Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Can you dye mohair that is already coloured?  I have a piece of string which is a reddish brown - I assume I can only go darker therefore possibly a darker brown or black.  Is it possible?

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Leanne,
Yes, it's called "overdye" and it is possible!  You could put almost any color over it and you will notice a difference, of course with it being a dark color already, the color will only become darker but sometimes you end up with some really unique colors!  I think green or blue  would make a pretty color over the reddish brown that you are starting with!
Have fun!
Hugs,
Janice

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You can also lighten the color with color remover or bleach.  Then you can add a different color.  You might also consider a tea dye.
Donna

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Leanne and Donna,
The thing with color remover or bleach is that they tend to "burn" the mohair a bit leaving the feel not nearly as soft as it was
to begin with!   If you do choose to do that, you can use the Mane N'Tail Detangle (for horses but you can buy at Beauty Supply Stores such as Sally's Beauty Supply) and that works wonders to soften it back up!
Hugs,
Janice

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have found that you also have to consider the original color when over-dyeing.  If the color is red brown and you dye blue it will have a purple undertone.  If you dye green it will be brownish green, they are opposite on the color wheel so the green will neutralize the brown. 

Just thinking back to all those years coloring hair in a salon. The same principles apply.

Joanne

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

Another thing you can do is to dab the dye on it here and there with a sponge for a mottled effect.

/miniteddyhugs,

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Hmm such wonderful possibilities.  Will see what I can come up with.  Anyway, who said a bear has to be brown?    bear_happy

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Joanne, that's what I love about dyeing - I love those purple undertones and when you over dye brownish red with green, it turns out very pretty!  Leanne, you are right, who says a bear has to be brown?!  Have FUN playing with the dyes - come up with your own unique color for your bear   bear_original
Hugs,
Janice

Board footer