Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

The doctor's have come through and have found out what's wrong with me!  bear_grin  As per my previous post of a couple months ago, I was having some health issues that everyone assumed was related to my type 2 diabetes. I wasn't convinced that was the case. A few of the doctors thought it could have been MS (multiple sclerosis), as it runs in my family, but not all of the symptoms fit. I was going numb down my left side, my eye crossed, I'd had horrible head pain and a buzzing, cotton feeling as well, fatigue, arthritis pain, and a host of other problems.  bear_wacko  The doctor's had me do a battery of blood tests and finally got a hit. Sarcoid is the name of the inflammatory disease I have, and it is extremely rare in Canada (which seems to be par for the course for me, as I never catch anything normal  bear_tongue ) What it does is attacks the vital organs, causing damage...it usually goes for the lungs first, but in my case it's been attacking my brain.  The upside is I now have an answer and can begin recovery (Sarcoid is non-fatal, yay!  bear_grin ), the downside is that recovery can take anywhere from 2 years to decades. bear_noexpression  I'm still a bit shell shocked, but I'm happy I finally have an answer. So, here's to the new year, a road to recovery and a happy return to a normal life!!  bear_thumb  bear_grin  bear_tongue

Bear hugs,

Shannon bear_original

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well I'm glad at least you have an answer to all the problems. Now the road to recovery starts, just one day at a time but at least it's not fatal and you can relax a bit knowing what it is.

All the best in your recovery .

Big hugs

Shane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow, Shannon - that's a lot for you to take in, but I'm very glad that you'll be fighting something known (rather than unknown) starting now.

I'm sending lots and lots of bear power your way. Please do keep us posted on your recovery.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Becky

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shannon,

I'm SOOOOOO glad you finally have an answer. Sometimes the not knowing can be as stressful as the actual symptoms. Since we met in November and you told me the doctor was saying it was all a result of your diabetes I've been trying to wrap my head around that and just couldn't see the connection. Mom and I have talked about it a couple of times too. (She's type 1 like me and type 2 runs in the family so we're well versed in all of it!) So glad you now have a diagnosis that makes sense and is treatable. I can relate to getting the rare or uncommon diagnosis.... but it's better than none!

I hope your recovery is rapid and I'm so pleased you have not just an answer but hope! Yay! bear_flower

Big Happy Hugs to You!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

So glad you now know.........hoping you have a speedy recovery! Sending bear hugs your way

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

All the very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hugs

Sue

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

That's a lot to take in for you, but you sound strong and positive, which helps so, so much. Good luck with a quick recovery, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Hugs, Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Shannon,
Sorry to hear that you are diagnosed with sarcoid. I know a little bit about this illness as dsone of my younger sisters was diagnosed with this illness over 30 years ago (she is 54 now). She had it amongst others in her lungs, eyes and joints (hands, fingers, hip, knees). At one point Ingrid's condition was worsening and at that time she was told that she would probably end up in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Well, she is still walking  :dance: ! As far as I know once you have sarcoid you never really get rid of it. (Some) doctors regard this illness as related to tuberculosis, however, unlike TBC not infectious to other persons. As I said, so far they apparently haven't found a real cure for it. Medication that is given usually only helps to reduce the symptoms. My sister was treated several times with Prednison but this medication has, as you may know, quite a number of nasty side effects. But medical science is an ongoing process and researchers discovered that although the illness doesn't go away, you can do things to stabilize your condition. So you see, every cloud has a silver lining. Most important appears to be STRESS. If you can manage to reduce stress in your life - I know, one is not always in a position to influence this - the symptoms of sarcoid will almost certain reduce as well. Furthermore a healthy lifestyle and healthy food with enough anti-oxydants will help too. Every day drink enough water (1,5 to 2 liters!) to get toxins out of your body and this way clean your system. People usually underestimate the importance of drinking enough fluid (black tea, coffee, fizzy drinks or alcohol not included).
I really hope, now that you know what causes your health problems, the quality of your life will improve real soon Shannon.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: from Holland,
Marianne

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am happy for you Sharon.  The not knowing is the worst.  Best of luck with your recovery.

Joanne

Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!  bear_wub Marianne, it's good to know there are people out there that have this illness that are living happy and full lives despite it. You're information has been a big help, and I will be trying very hard to reduce my stress levels. It's dawned on me now that the sarcoid reared its ugly head right after intensely stressful periods in the my life over the last few years. Unfortunatly, my job is highly stressful (I work for a real estate lawyer), especially in the summers when we have 20 + house closings in any given day. Looks like I may need to find a different job  :/

Daphne, you know, I never really thought it was my diabetes despite what the doctors were saying, it never made any sense to me either. Will you be at TBAI in NY this year? I'm going to try and make that show. Hopefully, the next time you see me, my eye will look normal again  bear_tongue

Littlecrow Posts: 71

wonderful news for you !!! wishing you lots of healing energy !!!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I'm pleased to hear that they finally figured out what is wrong with you, Shannon !  bear_laugh
But it does sound pretty terrible (just the name sounds awful "sarcoid"  bear_wacko ) and it looks like you will have to make some changes in your stressful life.  But maybe that is a good thing!  bear_thumb

Anyway, the bears (especially Amos & Nutmeg), are sending you lots of hugs and positive bear vibes to help you on your way to recovery.  bear_flower

Big Hugs,  :hug:

Peter, Amos, Nutmeg & the bears

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great news, Shannon . . . so glad you can now move forward with getting better.  The best of luck with feeling great soon!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Glad they were finally able to figure it out for you, wishing you the speediest of recoveries

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Well, Shannon, if you're the one who always comes up with the most off-beat, non-middle-of-the-road cases - - then this may just work in your favor!
You may just be the one to set new records in beating this and living a comparatively normal Life (though none of our lives are really 'normal'!!)

Best of Healthy days in between to you!

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I'm SO happy that you have an answer now!  It's so stressful not knowing what's going on.  Now  you can focus your energy on healing. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

That's great news that you finally have some answers - it's always good to know what you are up against - not knowing is frustrating.  One day at a time and you will get through this!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I'm glad you have a diagnosis, Shannon, so you can know how to go about taking good care of yourself.

:hug:  :hug:
Debora

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shannon, Yes, I will! I look forward to seeing you and hope you'll be feeling much better by then!  :hug:

Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and the uplifting support.  bear_wub  It's going to be a rocky road to recovery, but at least I'm on it, woo hoo!!  bear_thumb  bear_grin    Daphne, I'll see you in NY, looking forward to it!  :hug:

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

So glad they were able to diagnose your illness, Shannon!!  Sending beary hugs to you and wishes that you are soon feeling much better!! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

hugs,

Ellen

les ours d'isabelle LES OURS D'ISABELLE
ST JULIEN LES ROSIERS
Website

youpy youre going to go better and better!!!! lot of love!!!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Big hugs for a continuous healing and better days ahead Shannon  :hug:  :hug:  bear_flower

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

So happy for you Shannon, bear_flower  that you now know what it wrong.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and wellness.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

So happy you now know, hoping for a speedy recovery  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer