Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Here goes another basic question.  My needle came off the thread when I was trying to pull it through to make a stitch.  What should I do?  I've got quite a long piece of thread here and I don't want to waste it.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Maybe you needed to pull the thread further through your needle?
    That would make it less likely to come unthreaded.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Can I fix it now or do I need to get a new thread?

karenaus Melbourne
Website

No just rethread the needle.. Unless I'm not understanding something? Just rethread and carry on

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

if you can get someone to thread it for you ... you just go on bear_original

if not, lay the thread aside and take a new one for now till someone threads for you again bear_original

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Jessie, if you run the thread through a disk of beeswax before you use it that will help too. Just pull it through the wax after you have threaded the needle.  Be sure to pull it through the needle quite a ways and check it after a few stitches.  Mine pulls up sometimes but having eyeballs I can see when it does that!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

That's only happened to me one other time.  Should I keep it attached to the bear while threading or cut it off?

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Keep it attached and rethread the needle then keep on the way you were!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

have you tried using double thread?  Makes it stronger and would stop this problem.  Just thread the needle and feel for both ends of the thread then tie together.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

That's what I do.  I'm not sure what happened there.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Ah! I think I know your problem! The eye of the needle has worn the thread and has broken it (if I understand that you were using a doubled thread, yes?) You might need to change your needle if it keeps happening, I usually toss them if they do that as it means they have a rough bit inside the eye from manufacture and aren't worth persisting with! You can rethread both the threads but you will have to be careful when pulling your stitches that you don't keep pulling the thread off the needle! It will probably be easier for you (with no eye balls bear_whistle ) to simple start a new thread. Of you go back a few stitches and resew a little you should be able to then snip off the old thread.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Maybe so.  I just hate to waste all that thread.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi wubbie,

Did you see the note about the small half-twist I posted under your other topic you began on the 16th, called - "I did it!"
That will definitely keep your needle from coming off the thread. I probably should have put it here...

audley Posts: 16

I hate when that happens too, but I discovered a new needle threader from JoAnn Fabrics that runs about $14.99. You place the thread through a slot and put the needle through the hole and press the leaver and presto, it's threaded.  I use the smallest needle possible and never thought that this would work but even wih the thread doubled, it goes through.  Now I don't care if my thread comes out because it's easy to rethread it.  I bought it on line but you can get it at a large JoAnn Fabric store also.

Good luck. Audrey

Board footer