Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Snookums Posts: 285

I've worked this pattern several times for the past few days, and every single time I put the bear's legs on, the leg leg turns out to the side. It's driving me batty!! I've tried switching the legs and that didn't work. I assembled a new leg...didn't work. I repositioned the joint hole, tried original and newly assembled leg, and even that didn't work!!! That same leg keeps turning outward. The right leg is perfect..his little toes point toward the ceiling, like they should. The toes on the left leg point to the wall bear_sad .The bear is utterly adorable but that turned out left leg is driving me nuts! Hubby says it adds to his charm.

Can anyone come up with a possible solution...or am I just being waaaaay to anal about this?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I know some people who weight the feet on their bears so that the leg turns out to the side when sitting.  It may be where the leg is jointed to the body, one might be sitting back just a smidge further than the other.  But yes I think you are worrying too much.  Your husband is right it will just add to the charm. 

But just to be sure how are the legs when the bear is in a standing position?  Are they both appearing to fall at the same angle?  If not then it is where you have it jointed.  A picture would be good.

Joanne

The-Bear2.JPGHere's the bear. He's out of my hands now, but he got hugged and squeezed, as did I. He was al gift to a special someone...and she didn't care that he's a little...lopsided(?)!! I wish that I could have worked the "bugs" out before I gave him away...but she didn't care!!

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

I think if you had moved the hole for the joint on the leg that is falling off to the side up a bit - by up, I mean closer to the top seam not closer to the opening at the top (only about 1/8 or 1/4") and then remove just a bit of stuffing from the ankle and foot, it would straighten it out.  I personally think he looks cute just the way he is, though!
Hugs,
Janice

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Snookums wrote:

Here's the bear. He's out of my hands now, but he got hugged and squeezed, as did I. He was al gift to a special someone...and she didn't care that he's a little...lopsided(?)!! I wish that I could have worked the "bugs" out before I gave him away...but she didn't care!!

Aww, what a lovely teddy bear!!

-- Thomas Adam

Bakerina78 Posts: 326

My guess, when you cut fur, you probably miss right direction of fur, like Pink said.
If the back of fur is knitted, if you don't follow direction of pattern this mistake might happend.

BUt I agree with everybody - Bear is really cute!!!

Good luck,
Tatyana

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

I have found that when I make larger bears (I usually make bears less than 4 inches tall) quite a few have ,what I call "left leg syndrome" I think it has something to do with the fact I am right handed and the way I joint the legs, It may also be to do with the way the legs are stuffed.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

This is very common and has alot to do with the fabric and your sewing. When sewing legs you need to make sure that the same side is facing toward you for each. By this I mean if you sewed the first leg with the outer leg facing you, then you need to do the same with the second leg (have the outer leg facing you). Also, when you are cutting out the fabric you must be sure that the grain of the fabric is running in the same direction on all four leg pieces, this will help elliminate the twist. Left and right handedness can also cause this somewhat, as you will have a "bias" in the way you stuff limbs. I often see bears with their legs both pointing in the same direction, which seems to be a much more worrisome problem than just one leg doing it! I wouldn't get too stressed about it, you will eventually work out what the problem is, it's all part of the learning.  bear_original

Thanks everyone!! I was so discouraged with this pattern, but I will try it again.
Lisa

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Along time ago when I was first learning to make bears, in a book that I had they talked about watch the way you stuff the legs so they do not turn out like eqyptian legs they called it.  so maybe it was a stuffing problem or the way you hold the leg to stuff it??  I do not know if this will help for the next one.
The bear looks great to me.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I think it mostly has to do with the way the leg is stuffed.  Somehow the fabric is getting just twisted a little at a time and isn't really noticed till the end.  I had this happen to a dogs body. It was perfect until I stuffed it then it all went wrong.  I took it apart and took special care and it came out fine.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I agree...it is the way the leg is stuffed....right handed people usually have a problem with the left leg.  You have to be careful to turn the leg often when you are stuffing it...

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

That happens to me a lot but then again - I'm no artist!!  I think he is adorable anyway.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Lisa.........................as Gail says iots left leg syndrome  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

The more you practice the more it disappears xx

FenBeary Folk wrote:

Lisa.........................as Gail says iots left leg syndrome  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

I certainly hope so!! The bear I stuffed today is suffering an even worse case of left leg syndrome!!  bear_noexpression

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Try turning the bear so he is sitting the opposite way.  I find I end up doing that naturally.  If I'm doing one leg the bear will be upside down but face towards me when I do the other he is upside town face away from me.  It seems to help.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK
Snookums wrote:
FenBeary Folk wrote:

I certainly hope so!! The bear I stuffed today is suffering an even worse case of left leg syndrome!!  :|

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: I know what you mean, mine got worse before it got better

Don't worry too much, just carry on making your lovely bears and enjoy xx

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I stuff my legs right up to the joint point before I attach them to the bear, then the body doesn't get in the way of steering the stuffing stick.  Try that, I don't get wonky legs  bear_original   Actually I don't choose which is right and left until they're stuffed and literally standing in front of me, but that's another story lol

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I use set screws to joint my bears, so I close and stuff the legs and arms before they are joined to the body. I also complete the paw pad treatment before I attach them.  For me, it is easier to keep them straight and I can maneuver them around more when they are not attached to a body and head!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Just to throw my twopenneth into the mix ...  I think it's important to make sure you have the weave of the fabric (we're talking backing here, not pile) running identically for both parts of the leg, ie., when I place both my leg pattern pieces on the backing I always have them perpendicular and symmetrical, so they are positioned as if standing.  If one crosses the weave at an angle and the other is straight for example, that might cause a twisted leg when stuffed.

The other thing you may find helps is to joint your limbs to the body before you finish stuffing them.  I always stuff the body first (head and limbs attached - partially stuffed) then position the legs as though the bear is sitting and finish stuffing the tops of the legs before closing seams.  Also, when you stuff, think of it more as sculpting than stuffing, so as you add stuffing, continually feel and look at how the leg is taking shape.

It may also be a case of slightly miscalculating the position of the left leg ... maybe it is set a little further back from the seam for example. Or (just thinking aloud as I type here!) it could be that your seam allowance on the body varies slightly on either side of the body.

Board footer