Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bear in Mind Posts: 3

Hi there im just new here  and am hoping you can help with my problem of finding out anything about my bear.
I bought this bear at a car boot sale in N Ireland and the man I bought it from said he had bought it for his wife (girlfriend then)when she was 16 and they have been married for 40 years now.
The bear is about 40" high and has no labels or marks that i can see. The eyes seem plastic the bear has tongue of red felt and also has a red on white polka-dot bow tie around his neck with a sort of gold elastic  of some sort.

bear.jpg

i know nothing more about him but would like to know something about him  bear_original

thanks for any help you may give.. i'm just frustrated that i've found nothing so far on 2 days of searching the internet

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Bear in Mind wrote:

Hi there im just new here  and am hoping you can help with my problem of finding out anything about my bear.
I bought this bear at a car boot sale in N Ireland and the man I bought it from said he had bought it for his wife (girlfriend then)when she was 16 and they have been married for 40 years now.
The bear is about 40" high and has no labels or marks that i can see. The eyes seem plastic the bear has tongue of red felt and also has a red on white polka-dot bow tie around his neck with a sort of gold elastic  of some sort.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload/2010/bear.jpg

i know nothing more about him but would like to know something about him  :)

thanks for any help you may give.. i'm just frustrated that i've found nothing so far on 2 days of searching the internet

Aww, isn't he a loved bear.  :)

Most bears of this style that I've come across (and I have a similar one) with the sticky-out tongue tend to come from places like fairgrounds or fetes, etc.   Is that possible in this case, do you think?  He seems of that type to me.

-- Thomas Adam

Bear in Mind Posts: 3

thanks for the quick reply... the thing is i'm not sure... the man who i got it off said he bought it for his now wife other than that i know very little.
Did they give bears that big away over 40 years ago?

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Bear in Mind wrote:

Did they give bears that big away over 40 years ago?

Oh yes, they used to.  According to my relatives, I am far too young to know.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree that he looks like a "carnival bear," and circa 1950s-1960s seems like a good guess. He's a charmer!

Becky

Jo W Posts: 22
Website

He may be a Wendy Boston teddy bear. He has the distinctive outstretched arms and ear shape. The age seems right for when the company first introduced this style and they were exported all over the UK and Ireland. Hope this helps! bear_original

Board footer