Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Hi, guys.  I have a really basic, duh sewing question from a complete newby.  I know this site is for bear artists who know what they're doing, but I really need some help.  When I try to sew the bears up, for some reason my thread likes to get into loops and I don't realize it until I've made several stitches and I wind up wasting thread.  How do I get this not to happen?  Thanks.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Wubbie,
This site is for everyone with an interest in teddy bears! I may not be able to answer your question, but just to clarify: Are you sewing by hand? If so, what kind of stitch and what kind of thread are you using?
Becky

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I'm using heavy duty thread and just doing whatever stitch they taught me at the fabric store.  I don't know what the heck kind of stitch it is.  I just stick the needle in the bear and pull it through.  I'm a sewing idiot.  If you live in the States, I can give you my number if you can send me a PM.  I do better talking to people than I do communicating over the web.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

bear_grin too funny! And I've sent you a PM.
Becky

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I got it and I replied.  I also have some questions about this site.  I think they're trying to make me cuss, but I don't do that, so I'll just say shucky darn.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Have you tried Thread Magic?

Comes in a tiny box, and you just run your thread over it (place the thread between your finger and the slightly waxy stuff in the box and pull).  The thread runs easier when you are sewing, and doesn't seen to get quite so knotted.

Also Don't give yourself too long a thread to sew with, otherwise it will knot up.

You could also try running your thread over beeswax, but I prefer the Thread Magic.

cheers,
G

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I usually get a long thread because I'm not yet able to thread a needle, so my neighbor usually gives me a lot of thread so I'll have a lot to work with.  I think I may have a way to do it, though, and then I'll be able to use shorter pieces.

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

i just tried it if it is possible at all... still dont know it it helps you
when you start to pull the thread through, let it run through your fingers into the fabric, so at least you can feel straight away when it starts knotting and dont realise a few stitches later ....

i dont know how to avoid the knotting completely, i have it quite often too....

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Second on the thread magic, it doesn't stop knotting completely, but it helps a lot. Also, threading the needle with the knot at the cut end also seems to help reduce knotting.

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Hi Wubbie,
I second the thread magic.

I wonder have you tried to use an old fashion needle threader? it is a little disc of aluminum with a fine piece of wire in a diamond shape attached. You thread the diamond through the eye of the needle and then the thread goes through the large hole in the diamond and then you pull the diamond and the thread back through the eye of the needle.

I know my mother used to use these when she began to lose her sight. I suspect you could achieve this by feel as the wire is stiffer and you would be able to feel when it went though the eye of the needle.

i don't know if this is useful.
Warm regards
janice

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I have some of those, but I couldn't get the hang of it.  The trouble I have is getting ahold of the end of the thread and getting it to attach to the needle.  I have needles with big ol' honking eyes, but I just can't get ahold of the thread.  They need to invent a needle with a clasp on the end that you can open and then close it around the thread.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
wubbiebear wrote:

I have some of those, but I couldn't get the hang of it.  The trouble I have is getting ahold of the end of the thread and getting it to attach to the needle.  I have needles with big ol' honking eyes, but I just can't get ahold of the thread.  They need to invent a needle with a clasp on the end that you can open and then close it around the thread.

Wubbie, there are needles you don't have to thread, the thread slips down through a slot in the top of the eye. I have a feeling they are called self threading needles.

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Ah karen you jogged my memory.
here are some links
http://www.visionaware.org/sewing_for_t … low_vision

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Janicemarie, I could kiss you.  Thanks.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I wish you could find a needle threader like mine.  You just put the needle, eye first, into a hole then lay the thread over a slot and push the little lever...voila...threaded needle.  Works great and I think it would be a cinch for you even though you can't see...

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Where did you find that?

karenaus Melbourne
Website
wubbiebear wrote:

Where did you find that?

Lovenshire sounds Like she's describing a Clover brand threaded I've seen at various places... Maybe a quilting supply place, or google Clover needle threader.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I sew by hand rather than a machine.  Would I be able to use this kind of threader?  Also, about how much do they cost?

karenaus Melbourne
Website
wubbiebear wrote:

I sew by hand rather than a machine.  Would I be able to use this kind of threader?  Also, about how much do they cost?

Not sure where in the world you are, but here's the link to the US Clover page... $14.95. 

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/407 … e_Threader

It seems to be very simple to use.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Maybe I'll get one of those if I can't figure it out using the method they suggested on the web site someone provided on here.  Yes, I'm from the USA, about a half hour from Nashville, Tennessee.  If you like country music, which I hear is pretty popular in Australia, you probably know about Nashville.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

the thread knots up because it gets twisted during the normal motion of sewing.  you can counter the twist by training yourself to roll the sewing needle between your thumb and forefinger after you've made your stitch, as you're drawing the thread and pulling it tight.  it takes a little practice and you have to roll in the opposite direction of the twist, but it works very well for me.

another trick (avoiding unthreading the needle while sewing) is to pull all the excess thread through the needle eye until the needle is tight to the fabric, and then run your wax or TM - or even a wet finger - over the thread tail, pick up your needle and continue sewing

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Agree with Kelly: give your needle that little bit of an UN-twist after every st and your thread won't tangle.
It takes a bit of remembering in the beginning, but it becomes second-nature after a while. (Check which way your thread 'wraps' - Z or S twist - and give the needle a bit of a sideways slide between your thumb & forefinger after every st while you're pulling it through the fabric...
Not that the Magic Thread wouldn't help, too, but on some threads it remains a just bit sticky in the beginning, until it picks up a bit of lint while passing through your fabric (or gets buffed, I never could determine which it was) especially, in humid weather (at least it did for me.)

You can also just drop the needle and let the thread untwist after every few sts, but that's only if it's threaded with a thread which doesn't slide easily out of the needle's eye. I always used Mettler's Metrosene Plus (Swiss Made) and it was crisp enough to never form a bend at the eye; the needle would have always slid right off.

audley Posts: 16

I found my Clover Desk Needle Threader at JoAnn Fabrics on line.  It comes in different colors.  It does work very well.  I use the smallest quilting needle which has a minute eye to sew my miniature bears and it really works even with the thread doubled.  Wonderful!  There are times that Jo-Ann has a coupon that applies to mail orders also for 40% off.   
Audrey

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

We've got a(n absolutely crappy) JoAnn's nearby. I hate it, especially after visiting the JoAnn's SuperCenters in other States. It's a hole-in-the-wall shop that tries to have a little bit of every craft, including a floral dept, upholstery, dye/decorate-your-own-basic-all-white-clothing-blanks and consequently never has anything in stock - - - - and it's all mashed into about 1200 sq ft of space.
I refuse to go there; unfortunately, the Hancock's Fabrics nearby just closed so I don't know what I'll do in future... look up the quilting shops I guess for notions and thread, and trek into the fringe areas of downtown Chicago (e.g., Fishman's) for good fabrics.

I really envy you all who have great local sewing shops - you never know (appreciate) what you've got until it's gone and you can't just pop out for a zipper or a quick 'something' you need NOW! I can now empathize with our overseas friends who don't have the availability of the many products we have here in the States. And makes one more appreciative of what we do have!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Aww, our Joanne's is made out of awesome.  They even have faux fur there.  I think I'm a walking commercial for them now.  Every time I walk in there, they're like, "Oh, you're the bear maker."

Board footer