Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Teddy Bear Friends: I have been toying on making a mini Raggedy Ann bear. I love the wonderful, curly hair Wanda Shope has on her bears. I know you can take damp yarn and put it on knitting needs to dry in the oven. That gives it the curls. But, how do you attach it to the head? Do you put it on in sections? What about bangs? How is that done? Is this technique in a book somewhere? If so, which book?

So many questions... but anybody who knows please let me know....

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh, good question Michelle bear_smile   bear_smile  I am into raggedy dolls right now, havn't finished one but still really into them. Another thing I wonder is if the curls hold or if poor raggedy  wakes up one morning with limp locks  bear_tongue
I just saw your avatar, your kitties are beautiful bear_wub   bear_wub Kirby got skunked last week and I had to bath him, not fun bear_wacko   bear_wacko

Shari: you have a great question too about how do the curls hold up. I hope somebody can help us... As for your kitty, he got skunked? Oh my....that must have been terrible. I don't envy giving that bath!!!

Hello Teddy Bears Friends: I posted this question three years ago and wondered if there'd is anybody out there that may have the answer?

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I make Raggedy's all the time but they do not have curls sooooo I can't help.  I stitch the hair on one lock at a time...for my black raggedys  I put their hair in small braids all over their head with different colored ribbons on them.

Raggedydollsmall.jpg

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Michelle,

Maybe you could try the technique reborn doll artists use to give their creations hair, the so-called rooting. It is done by means of a rooting needle which to me looks a bit like a felting needle (and I guess you could even use one on bears). I won't try to explain the technique for I think it's easier to look how it is done. I am attaching a link to a site with some video tutorials about reborn doll hair rooting. I think you could do the same with strands of wool or longer curly mohair and root the 'hair' into your bears' head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpfMji8J … r_embedded

I hope you can do something with this?

Lenora and Marrianne: thank you so much for the tips. Lenora, your doll is cute as a button!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Have you had a look at Woodland Teddies.  They do hair extensions which may be what you want, and I am sure they can give advice on how to attach.

http://www.woodlandteddies.co.uk/hair.htm

cheers,
G

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I'd have thought there'd be lots of doll making sites that would offer lots of ideas for attaching hair?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

That would be my recommendation as well just check some of the doll sites and perhaps they have the answer you are looking for.

Board footer