Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

when I'm sewing a tiny bear by hand, I sometimes have the problem that the footpad is kind of turning to the right on boths feet,
I don't want that, they had to be straight up/down, how can I change it ? I use backstitch.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Do you tack them in place first? When I make tiny bears I sew a single tacking stitch at the toe and heel amd maybe one each side to make sure each foot pad is properly fitted. Also, are you using running or stab backstitch? I feel stab backstitch wouldn't cause this problem.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I do the same thing Linda does. I tack down the toe, heal and both sides of the foot pad. than sew all the way around. Buy doing this I have not had any problems.

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

hi.

thanks for the answers, I use  stab backstitch, but don't secure the footpad before I start - will try that  bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Lisa, I use the backstitch as well when sewing in mini bear foot pads. I start at the seam on the center of the foot at the toe so don't bother tacking there as my first stitch will hold it in place there and then instead of tacking at the opposite end (seam of leg at heel) I hold it in place with a little alligator clip. Faster than doing the tacking stitches and has always worked great for me! On bigger bears I do the same thing but also put alligator clips at the center of each side of the foot pad as well.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I sew two sides at once!  Thread two needles, start at the 'toe' and alternate stitches (one left side, 1 right side).

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen
Clarebear wrote:

I sew two sides at once!  Thread two needles, start at the 'toe' and alternate stitches (one left side, 1 right side).

that is a very good ide, I think that it migth help me, thanks    bear_thumb

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen
edie wrote:

Lisa, I use the backstitch as well when sewing in mini bear foot pads. I start at the seam on the center of the foot at the toe so don't bother tacking there as my first stitch will hold it in place there and then instead of tacking at the opposite end (seam of leg at heel) I hold it in place with a little alligator clip. Faster than doing the tacking stitches and has always worked great for me! On bigger bears I do the same thing but also put alligator clips at the center of each side of the foot pad as well.

I don't have space for a aligator clip, its very small bears on 4-5 inch    bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I don't have space for a aligator clip, it's very small bears on 4-5 inch

Me, too. No space on 2" - 3" bears either, when the pad is only ½" - ¾" long. And any other type of *holder* just got in my way and the thread constantly hung up on it with every st I took.
I tacked...center top & bottom. We each find what works best; Thk Goodness there are so many different methods!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I use aligator clips even on my two inch bears! Guess I've just gotten used to doing it that way. My clips are pretty small.

Board footer