Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_shocked I was a little shocked when I took a bear to be posted to America to find that I had to pay a AUD$9 surcharge because it weighed more than 453grams. This is apparently to fund the USA's newly introduced package scanning operation - maybe that should read 'scamming' operation - what an outrage!  bear_angry  It is almost like another import tax in disguise. As if the richest country in the world can't afford to do this as part of their normal operations as every other country in the world does - without surcharge. Is this the FREE trade we keep hearing about from America?
Not exactly something that you can ask the collector to pay on top of the already high postage. Not a happy bunny when I have 2 more packages to send to America  bear_sad

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Hey!  Don't blame me!  I didn't vote for the bum!  bear_happy  bear_happy

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Actually I think that if you know there is a fee like that then you do have to ask the collector to pay.  I know that when I send overseas the to the UK the collector has to pay a very large custom fee.  I just make sure I state that so they know it is their responsibility before they purchase.

As far as being the richest country in the world.  I think those days are long over for the US.  We are in major financial trouble over here.

Joanne

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I agree Joanne.  Many of us are aware of the economy that affects not only us but the rest of the world.  If I was a collector and I wanted a particular bear and was made aware of a new tax or fee, then I would pay it.  It would be fair to both the artist and collector.

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

This is a brand new fee that I got hit with as well. The lady at the post office told me that it had only just been bought in two weeks ago. There was no advertising to tell people about it all she handed me was a photocopy of a notice released by Australia Post to explain what it was. I can understand the additional expense in this day and age. Australia Post should have had a campaign run to inform the puiblic of the changes so we had the information to pass on to the collector. I don't believe $9 would deter a collector when it's something completely out of the control of the artist.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I sent a 1 kilo bear to the US Airsure from the UK on the 22nd Nov.  I wasn't charged a surcharge, so I wonder if the UK post office hasn't caught up yet?

Regards

Sue

Board footer