Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Karon Posts: 751

Hi there

Does anyone use "air drying clay" for noses and eyelids?

ursaminor Posts: 52

I've found most air drying clay to be not durable - HOWEVER there are clays out there which air dry and are FANTASTIC to use, and extremely durable. I'd try the following:

Epoxie clay
Epoxie sculpt

They dry incredibly hard and are easy and not messy to work with. You do have to work a bit fast as they are air-drying though. From there you can sand or paint the material as you like - sanding will not make this stuff fall apart. You can get these two clays for a great price at most taxidermy supply shops; I get mine from Van Dyke's taxidermy supply: http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

(to give you an idea of what can be made with this stuff, I made a werewolf mask for myself for halloween last year. The nose, face sculpting under the felt and the teeth are all made with epoxy clay/sculpt: th_werewolfcompilation.jpg)

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I use Milliput.  It stays workable for about 30 minutes and is extremely strong.

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I use magic sculpt which is an epoxy clay.  It comes in 2 parts that you mix together and then you have about an hour before it's dry.  You can add a little water to it and it works just like clay bear_original Once it's dry it's like resin and very hard.  It can be sanded, drilled or have what ever done too it.  I've used it for eyes, noses and horns.  But I still mostly use good old polymer clay because of the price ^_^

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I was wondering about this too Karon (after a particularly bad experience with fimo and my oven  bear_grin ) so on Sue's advice, I brought some Milliput (from ebay).  Hope to have a play sometime soon!

Board footer