Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I just thought i'd share some pictures of my new arrival with you all. As some of you know, I have pet chinchillas. I did have 3. I now have 4  bear_whistle

We drove about 1 1/2 hours away to pick up the guy of my dreams. I've wanted a white one for a while and a friend of a friend had one for sale.  bear_wub  it's been a long wait! I reserved him when he was 2 days old and have picked him up now he's 12 weeks old. He's so very pretty.

He hasn't got a name yet, we like to wait a while and see what fits him.

So here's some piccies for you all -

P7030050.jpg

P7030048.jpg

P7030045.jpg

and in his little custom house my friend made for him -

P7030049.jpg

Enjoy!  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Oh what little bundles of sweetness.

Joanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

He's adorable, Julia!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

What a darling boy! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Becky

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

AWWW I want one. I have never seen one before, didn't even know they existed lol  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

very cute - the angle of those ears gets me everytime ! AAAWWWWW ! xxxxx bear_happy

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

It kinda looks like a mouse, rabbit and possum rolled in to one animal. Are they rabbit sized or smaller, pictures are hard to tell sizing. bear_original

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Aww, he's very, very sweet.  bear_wub  His fur looks so scrummy, I want to run my fingers through it and feel the softness.

Regards

Lisa

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

He is very, very cute  bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awwwww!!!!!!!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids
Sherroy wrote:

It kinda looks like a mouse, rabbit and possum rolled in to one animal. Are they rabbit sized or smaller, pictures are hard to tell sizing. :)

He's quite little at the moment, he would sit in your hand no problem. An adult is around the size of a dwarf rabbit, or a guinea pig, but not as long as a guinea pig, if that makes any sense??

Here's one of Lucky, my boy with attitude with my sister -

P3090272.jpg

Maybe that will help with showing the size? Lucky is a smallish adult male. This is what he does if you try to kiss him and he doesn't want to... :crackup: 

For anyone with time and research to take care of them (their food needs are simple, but they must have a controlled environment temperature and humidity wise or they can overheat and die) They make great pets and are full of personality and attitude - as seen above! They are a very long lived species for a small furry. Average old age 10-15 years BUT it's not unheard of to live into their 20's. The oldest comfirmed Chin died aged 28 and the oldest unconfirmed was believed to be around 32 years old!

I love Chinchillas  bear_wub

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

ohhh what a pretty thing !!! i understand you in love with it :D

i had a black one, like on julias pickture, and he was soooooooo cute :D
sadly i got him when he was allready rather old, and after 1 year he died bear_sad

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

He is adorable, Julia, with his tiny paws and his long furry tail.  bear_wub

Jaina wrote:

We drove about 1 1/2 hours away to pick up the guy of my dreams. :

I am glad you found the guy of your dreams!  bear_grin   Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places for the gal of my dreams?  :crackup:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

:crackup:  Peter your so funny!

I often drool over the Chins at our local Petland but wondered how hard it would be to look after one.  I rather like the little chipmunks they have there as well at the mo but I thought they might not be so friendly with the kids.  I love Lucky's face  bear_grin  and the colouring of your new one is gorgeous.  Let us know when you think of a name  bear_original

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi Ali,

They are not too difficult day to day, all they need is hay, pellets and water (and mini shredded wheat is a fav). The problem is keeping the temperature down. Ideally, around 20 degrees C, so everytime we have a hot day, I have to turn on an air conditioner unit in their room. They are so densely furred that they can't loose heat easily and can die.

They are generally healthy little critters but when something does go wrong, they die quickly so a Good (often expensive) exotics vet is essential. Nursing them back to health can be intense. They are not so much suitable for young kids certainly, as they often want to cuddle them and Chins on the whole do not like that. a Chin slave's job is to be a climbing frame that provides food. Lucky is often found sat on my shoulder like a parrot. They also need delicate handling. for older responsable kids they would be fine (but it's a long term commitment potentially)

Chipmonks on the other hand from my experience are horrible bitey things. Chinchillas rarely bite at all and tend to be docile.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

P.s. if you are ever tempted, Do not buy from Pet stores. There is a UK based rescue that has over 200 needing homes -

http://rj-chinchillarescue.co.uk/

or you will pay much less from a breeder. My local pet store has a baby white in and they want almost £50 more than I paid for my boy  bear_ermm

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Thanks for the advice Julia.  I know what you mean about Petland prices, also the one near me doesn't seem to have particularly healthy animals.  I've heard of a few stories where their rabbits and guinea pigs are often ill or die shortly after being purchased.  bear_cry  I have always brought my dogs from animal shelters and, if we ever decide on another animal, we would probably go there first. Had to have a nosey at the website you sent me, would love to adopt them all  bear_grin

Board footer