Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Hi All!

I need some opinions from anyone who's done a show before. I'm pondering doing a show, if not this year, than the next, and I want to know what is a good number of bears to have at a show? I need to stockpile an inventory starting now if I'm going to be able to do a show in the future. Thanks very much for your imput!  bear_grin

Shannon  bear_happy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have done as many as 20 which was too much  .. last time I did 14 ...but I am aiming for 10 when I do a fair again. It nearly finished me off last time I made 14 bears in a row!!!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I would say anywhere between 15 and 20 is usually a good number.  It all depends on the size of the table that you have at the show. In Toronto they are 8ft tables and I find I can fit 20 on it pretty good without it looking over crowded.  If it's a 6ft table then around 15.  But again it depends on the size of your creations as well.  You also need need for display stuff, like boxes and other risers to decorate your table.

Shane

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Second Shane- the size of your pieces makes a difference. I usually try and have  at least 40, but I make minis. The number I sell seems to go up with the number I take

Waterloo, Ontario

Karen I so agree with you, I found at our last show we took a lot more bears than we normally do and it was our second best show ever. It is difficult sometimes to get enough made ahead but I have been doing my best to do that. I still work full time so I have a set a goal of trying to get two or three bears done per week, then I am able to set them aside and they are ready to go. Sometimes if there is a custom order in there then I might not get any done for the week but that's ok. So yes the more you take to the show I find the higher the sales are as you have  a better selection for the collectors to choose from.

Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated!  bear_grin  I wonder if bringing a few spare bears for if a few leave your table is a good idea? Especially if your doing a two day show? Hmmmm. Things to ponder!  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

If you're doing a two day show you could certainly bring more bears for the second day. I'm known to finish bears at night for the second day if my inventory is running low. Putting more out the same day is fine too but you may have collectors pass your table later after already buying a bear and then see a new bear that wasn't there before and some might get a little upset or want to swap bears. I've seen it happen so just something to consider.
bear_original

Waterloo, Ontario

I agree Daphne,  We have taken extra bears for a two day show but only put them out the next day.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

For me it depends on the show. When I invite collectors, and I know that several of my collectors are coming to the show, I will bring more of my special pieces. I am very careful about which shows I attend and I try to find shows that my collectors are interested in attending. First, I always bring enough pieces to cover my expenses with a little extra leftover. My guys start at $300 and some are as much as $800, so for me 10 pieces could be enough for a show. I'm not saying this is the way to go! IT is not easy to sell such complicated characters and sometimes I wish I could design less labor intensive pieces. I think a lot depends on your market. There are many shows I just can't attend because of my market niche. It's important to decide where you want to be and who your customers are?

Ottawa, Ontario

All good advice! Where I live, the teddy bear market is practically non-existent. I'd have to go to shows in the US, probably in NY, as it's the closest state to me. The Maryland show is further out, but I'd be able to justify my expenses if the show were part of a family vacation, and not the main event where I'd have to worry about recouping my costs. I may try a show in 2012, as my health is just not good enough to withstand doing a show this year. I will keep all of the tips and the advice you creative geniuses have given me for when I do venture into the world of teddy bear shows, thank you!  bear_thumb  bear_grin

Board footer