Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Amy Lilley Posts: 32

Hey everyone!
I have decided to make my mum a little bear for Xmas and would like it to have 'pouchy' cheeks. Does anyone know how to achieve this? I am baffled!

Here is an example of the kind of cheeks I am referring to:

http://www.kranbearys.com/adopted.htm

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Three methods I can think of:

1. Use a dense fur for the face and scissor sculpt (trim).

2. Use separate circles of fur and apply to face, stuffing as you sew them on.

3. Needle felt chubby cheeks on to the face

cheers,
G

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

If you go here
http://www.ebearz.com/Agora/tiki-index.php

Nancy has a media show of how to do it.

Then click on Mulitmedia Galleries, then Video Tutorials.

Hope this helps. She has alot of great courses there.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Amy, you will find some interesting suggestions in our library . . . right above your post on the left.  Scroll down to the topic of "Muzzles", then click on 'poofy cheeks'.

Thank you so much, I am new to this :-)

Hey guys, I've checked out the bear course (it looks really great andid love to do it in the future but can't afford it right now), and the discussions you suggested but I'm still stumped on this! The cheeks have to be part of the muzzle, right? But how to sew the muzzle to make them poofy just baffles me. I know it will click into place once someone explains/ shows it to me, but I just can't figure it out on my own. If anyone knows how to achieve this then please put me out of my misery :-p in the meantime I will have another browse through the discussions :-)
teddy hugs xx

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub sculpting the fir is the way I got puffy cheeks, I beleive that is how it is done, I do not think it has to do with the pattern. 
Hugs pat bear_flower

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

You use long mohair or faux fur to make the bear in a 'normal' shape, albeit rather hairy, and then cut the fur into the puff ball shape.  The course is very good with particularly good diagrams, and she explains what to trim when

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I can't remember which artist did it back in the 80's (maybe Joan Woessner) used to needle sculpt chubby cheeks by stitching from the corner of the eyes down to the points of the mouth.  It did puff up the cheeks without too much trouble.
Donna

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

Hi Amy,
I've sent you an email as too much to put on here!
Hope it helps...
Hugs,
Julia x

Thanks so much guys! I will looki into needle sculpting, but the cheeks I'm trying to achieve are like those on the front cover if Nancy T's book '101 bears to maje'. She has used a short fur and those cheeks are really puffy! They don't look scissor sculpted, but stuffed to achieve the puffiness. It baffles me!

... Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things to me! I haven't received your message Julia- could you please send it to: lilamy88@live.co.uk
Amy :-) xxx

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Amy, they're definitely scissor scultped, it's her that runs the courses recommended above

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
All the bears on the cover of my book have scissor or razor sculpted cheeks. No extra pieces were used in the muzzle.  I have a video on my class site that shows how to do it. The video is free.  http://www.ebearz.com/Agora/tiki-list_f … alleryId=1   Visit this link and click on Scissor and Razor Sculpting Video.   Hope to see you in one of the classes.
bear hugs,
nancy tillberg

karenaus Melbourne
Website

The way you stuff  also has a huge effect on the chubbiness of the Cheeks. Just filling the space isn't enough, you need to keep in mind the finished shape as you stuff. Ensure you slide stuffing up into the sides of the muzzle.

Board footer