Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

ste1982 Posts: 7

Can anyone tell me if this lefray teddy is worth anything,I have attached a pic,thanks.

I couldn't get the picture to show up just click on the link and you will see it.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

He kinds of looks like a monkey.  Doesn't he?
Bears have ears on top of their heads and their faces don't usually contrast the rest of their fur.  Bears usually have pudgier bodies, too.

Now, the thing about Bears and collectibles is that they are only worth what people will pay for them.  Here's the example I always give:

If you owned an original Babe Ruth baseball card from his rookie year and it was in mint condition, you might be able to say that it's worth a million dollars.  You could very well find an expert in baseball card collecting who will testify that it's worth a million.  However, the highest price ever paid for a Babe Ruth rookie card is only $500,000.

If nobody is willing to pay a million for something is it really worth $1,000,000?

Back to the monkey...  There's a lot more to plush animals than their monetary worth.
You have to consider memories and good times.  If this adorable guy was my favorite companion when I was a child, there would be NO AMOUNT OF MONEY that I would accept for him!  That toy represents part of my life!

Certainly, it's fun to know if your favorite companion is valuable.
I can't tell for sure but he looks like he's in fair condition except for his suspender.  (Which might be fixable.)
Don't forget that children's toys like Teddy Bears aren't devalued so much by a little wear and tear.  Sometimes, it's just the opposite.  If a Bear looks "well loved" he could be MORE valuable.

For monetary value, I'd say he's worth $50.  Could be more.  Could be less.  But you need to decide.  Is he one of your favorite toys from childhood?  Or, is he something you just collected?
If he is a rare item or a famous, well-known character, he could be worth more.

But, as I said above, it's kind of a myth to think that something is super valuable unless you can find somebody willing to pay that much for it.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to disagree with Us Bears,  it's not up to you to decide the value of the bear it's the market. I would suggest trying to locate someone online who is an expert at appraising bears. Perhaps sending them pictures once you have contacted them and giving them more detail regarding the bear/monkey in question. If you happen to know the date it was manufactured is a lot of help as well. 

There are experts in all fields of antiques and arts, they are there because they are experts and have no problem in putting a value on an object base on their expert opinion.

I use to have a friend who was an established appraiser in teddy bears but unfortunately she passed away a few yrs ago or I would have put you in touch with her.

hugs

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You're right.  I was just guessing.  I thought that was clear even though I said it in a roundabout way.

To say, "An item isn't worth $1,000,000 unless you can find somebody willing to pay $1,000,000 for it," is just another way to say that the market determines the value.

The OP was nice enough to post us a picture of her plush friend but didn't get any responses.  I thought the poster deserved some kind of response after 24 hours even if the answer is speculative and non-authoritative.  I thought that was pretty clear by the tone and wording of my answer.

Taking the Bear's maker as LeFray at face value and judging the Bear's condition by looking at an internet quality photo, I'd say a good *GUESS* at his value as a *STARTING POINT* for discussion would be $50, more or less.  That *SPECULATIVE*  starting value could go up or down, depending on information that other people have to offer.

If other people have more and better information I'm certainly happy to hear it.

What is your opinion based on the parameters, so far laid out or on other information, speculation or second-hand, anecdotal evidence that you might be able to bring into the discussion?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

As I stated before I won't make any recommendation as to a starting price for this bear/monkey. My advice and recommendation was to seek out someone who has the knowledge and  professional expertise to give an answer to their question. I certainly would not speculate on the value of someone's bear especially if they were in the market for selling it I would leave that up to a professional.

In my previous post I meant to state that it was not really up to the seller to try and come up with a starting point it should be up to a professional if they were interested in an accurate price.

After reading my original post I did notice that my first line could be taken wrong, I meant that it was not up to the poster (ste1982) to come up with the value, I didn't mean you (Us Bears) I'm sorry if it came out that way  bear_whistle 

I just don't wont to be responsible for giving someone a dollar amount on their bear and be to low or to high and cost them money if they are looking to sell. That's why I would take it to a professional in the industry for an appraisal .

hugs

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Don't worry.  If I'm still talking to somebody, I'm not mad at them.
As the saying goes, "No harm, no foul."  :D

You are absolutely right.  I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways.
You say it's the market that determines value.  I said that, no matter what you think the value, it's not worth that unless you find a buyer.

Yes, to that end, it is wise to seek a competent appraiser's opinion.

Being that we do have 1,000 Teddy Bears living in our house and we have adopted many of them second hand, I will say that I have a certain amount of experience as a collector.  Without knowing more, I gave a number that I thought was a reasonable starting point for discussion.

Often times, people will just want to know if their collectibles are "trash or treasure," to turn the phrase.  I just put that number out there as a starting point for discussion, hoping that somebody else might add their opinion.

Yes, the best way for somebody to know a vintage Bear is to have a good appraiser meet him in person.   bear_thumb

thanks for the help,but his braces are in good condition,that red thing is a ribbon someone tied round his neck i'll take that off,he must be really rare as well because I haven't seen any others like him so I was hoping to get alot more than 50$.

anyone wanna buy him for 700 quid?

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I never meant to say $50 was the bottom line.  Sorry if I confused.

It's hard to tell from a picture on the internet what your friend's value should be.  As I said, I was only estimating based on what I saw.

I agree with Shane, the Bear Guy's advice.  A face-to-face meeting with a reputable appraiser is the best solution.

Jo W Posts: 22
Website

Hi, firstly I agree that he is a monkey :)
The market for selling 'teddies' is a fickle thing at the moment, so an exact value is difficult, but he is cute so his value would probably be around $20-$40 on ebay and $50 if sold at a collectors' fair. There are lots of monkey collectors now too, because they make great teddy bear 'friends'! bear_laugh

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Jo W wrote:

...There are lots of monkey collectors now too, because they make great teddy bear 'friends'! :D

Lots of our Bears have pets and plush friends!  :thumbsup:

One Bear has a pet duckling.  One has a pet hedgehog.  There are pet piglets, puppies and some Bears even have their own, tiny Teddy Bears.

bear_original

Board footer