Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Solomon_Bear Posts: 6

I'm an independent author/publisher who's completed an original fable about a Teddy Bear.  I'm hoping to reach a few arctophiles who would consider writing a thoughtful personal review online in exchange for a free (ebook) copy.

Would you be interested?  bear_smile

The story is, I hope, true to the purest of Teddy Bear ideals. It's been years in the writing, all done with the intent to engage and uplift the human spirit.

Here is a short description of The Story of Solomon Bear:
~~~
A girl and her teddy bear share a promise to keep love alive in a home where it’s been all but forgotten. When they are forced apart one day, Solomon Bear is determined to find her at any cost!

In the tradition of The Velveteen Rabbit and The Little Prince comes Solomon Bear. At once a children's romance and a fable about rediscovering innocence and self-love, this sentimental tale has the capacity to transcend genre and age boundaries. For while a taste for porridge, marmalade, or honey might make a bear more human, Solomon would remind us: it is love that brings us all to life.
~~~
The story is presented as a 90 page chapter book with charcoal internal illustrations. 

Offer details:
1. I can provide review copies in the most popular ebook formats; PDF, Kindle & Epub.
2. There is no obligation to write a review - especially if you don't like or finish the story.  However, if the story inspires you, it would be ideal if you were able to share that enthusiasm with others in your own words. Amazon.com (or Amazon UK/DE) is one place where your opinion will really count and I ask those who appreciate the story to kindly consider leaving a review there.

Please contact the author via PM or post below if you are interested or have any further questions. bear_thumb

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Hi, I'm Jessie, the human mom of Arcto from the blog.  I would love to read your story.  I don't use Amazon very much, but I'll try and I can definitely have Arcto review it on his blog.  BTW, you got me excited when you said you were looking for arctophiles.  I would love to read it.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

No illustrations? I don't think that would interest many buyers? A book such as this calls out for illustrations  bear_ermm

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I agree, children in this age group should really have illustrations to help with their imagination and also give them something to look at if they are having the story read to them.  It keeps their interest and concentration going, 50 pages is a long story otherwise.  bear_original

wubbiebear wrote:

Hi, I'm Jessie, the human mom of Arcto from the blog.  I would love to read your story.  I don't use Amazon very much, but I'll try and I can definitely have Arcto review it on his blog.  BTW, you got me excited when you said you were looking for arctophiles.  I would love to read it.

Great Jessie. Thanks for your interest and the offer for Arcto to review on the blog! I'll send you a PM with details shortly.

I appreciate the other points about illustrations. It is something that may be in the pipeline. However I think the most important thing is to engage a reader's heart with words, then leave room for their own imagination to paint in the details. But then a writer (or poet) would say that.  bear_rolleyes  (If truth be told, if I ever successfully graduate from stick figures I would consider illustrating a few scenes myself.)

Within the story itself Solomon is asked why anyone should bother listening to him talk about love, because "He's only a Bear". He insists: "Love is just what Bears do!"

As suggested in the blurb, this fable is perhaps best for those of school age and above. But I wouldn't say it's only a story for children. Good children's stories can speak to adults as well. In a way Solomon Bear can be read as a fable about the challenges of retaining beauty and compassion in the world, and the vital role children (and Bears!) can play in helping us remember our human worth. Having said that, much of the beauty of fiction to me is that readers are free to find their own meaning.

FluffyFriends Posts: 19

Sounds good to me.  I would be interested too.

FF x

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi friends,

I had the pleasure to read Philip's "Solomon Bear" story and I am very pleased that I did.  bear_thumb

Philip has a written a beautiful traditional story about a teddy bear and his girl and the love they share.
Of course they are some sad passages which brought a tear to my eye.  bear_cry

What impressed me especially is the quality of Philip's writing: his prose is really a joy to read!  :clap:
The story itself is a very moving, sometimes sad but sometimes very funny as well.  There are some great scenes between Solomon and the other toys in the house.

You can read the full review I wrote for Amazon here : http://www.amazon.com/Story-Solomon-Bea … 760&sr=8-2

If you are a real arctophile, I am convinced that you will love this story as much as I did.
If you send a message to Philip, he will send a free copy, so you can evaluate it yourself.   

You won't be disappointed!  :dance:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

I would also read your story, I am quite fond of some children's books.

However I do agree that with the ages that you have described best for, illustration is important. What draws children to books is the pictures, even if the story is the best a child will not pick it up if the pictures don't call to them... A young adult or adult is a different story.
I am an avid reader of all books but if the cover doesn't grab my eye to start with I usually won't pick it up. (Unless I am a fan of the writer)

If it were a possibility I would definitely try for illustrations but I can understand if its not possible, a child on the other hand is a different matter.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Peterbear, his story also made Arcto and me cry like babies and then go AWWWWWWW.

Thanks very much to Peter and Wubbie for their support. Wubbie's review can be found here on Arcto's blog:
http://belovedteddybear.wordpress.com/2 … omon-bear/

For anyone interested you can find a free sample of the first chapter or two here:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/66596

BTW Sherroy I'll send you a PM later today.

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

I would like to read the story and write a review for Amazon, as well!   Maybe photographs of an artist's bear would work for your illustrations?  Quite a few years ago a lady published a book about Christmas and she used all artist bears for her illustrations.   She photographed the bears in different scenes depicting the story of Christmas (kind of like what Peter does with his bears, how he photographs them to tell a story).   She used one of my bears as an Angel, I still have a copy of her book!  I bet you could find some TT artist's to help with "Solomon"!  Just an idea -
Hugs,
Janice

sandlalouer Luxembourg

Hi Philip,
I would love to read your book!!! I went on amazon and it says you need a kindle .... do not have that on my pc .... Can you help? No printed evrsion at all?
Thanks,
Sandrine

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
sandlalouer wrote:

Hi Philip,
I would love to read your book!!! I went on amazon and it says you need a kindle .... do not have that on my pc .... Can you help? No printed evrsion at all?
Thanks,
Sandrine

Sandrine, I also don't have a kindle or e-reader, but Philip sent me the story in PDF file, so I will ask him to send you one.

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Thanks everyone for the interest in the story.  bear_smile  I have sent PMs to Sherroy, Janice and Sandrine with details of how you can receive a review copy.

As Peter kindly mentioned, copies are available in many electronic formats, for reading on any PC, e-reader, tablet, or electronic device. I am also looking into a print version at the moment, although that might still be a few months away. I shall certainly post here when it becomes available.

sandlalouer Luxembourg

Thanks Peter and Philip!!! Sending you PM in a minute Philip.  bear_wub

FluffyFriends Posts: 19

I actually read this book to my two little people Diesel  who is 7 and Dakota who is 5, and can I just say they both loved it as did I thanks so much for allowing us a free copy of this, it is a lovely story.  Illustrations would and could only make it better and perhaps a little more interesting for all our little people, buit all in all a fab story I loved i

FFx

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Phillip, thanks for the plug.  Man, Arcto really needs to update his blog ASAP.

Board footer