especially a white bear covered with oil would be the most horrific site I could imagine.  This past spring was such a horror with what happened in the Gulf.  We need to work on alternative fuel sources.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

To see any bear but especially a white bear covered with oil would be the most horrific site I could imagine.

You're so right, Joanne. While that oil exec was talking in the video about how the chance of a spill would be remote and they'd have a plan in place in case it ever happened... I felt myself shudder, literally, thinking about this past summer.

Maybe there will be some way for us to add our voices to this cause.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

desertmountainbear wrote:

To see any bear but especially a white bear covered with oil would be the most horrific site I could imagine.  This past spring was such a horror with what happened in the Gulf.  We need to work on alternative fuel sources.

Joanne

I absolutely agree, Joanne!  Why on earth we don't throw all that "big money" at researching and perfecting alternative fuels is beyond my comprehension.  Non-renewable energy supplies will be depleted, but big oil companies can't see past the end of their noses (or bank accounts) and care nothing about preserving our natural world for future generations.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

You guys are all so right, but how do we stop them. They seem to think they can do what ever they want and it is all about money! Thanks for posting the video Becky.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

We definitely need to find an oil alternative, and in the UK we're trying a number of things, including wind farms, however the way people moan and complain about them ruining the landscape, it's an up hill battlle  bear_ermm   I actually think they're quite cool - I used to have a great view of the farm on Eaglesham Moor from my office in the city centre with my last client, it was somewhat comforting to see them either lazily turning or spinning like mad, depending on the weather

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Magnificent bears !  thanks for posting this, Becky.

I was astonished when the guy defending the oil pipeline, casually explained that the chances of an oil spill were small, but in case it did happen, they would take all the necessary measures to prevent damage to the environment!  Have they learned nothing from all the oil spills that have occured over the past years?   bear_angry

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Absolutely Peter!!! More empty promises.  Those proposing a project such as this will say anything, make any promise to get the plan approved and the project built.  After completion and a catastrophic spill/disaster occurs, the damage has been done and it is too late.  More of the envronment is destroyed as well as the inhabitants of the area.  Any cost the companies incur after the fact is most often considered the cost of doing business and can most likely be written off as such.

I too agree with the need for an alternative.  If we can see this, my question is why can't those that have the power to make a difference see it? I am sorry..I didn't mean to rant.  I recently visited Biloxi, MS to visit my son.  We walked on the beaches along the Gulf of Mexico and it was  beautiful...except  the oil balls, which are small now, are still washing up on the white sandy beach.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Soooo.....is there anyway that we can all get involved to stop this oil line???? A write-in campaign or something? Where does one go to find out who to write to, how to write, what works, etc.......

Hope to hear some other information to help the Spirit Bears!!!

Ellen

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

A very quick search turned up this organization. I don't know anything about them, but it might be a starting point: http://www.pacificwild.org/

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Here's another link I found on Lily/Hope FB page.   http://www.spiritbearyouth.org/

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Sue Ann wrote:

Here's another link I found on Lily/Hope FB page.   http://www.spiritbearyouth.org/

Thank you, Sue Ann. That organization has a free and easy way to become a member, I notice.

Here's the other link we have: http://www.pacificwild.org/ (from a Google search; no info yet about the organization)

Becky

Board footer