Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

HeidiBears florida

so i was very inspiried when I saw my first teddy on here so I decided to give it a shot and try my own! I had no idea what I was doing and started with some synthetic fur, cotton, and made little clay eyes and painted them. I sewed him all together and glued on the little eyes.. I think he looks pretty strange! I'm not sure what many of the terms i've heard mentioned mean so i was just wondering if someone could define some of these and give me some helpful hints to make my next bear better ?  bear_grin   also i'm not very clear on how the face is shaped.. i just cut out a "bear" looking head shape and sewed them together then trimmed the fur to try and make it look like a muzzle.. how exactly does one "sculpt" the features? thanks so much!!  bear_rolleyes

HeidiBears florida

profile.JPGhere he is!

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Heidi Congrats on finishing your first bear he certainly looks the part. In the library there is so much information on everything to do with bears I'd recommend you start there good luck.

Raewyn

HeidiBears florida
joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

:clap: He's really cute.  Keep it up, and can't wait to see your next bear!!   bear_thumb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He's lovely, Heidi - I really like him!

I can see that you've already "scissor sculpted" the face (just means trimming the pile). The other type pf sculpting is called "needle sculpting," and you could use the search function to find some threads on that subject.

It sounds as if you made this little guy without using a pattern? You've got a knack, I'd say, but if you'd like to see some patterns for other people's designs, you can check out the Free Patterns section of the site.

Welcome aboard!

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_grin What a cute little guy...especially for your first bear.  If you want to design your own bears I would suggest getting Ted Mentens book "Teddy Bear Studio" it is a world of advice and gives you patterns to start from and tells you how to go about designing your own patterns!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

What a sweet wee guy.  There's a wealth of info in the library, and a few good books out there, including the Ted Menten one above, and 101 Bear To Make by Nancy Tillberg.  She also runs online courses at EBearzU - http://www.kranbearys.com/Ebearz/index.htm

Snookums Posts: 285

He's so cute!!

Adj Posts: 28

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  Awesome!!

Karon Posts: 751

I think he is pretty amazing for a first bear.

Congratulations

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

What a sweetie pie! Congratulations on finishing your first bear. There are so many books out there you can read on bear making from minitures to big bears. Go to amazon.com and search for Nancy Tilberg, Ted Menten, Jennifer Lang. Also you can take near making classes on line. Ebearz University has all kinds of classes for the beginner or experienced. Here is the website:
http://www.kranbearys.com/Ebearz/index.htm

HeidiBears florida

thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! i couldnt wait to get started on my next bear   bear_happy . I think i want to try and make a more realistic looking one next time, the synthetic fur i ordered seemed to short to me... does anyone know a good type of fake fur thats good for making a realistic looking bear?

HeidiBears florida

teddy-2.JPGteddy_2.3.JPG

HeidiBears florida

Board footer