Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

ursaminor Posts: 52

Three parter question for all of you:

1.) What size of baby clothes generally fits a 10" and 22" bear? 

2.) It is hard for me to visualize teddy sizes in my head until I start sewing and they wind up being smaller than I'd like. I'd want to make a teddy that a child or adult can cuddle and carry in their arms; I've found the 10"-15" is rather on the small end for this. Would that be more a 22"-25" bear?

3.) Does anyone here on Teddy Talk sell bear clothes? I'd love to get an idea of what's out there.

Thanks for all your help in advance! Teddyhugs~

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

1) I'm not sure about baby clothes fitting because bears are a rather different shape than babies (well, mine are anyway lol)

2) Yes, 22"-25" is rather bigger, ie around the 2ft mark

3) I've made some clothes, but I'm only just beginning.  I suggest you get hold of a copy of The Doll's Dressmaker by Venus Dodge (I really think her parents must have hated her lol)  It has a range of pattern pieces over a range of sizes.  Get hold of the book, a photocopier and some cheap cotton (I use cotton sheeting)  I photocopied all the pattern pieces so they were easier to trace, then traced out roughly the size of the bear onto the sheeting, and then worked out what needed to be tweaked.  If you read the text through the book it tells you a lot more about the 'tweaking' in rather more technical terms lol

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Ursa . . . I have a book called "Making Lovable Teddy Bears and Their Clothes" by Marion Thielmann and Beate Franz.  Copyright date is 1998, so don't know if it's still available, but it has several different patterns - some for bigger bears.  You might try Amazon or ebay.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I think for what you want a 20" bear would be just right.  I think the 22-25 would be a little too big.  Especially the 25!  It is hard to imagine what they will look like but the 20" has always been a "big bear" to me.  The 25" one is just too big...

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I know that some of the reborn dolls in the 20-22 inch long range wear Newborn or 0-3 month size clothes.  Maybe that will help.

/miniteddyhugs,

veracartier Teddy Bear Clothes
Massachusetts
Website

ui28611ui21782napkins.jpgbear_original I just wanted to mention that clothes and accessories for teddy bears can also be found at http://www.teddybearclothes.com
We have one of the largest selection of outfits and costumes and our line changes frequently.
For wholesale accounts, we have our sweaters  for teddy bears and our plain tshirts for teddy bears in 8,10 and 15 inch sizes.
Our wholesale site is http://www.sweatersforteddybears.com
Happy Memorial Day to all!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

The two books I have that are great for bear clothes are -

"The Well Dressed Bear" by Geraldine Thistlethwaite

"Making and Dressing Traditional Teddy Bears" by Brian and Donna Gibbs.

I also have a couple of Japanese books for clothes.

ursaminor Posts: 52

Thanks for all the help everyone - I will have to look into all the book recommendations! The "Well Dressed Bear" looks fantastic - And thanks for the website, vera, those are some cute sweaters! bear_original

Board footer