Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Unfortunately, the person who bought my little mouse Bella from the worldwide Teddy bear show, just now e-mailed me to tell me that she doesn't like the wobble joint in the head and thinks I need to stuff her more firmly.  She would like to send her back.  It's been three weeks since I sent her out, my question to you is what kind of a time limit do you usually give for returns?  I think 3 weeks is pushing it a little.  I told her she would need to send Bella back in the condition she was sent in (including no smoke smell).  I'm also thinking that I don't refund shipping costs right?  Let me know what you think.  What a disappointment.  I had another seller who tried to buy this mouse at the very same time for her daughter for Christmas.  I have been working on another mouse for her and if the woman would have contacted me sooner, I could have gotten Bella to her by Christmas, now she will probably be late.

Thanks everyone
Shanna

Relish Bears Relish Bears
Adelaide

My opinion is that the customer covers the shipping if they wish to return the item.  It's such a shame that Bella is making a trip back to you.  Look at the silver lining though, I have no doubt she'll end up in the home she was meant to be in.  bear_original   Perhaps setting a returns policy of 7 -10 days from purchase date?  (You may need to adjust slightly for international customers).  I think that's ample time to decide whether or not you are happy with your purchase.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I require the collector to contact me with in 48 hours of receipt if they wish to return the bear. It must be returned in original packaging in original condition. Once I have received the bear back in original condition the customer will receive a refund less all shipping. Not in original condition, smelly, dirty, etc. then they don't get their money back. I have never had a bear returned to me in the 10 years I've been selling but I've heard many experiences from others to determine that having a strict refund policy in place is very important.
bear_original

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

can you not just restuff her more and change the head joint to suit the buyer (charge a fee for the extra work..im sure you would have had on your description it was a wobblejoint.. a fee plus return shipping) and send her back?? i think 3 weeks is also too long especially as you had someone else who wanted to buy it.
kerrilyn

Loveland

I definitely could make the changes easily, but she didn't ask for that, she just wanted to return her.  I'm wondering if it's a case of buyers remorse as we are close to the holidays and right now pocketbooks are tight.  I did send an e-mail asking that question.  We will see what she responds back.  Thanks everyone for your comments.  Daphne, I feel so sad that in all your years you've never had someone exchange something and here I am haven't sold but maybe 8 bears and am already having troubles.  I have passed my bears by other artists who said that they are very well made, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed in myself.

Shanna

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  bear_wub That has nothing to do with your bear making ability, the person just doesn't like the wobble effect.  A lot of people do not like that effect.  Do not take this to heart.  Just let her send it back, check it out, and refund minus all shipping expenses.  Her loss, someone elses gain.
Hugs pat bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

No, it's nothing to take personally. I just couldn't share any "return stories" because it hasn't happened to me. I've had bears get lost in the post, I've had someone claim she never got her bear when I KNOW she did yet I had to send her money back. If you have provided very accurate and complete details and pictures that are a true representation of the bear then it is most likely a simple case of the buyer not liking the bear in the fur OR she's decided she needs the money for Christmas shopping. Because it's taken her three weeks to make this decision I'm venturing to guess she needs the money.

If she wants to return the bear because she truly doesn't like it I still wouldn't take it personally. It's a risk that is taken when online selling/buying. You never REALLY know if you're going to like something you've never seen in person before nor know the quality of, until you've held it, touched it, looked at it from all angles. I've certainly purchased bears online by artists I've never bought from before and been a little disappointed a time or two. It happens. It doesn't mean that if someone else had bought it they'd dislike it too... someone with different taste would LOVE it!

Regardless of the reason for the return (which you may never truly know) make this a learning experience and get a return policy in place and on your site ASAP so you don't have to go through this again.

Loveland

Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive words.  I offered the buyer to change the joint in the head so it wouldn't wobble and to stuff her as firmly as possible, but she said she would just like a refund.  She did mention several times how cute the design is so I'm guessing she needs the money.  I wasn't aware that the wobble joint isn't popular.  She just had a slight wobble, nothing dramatic.  I'll keep that in mind with future bears.  I personally love a slight wobble (as long as it's not so loose the head feels like it's going to drop right off the body), as I think it gives them more expression, but it valuable to know that my opinion is not shared by most.  I want to make bears that will appeal to many and not just to me!!

Thanks again you've been super!

Shanna

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Hi Shanna, I had someone come up and seize one of my bears at the show in Sheffield and then almost throw him back down again because he had a wobble joint in his head (I gave him a hug after she'd left so he didn't feel too put out!).  She had just managed to light upon one of only 2 wobble jointed head bears I've ever done, and the other one sold to someone who just loved wobble joints, so there's fans on both sides  :hug:

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
rowarrior wrote:

Hi Shanna, I had someone come up and seize one of my bears at the show in Sheffield and then almost throw him back down again because he had a wobble joint in his head (I gave him a hug after she'd left so he didn't feel too put out!).  She had just managed to light upon one of only 2 wobble jointed head bears I've ever done, and the other one sold to someone who just loved wobble joints, so there's fans on both sides  :hug:

It amazes me, quite frankly at the sheer disregard some people have.  A loose joint (as I have learnt) can be a part of the teddy's character -- and as such speaks nothing of the build quality of an Artist Bear.  Most people can therefore [INVALID] off, if they think this.

I don't care how many people are offended by this -- but it's true.

Shame on you.

-- Thomas Adam

Loveland

It didn't bother so much that the mouse wasn't her cup of tea, but when she wrote the e-mail she told me that these "problems" would be easily fixed, I just had undo the seam on the body.  I e-mailed her back that there is no problem, that everything she disliked was a matter of opinion and I gave her a squishy body and a wobble joint on purpose.  I thought it was a bit disrespectful that she presented it as a flaw in my work when it was really just a personal preference issue.

Thanks again everyone!

Shanna

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

shanna, I'm wondering if you had written that you had given the mouse gave a squishy body and a wobble joint on purpose in the listing description at the show?

Loveland

I didn't put that she wasn't firmly stuffed (she's not super squishy, but not rock hard), but I went back to check my listing and I definitely wrote that she has a wobble jointed head.  It's funny because I had another person try to buy her at almost the very same time and so contacted her.  She also doesn't want a wobble joint in the head.  I'm thinking that they just looked at the photos and didn't read the description!

Shanna

Board footer