Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hello!
   I recently purchased a bear from a company called Charlie bears.  He is super cute and I really love him, but they didn't release the fur from his seams.  The fur that is trapped going into the body is easy to release, but the fur trapped coming out of the body (so there are little short tufts of hair that stick out) is less obvious to solve.  I typically remove the hair before turning and would love to "untrap" this fur, but don't know how without unstitching him.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much
Shanna

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Well you could try to use some haemostats to gently tug a little and see if it releases, but it depends how the fur is attached to the backing how much that could potentially pull out both behind and in front of the seam...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When I get fur trapped in seams I use a little pair of needle nose jewelery plies to pick it out.

Joanne

Loveland

I think you misunderstand.  The loops to pull it out are on the inside of the bear.  Pick the hair out of both sides when I make a bear and can only do the one side if it hasn't been done, on a bear that I buy.  Does this make sense? So right now I have these little short tufts of hair sticking out of the seam that are attached on the cotton backing of the seam allowance in the bear.  I know, confusing.  I don't know how else to explain it.

Shanna

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

If I understand it correctly you should be able to use an awl or a sturdy needle to slide under the fur to get it to release from the seam.  I may not be understanding the problem.
Donna

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I would use a darning needle and working down each side of  the seam from the outside try to pull the fur back through and into the bear. It will take a fair bit of time I am afraid!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I would use a darning needle and working down each side of  the seam from the outside try to pull the fur back through and into the bear. It will take a fair bit of time I am afraid!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think I understand.  If there is a spot that I have not trimmed down enough before I sew the seam when I turn the bear there is hair sticking straight up in the seam allowance.  What I try to do is run a needle along the inside seam to pull the hair up into the inside.  If I can not get it all and it is still there when I turn the bear I use the little pliers to pull it out, pluck it from the fabric hair by hair.  (takes forever)

Maybe a picture would help if I am still not understanding.  Can you take one.

Joanne

Loveland

Joanne, I think you are understanding correctly.  It's just there was not trimming before hand so those few little hairs that you missed are a lot of hairs.  Thanks Jenny, for your suggestion, I was thinking that, but thought it might be hard to know if I'm pulling the hair back into the body, or if I'm just ripping through the seam allowance (not sure if they frey check the edges).  I'll try a small spot.  Thanks ladies!

Shanna

jissy Posts: 70

Can ya take a picture anyway!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  The bear sounds so cute!!! bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Glasgow

No, I understand perfectly, what I said was exactly what I've done on my most recent aged bears as I didn't trim the seam allowance given that it was sparse mohair.

Loveland

I tried pulling them out on a less obvious spot on his bottom and it mostly broke off.  I also tried to use a needle and hook it from underneath with limited success.  I think the stitching is really tight, oh well!  Thanks ladies!

Shanna

Glasgow

Ah, I was afraid the tugging might not work if the stitching was too tight or the backing too tightly woven, sorry about that

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

i once found such a spot on an allready closed bear of mine...
i cut the sticking out hair with a pointy sissor real close to the stitching, and the rest i was able to pull with a long needle ....
from the outside right in between 2 stitches, just a few stitches away of that spot, and then i was able to pull the last little bit that was left after cutting.... as it is less then a mm i was able to pull it in

Gixer Posts: 49

bein mass produced in thailand I doubt there is any trimming of the pile prior to the pieces bein sewn I've seen this quite frequentky when I've been tempted by a charlie, they tend to go back on the shelf and I oggle Kaycee bears instead  bear_wub

sorry no help on how to fix it

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Shanna, which Charlie Bear did you buy - I often give them alittle tweek and I've trimmed the odd muzzle or eye white to make them look right.  I just purchased Yvette and she needed alittle tweek, she now sits happily with my other bears.  I have a Kaycee bear too, adorable  bear_wub

Board footer