Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Advice sought !!!

I bought an item (fur coat) from ebay..and when it arrived it was not even vaguely like the colour depicted in the photographs or described in the sellers description. It was described as blonde...and was clearly plain brown.
When I approached the seller she was unhelpful and claimed she hadn't misrepresented the item and that I should have read her 'smallprint' which states she doesn't do refunds. I offered to pay the return postage if she would refund me but I got a categorical 'no'

I took it up with Ebay and Paypal and my complaint has been upheld and they have refunded my money....what do I do with the coat now? Do I  send it back..I don't want it....and as she was so unhelpful I don't feel like I want to pay to send it back to her....

What's the form on this sort of thing...does she have to pay the return postage? I have scoured eBay and can't find any info....

Jenny

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I would say as you have got your money back, its up to her to send you the money to return it to her. Otherwise I'd just stick it in the cupboard and let her sort it out. It serves her right for not being honest and upfront. On the subject of fur coats I had a lovely mink coloured cropped/bolero style one from Markone. It was out of the children's section and age 14, it was reduced from £25 to £10. They have some nice adult ones too for about £15.

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks Amanda...What I decided to do is that I emailed her and told her that I am prepared to post the item back for the same amount that she charged me (total rip-off!!!) and if I haven't heard from her in 7 days with her decision about returning it I am going to donate it to a charity shop....I think that is fair enough. I don't want it...but I don't think I should be expected to pay to return it to her...

Deb Upstate New York

It's people like that that give Ebay a bad name and scare people off.  Grrrr!  bear_angry

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jenny, I think you have a very good idea with offering it to her.  If you don't hear back, dispose of it however you like.  I hope you don't receive neg feedback for it.  There ar a few people on ebay who really do not care about thier buyers.  What is her feedback like?

warwickshire uk
Website

She has 19 negative feedbacks in 12 months...My son says I should have known better ....and yes I should....you live and learn!!!

The cheeky so and so has now sent me the invoice again..asking for payment...despite the fact that I paid within a few minutes of the auction finishing a  couple of weeks ago and Paypal have refunded me the money because they upheld my complaint....

I guess she'll now give me negative feedback citing me as a non-payer...but rest assured if I ever bid on any of your auctions... I do pay..

Sometimes I think ebay is very risky....

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

WHAT AN OLD BAT  bear_angry   bear_tongue   bear_sad   bear_wacko

Penny  bear_tongue

the seller not Jenny  :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You're so right Jenny.  Live and learn.  I am now very cautious of bidding on anything from a seller with lots of negative feedbacks. bear_angry

Penny...you're right too!!! bear_laugh

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ditto!  I've learned the hard way to ALWAYS check the feedback.   One or two negatives will not stop me out, if there is plenty other positives, or there was a problem buyer.  But it does pay to check.

I hope this will not scare you from buying furs on ebay though.  I've bought many a quality fur on ebay (knock on wood), although I do tend to stick with my tried and true sellers now.

I think your solution is the best, giving the 7 days to respond before donating it to charity.  Be sure you keep ALL email records on her, including the email, dated, indicating that she needs to pay the postage to have it returned.  That way you can cover your bases if things get nasty.  And hopefully it won't.... bear_whistle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I too learned the hard way and always check feedback before bidding now.

As far as the ol' bat is concerned... what goes around comes around.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with this "old bat".

Well, if she does give you negative feedback you can respond to it in your own feedback with an explanation. I'm sure that you have plenty of positive feedback to outweigh that one negative.

Is is against ebay policy to call her an old bat when you leave feedback for her??  bear_grin  bear_grin

Deb Upstate New York
Daphne wrote:

... always check feedback before bidding now.

YES!  I'm shopping Ebay for my camera.  I emailed the guy I think I want to buy from with a question and mentioned I was seeking sellers with only 99.5 or higher feedback.  (These guys have hundreds, sometimes thousands of sales.)  He responded and actually explained about the two negatives he has had in the past year or so (though I didn't ask for that info).  He was very nice, not blaming the buyers or pointing fingers ... so I'm feeling like this is the one.  (You'd think I was interviewing the guy to date my daughter wouldn't you?)

Jenny wrote:

She has 19 negative feedbacks in 12 months...My son says I should have known better ....and yes I should....you live and learn!!!

Jenny Jenny Jenny!  bear_wacko

WHAT AN OLD BAT           

Penny   

the seller not Jenny

LOL; thanks Penny  bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

hmmmmm    If it were ethically feasable, and I don't think it is, it would be nice to have a forum where we could share the names of the good the bad and the ugly.  But no matter which way I look at this problem I can't come up with a good feeling.  However everyone can certainly share their methods of choosing sellers.

We do have to read between the lines. 

I have a good story:

I wrote to a mini bear fabric person saying that I hadn't gotten my order.  She was on that in a hurry, concerned etc, then I found out it had slipped down and the hubs didn't know it was under the seat of the truck.  OOP  :redface:

But this lady went up in my book, because she answered so fast and was so concerned...

Now I only buy fabric one seller at a time, and I always ask when he gets home from the post office,  if he checked under the seat..... bear_original

dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Jenny, I'm so sorry that you had trouble
with this seller .   bear_sad How stressful...
I think you are very fair(so generous bear_innocent ) to sent the e-mail and offering to her....
I just hope eBay could do something if the seller leave un-fair feedback to you..

Dilu, I'm sorry for the accident !
but I'm glad you fond out soon..... bear_tongue

Hugs/Marie

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I bought a jacket off ebay 8 days ago, and payed immediately with paypal. It was actually my daughter buying a jacket, I told her she could bid 119.00 she bid 199.00
ouch. We won the jacket so I payed. Anyway six days go by and don't hear from the seller. I sent an email asking if they shipped the item yet. The next day I get an email saying the post office saying the seller has used paypal to generate a shipping label and they are expecting to recieve it. Two more days and it still hasn't been shipped on it's way. I emailed the seller again, The seller emails back that they dropped it off yesterday at the post office. Not according to the post office tracking system!!!!!
I think I am being jerked! If I don't get the jacket by next Wednesday I am filing a complaint my self.
Some people are just dishonest, I should know better I let my daughter bid on this jacket, I never checked their feedback first, they have a whole bunch of mutually withdrawn feedback, and several neutrals, not what they wanted, slow shipping, returned items. GREAT, ARGH.
My daughter wanted this jacket for Christmas, so I said yes. I should have known better. Now I could just kick myself!! bear_cry  bear_angry
kathy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey... you love your daughter and did something to please her.  Even if it turns out to be a headache, no self-kicking allowed, Miss Kathy.  You're just being a mom, and one of the best ones around at that. 

I'll keep fingers crossed that things go well in the end for you all.  Good luck!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ah girls, gee eBay can be a pile of trouble!  Good luck to the both of you!

Jenny - what a doosey of a seller!! I think you did the right thing, I wouldn't want to pay postage either!

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Yes kathy, don't kick your self please !  bear_cry 
You are just sweet mom buying the jacket for your
daughter. I hope you'll receive the jacket(is it coming from overseas ??) soon!!   :hug:

Hugs/Marie

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Interesting...I had an experience from the seller's point of view a couple months ago.  My buyer thought my photos were misrepresenting the bear - I had colour matched it on my monitor (which in no way means anyone will see the same colours on their monitor but as good as you can do in the circs) and described his colour in words - but it wasn't what she was expecting.

I had no disclaimer about monitor colour (know better now!  bear_grin  )  and no returns policy so I refunded the bear upon return, and refunded her my postage costs so it ended up costing me.  I would rather do that though than have anyone be unhappy with my product.  I'm still not sure where I stand on a returns policy - I know lots of artists say a blanket no, but buying a bear is an emotional  thing  and I think I want to err on the side of caution.  I found the whole thing really distressing.

Anyway - it all had a silver lining as he's the one that went on to win bear of show last month...

Jenny - your buyer seems like she's going to end up with no customers in the long run.  People will get very wary of her - and I don't think any negaive feed back will reflect badly on you - people with any common sense will be able to work out that you are not at fault here.

ick doesn't it just get you down though.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Good luck girls with your trouble

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The more I hear about ebay, the more I think I'll never sell on it!!  Sorry for those ebay woes, ladies!  bear_sad   bear_sad   bear_sad

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Kathy, I do hope you receive the jacket and everything goes smoothly. Hopefully it really was shipped and the USPS just isn't current with their tracking. In my experience it usually isn't very up-to-date. I have actually received a couple ebay items and the USPS tracking system still said it was "expecting to receive it."

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Sorry to hear you've been in this situation, Jenny. I've had a few tricky transactions myself but they have always been resolved. Luckily I've never met a seller as difficult to approach as yours sounds! In this case I would definitely leave negative feedback and suffer the consequences. She might not be around on eBay for much longer (if other buyers report her too) so any negative feedback she leaves you will have 'NARU' by her name (NARU = 'not a registered user' and means the member has been suspended for breaking rules).

Pity about the coat though - it must have been a disappointment  bear_sad

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I was awake this morning and why I was thinking of your jacket, I don't know, but it got me wondering. Was it real fur for bears, or plush or were you going to wear it? Just wondering as you do if you wake early! bear_wacko

Board footer