Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Gully Posts: 35

Are there many Steiff or Hermann Collectors on this Forum?

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I collect Steiff, Gund and boyds bears. But I love Hermann bears Ive just never been lucky enough to own one bear_original oh and I also collect artist bears when I can afford them.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love Steiffs, and antiques, and artist bears...  bear_wacko

Here's an example of the mix.

Becky
P1010613b.JPG

bearkidz bearkidz by Marion Fraile
charlotte
Website

I collect bears that "speak" to me. This might be a manufactured or an artist bear. I don't have a preference but most of my bears ended up to be Steiff bears, some old and some newer. It is mostly a face in a bear that attracts me, although I also have to like the feel of the mohair. I do have other critters like dogs in my collection, however mostly bears. bear_wub

Hugs,
Marion bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a Steiff, a Hermann, a Deans and a Merrythought, as well as some artists bears and some unmarked oldies.   I love old English teddies, so I would love adding more.  One at a time when I can squirrel away the cash.

Joanne

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

If it is calling my name and I can afford it at the time it's coming home with me!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Though most of the bears in my hug are artist bears, I also have several Steiff, Hermann, Merrythought, Gund, Russ and ...

Charlie Bears!   I still love these bears and even though they are made in Taiwan, I think they are great value for money and every year the designers come up with some adorable new characters.  bear_thumb

Like this one, that I couldn't resist myself: WILLIAM IV  (I think you would like him too Gully: very floppy, but quite heavy and lovely tipped plush (white tips on a brown backing)

William_IV_for_TT.jpg

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Fallenrose near Cologne

oh my gosh, peter - whhat a lovely bear  bear_wub

William 1V is very lovely Peter, quite similar to Kenny actually. How many bears do you have in your collection?

Also, please could you tell me what an artist bear is? (Excuse my ignorance!) bear_original

Fallenrose near Cologne

Gully: Artist bears are bears created by artists (and thus not massproduced) - like the bears you can see on here in the marketplace, for example^^

Hugs, Ariane

Thanks for explaining that Ariane. I was getting a little bit confused as I have a 27cms Steiff known as 'The Artist's Bear' I bought off QVC a few years ago. He is very sweet, like a mini PB55.  bear_laugh

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I have a few Merrythoughts (we used to live near the factory) and a few Hermans, but most of my collection is made up of artist bears

Gixer Posts: 49

Hodge podge here, couple artist bears picked up in a bear co-op both OOAKs
my pride and joy of my hug are my Kaycee bears (Charlie bear fans have to check them out) and they
are made in the UK bear_laugh and have just launched some stunning mohairs that are going to kill my wallet lol

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I have Steiff, Herman, Deans, Merrythought, Cottage Collectibles, Yakka, Charlie Bears , World of Minatures , and a couple of hundred Artist bears  and love them all! I have William too Peter he's lovely Mark was the last to arrive last year but my favourite so far has been Malcolm. The big Charlies are so huggable! It doesn't matter to me if they are big small old or new if they say take me home whats a girl to do!

Gully wrote:

William 1V is very lovely Peter, quite similar to Kenny actually. How many bears do you have in your collection?

Although I keep detailed records of all the bears I  have ever adopted, I stopped counting some time ago (when I reached about 200  bear_whistle ).

Peter & the bears

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Rory is my largest Charlie Bear (he was a QVC special) and I highly recommend him!  William IV is gorgeous, better than the published photo.  I have Scribbles, the shop signing event exclusive (although I couldn't get to a shop, I brought one of the leftovers after the event and had Charlie sign both my girls names on it).  I have a Kaycee bear (Tootsie) and he is beautifully made too.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I have a couple of Charlie bears, a ton of Disney Store Stitch bears (not sure if they count!), a Boyds Bear bunny and the rest of mine are all Artist bears. I do love Charlie bears but haven't got a local store that I can just pop into so that saves my wallet!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I love hearing what kinds of bears you all collect. I have some oldies in my collection (a couple of British bears from the '40s, a few American-made teds, and a little white unjointed bear I suspect is a Steiff), some modern-day Steiffs and Hermanns (some of which I am thinking about parting with bear_whistle ), and some artist-made bears. I wish I could have them all displayed. I may adopt out a few of them this year as my tastes have changed a bit. But I do love most of them for their own special qualities. bear_wub

Here's one of my sweet oldie bears (a Chiltern):

Chiltern_DeboraHoffmann.jpg

~Debora

I forgot to mention that I also have four "vintage" teddies (teddies dating from 1900 - 1960). 
Until now I haven't been especially interested in old teddies, but as I am getting older myself  bear_whistle , I am beginning to see the attraction of these old bears and I would like to have more of them in my hug.
The Chiltern Hugmee bear is entirely Paula Carter's fault, because I am jealous of her lovely collection Hugmee's !  bear_grin

Three teddies from the 1940-50's : the one in the foreground is a Chiltern Hugmee, the two at the back are Hermann Teddies

Vintage_teddies_small_size01.jpg

An English bear dating from the 1940's (possibly 30's), maker as yet unknown and the Chiltern Hugmee.

Enlgish_bear_and_Hugmee_small_size01.jpg

Peter & the bears

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Ahh, I love those pics, Peter. Your Hugmee is sweet--I just love my Hugmee! bear_wub

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I have a few artist bears that were not made by me, a few that I made, and the rest are bears that people have given me or that I've found at yard sales or thrift stores or that someone wanted to get rid of.  I love rescuing these type of bears.  Oh yes, I have one Boyd's bear Retro.  He's probably the most collectible bear I have other than my artist bears.  Most of my bears and plushies are the kind y'all would probably make fun of.  They have no monitary value, but they bring me so much joy.  Oh yeah, I even have a puppy dog that I think is actually a dog toy, but he spoke to me when I saw him at the store.  I've been laughed at by a couple of kids over him, lol.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I would love to own a Hermann bear...I have bid on a few Charlie bears but have not won one yet.  Jessie, you would love the Charlie bears!  Yep, if a bear speaks to me and I can afford him...he is mine!  Doesn't matter his "credentials"...

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Where do they sell Charlie Bears in the USA?  I don't like shopping online because I can't feel them.  Do they sell them at any stores?  I wish they carried artist bears at stores or something so I could feel them.  I know I'm weird.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What a lovely forum!  Peter, I am grinning from ear to ear ... how wonderful to see you have given an elderly Chiltern a home, I couldn't be more pleased! :dance:

As Peter has mentioned, I have a real fondness for the English Chiltern Hugmee and am happy to say, have a lovely hug ranging from the 1930's to 1950's.  I am also the lucky recipient of one of Pam Howells' (Chief Designer for the Chiltern Hygenic Toy Company through the 1950's and into the 1960's) super modern day (well, actually 1990's!) 'Chiltern Memories'.

Group.jpg
Some of my Hugmees

Chilterngroup.jpg
Spot my tribute design among his vintage friends!

rochesterandstockport.jpg
Two gorgeous 1930's Chiltern Hugmees

Aside from the Chilts, I also seem to have collected a good few artist bears over the years!  Here are a few:

WillBineRica.jpg
This lovely trio was created by Rita Diesing of Ridibears

Acorn.jpg
Little Acorn was made by Elena Barry of My Primitive Sistas

MorpheusMacPohlen.jpg
The beautiful big bear was created especially for one of my birthdays by Sandra Wickenden of Wickenden Bears.  His friend is a lovely Mac Pohlen bear.

IMG_1895.jpg
These are my very special childhood toys, including my first bear, the lovely Chiltern Hugmee teddy.

angusBBNWebsite.jpg
Angus was made by my sister Fiona Smith, back in the mid 90's.  I found him on an auction site and simply had to buy him!  After living on the other side of the world, he's now safely back home.  bear_original

There are many more super bears I'd love to share with you, but I'm in danger of hogging the thread if I don't stop here!  Maybe I'll pop back with a few other pics when more Teddy Talkers have had a chance to show off their own special bears ...

ursaminor Posts: 52

I don't have many "in my home" pics of my bears, but the only Steiff i currently and proudly own is Strauss the Rattle Bear: Steiff%20Strauss%20the%20rattle%20bear.jpg. I also have a ted I "made" at the Vermont Teddybear Factory when we visited (they let you stuff a skin and accessorize it) with a checkered tie so I named him Charlie. I also have an unnamed jointed bear I got from a yard sale, and one VERY loved Gund bear from my childhood. bear_original

Board footer