Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Thanks Kim.... It's a really dark and rainy day here in Ohio, and our library is dark to begin with, so I had to use a flash.... I think it really faded out most of her imperfections and outright filth! Of course, most of poor Patina's "issues" can't really be discovered unless you are right there with her... she won't sit, certainly won't stand, even if you lean her against something.  Her eyes are really uneven, her legs... aside from being so loosely jointed, are jointed so high that if she could stand, you could drive a car through them.... her muzzle has been dipped in many a tea cup in her hard life! 
I love her too though Kim.... and so do my kiddies!  On a good note.... she must have some strong seams to take the kind of abuse that my little ones can dish out and still be in one piece!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

Here is my first bear  bear_original

Sarra_standup2s.jpg

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

This is an old thread, but what fun to see everyone's first bears! I love seeing the spark of individualism in the first bears and how everyone's styles have progressed. bear_thumb

Madeleine is my first design from way back in August 1996 and is about 8 inches tall. She was originally destined to be a rabbit! Madeleine is made of brown and white varigated plush, has black glass eyes, and is softly stuffed with polyfill and tiny plastic pellets. I remember having tons of trouble embroidering her nose, probably because her head wasn't stuffed enough. But the plush I used would have likely stretched...what a mess that would have been!

maddie.jpg

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

first-bears-001.JPGHere's my first two bears..aptly named Number One and Number Two..(One is on the left.) It took me about 10 terribly cheap knit fur fabric bears before i could pluck up the courage to cut into my expensive piece of mohair..now i don't have a problem with it..but I was so scared of wasting it being so expensive..I actually found a bag of scraps I kept to use as stuffing so it wasn't thrown in the bin...uh..I guess i forgot to use it LOL
Kerrilyn

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well most of these bears are better looking than some of my first bears.  But back in the day there weren't so many teddy bear resources available.  I am not so sure that I even have the first bear that I designed.   I do have the first bear that I made with tons of help from mum.
Maybe in the next few weeks I'll get some time to dig around and find him.

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I don't have pictures saved to my computer but have him uploaded in my gallery http://enchantmentsart.deviantart.com/a … r-55534851  the only fur I had was leopard print LOL

bearlady13 Posts: 177

my-bears-0025.jpgHere is my first miniature bear. I have made crocheted ones also.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I think all of these bears have a special charm, and tons of personality!  bear_original

Just for fun, here are my first two. The tan bear is from a kit by Knoevelkes (I know that's probably spelled wrong), and the white bear is from a combination of patterns in The Encyclopedia of Teddy-Bear Making Techniques.

Becky
P1010180tt.jpg

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

100_0741.jpg

This is my first bear...he belongs to my son.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Y'all started out with jointed bears???  My first was a flattie, of course, and they've all been flatties since.

Missouri
Website

Well, Jessie, it helps to have eyeballs!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

That it does, but I have such a passion for bears that I say hang eyeballs.  I did give my stash of fabric to a lady at church and my book of patterns from Joanne, so hopefully there will be a non-flattie Braille Teddy very soon.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I wouldn't show anyone my first 50+ bears...LOL I look back at them and say "oh uggghhh!!" I cringe at some of the bears I made just a few short years ago. My style changes all the time so anything older is not as appealing to me any longer.
Keep in mind the bear market will always amaze you. A bear that I am not so thrilled with will get lots of attention and sometimes a bear that I just love seems to go unnoticed. Its weird how it works sometimes. What I am saying is that just because you dont like it, doesnt mean someone else wont absolutely love it!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

5669997530_7c235bb6a5.jpg
Happy 13th Anniversary to ME! by qdpatooties, on Flickr

Here's my first bear (I don't count the ones I made as a kid) from back in April 1998.  It was also the first pattern I drew out as well.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love that bear, Lisa! (Cutie patootie is right! :))

Becky

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

There is some gorgeous first bears here ~ I love them  bear_original Mine was a jointed mini by another artist ~ I have not used another artist's pattern since. If I can get a pic up I will, but he is on my website too with my "manager" of the studio, my cat T2 lol. My first bear's name was Noah...... I think my pics are too big to upload.
Here's the link to my site ~ Noah is with my cat on the home page at the bottom.....
http://gjoyfulbears.com/main.html

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

OMG, looking at all of your photos, I now feel like my first attempt was really rubbish!  bear_grin

I havent dared take a photo, we named my first bear 'Mongo' as he had really wonky eyes, now has only one ear, and an awfully embroidered nose!

He has spent his life sitting hiding on our linen basket in the spare room but when his ear fell off, I put him in the back of the cupboard!!  Maybe I should repair and try and make him look a little better - trouble was I used very cheap fake fur fabric, which stretched out of proportion at every opportunity.

Oh how I cringe when I look at him!!  :redface:

Hugs

Lisa x

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Gabriele wrote:

Here's the link to my site

You and your mom are lovely ladies, and from what I can see, you did a great job making your first bear.

Lisa wrote:

Oh how I cringe when I look at him!!

I'm just betting he has a lot of inner beauty, the poor dear!

Becky

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
dangerbears wrote:

I love that bear, Lisa! (Cutie patootie is right! :))

Becky

Thank you Becky - I still have him.  I wonder how many of us still have the first bear we ever made?  I still have the first bear I made as a child too - I think I was around 11 or 12.  I'll have to pull him out someday!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

@Boogaloo Bears, I think you should send that bear to someone who will love him with their eyes closed.  Poor bear!!!  I wish I could adopt everybody's first bears if they are ashamed of them.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I know this is more the artists' part of TT, but I thought :"What the heck; we all need a good laugh, so why don't I show you my first -and probably last- attempt at bearmaking. "  bear_laugh
This teddy (or something ressembling it  bear_wacko  ) was made about fifteen years ago.  He/She/It never even got a name, but what I find most peculiar is that I have kept him/her/it.   I found this teddy recently while I was cleaning out the basement.  And although he looks terrible, I think he will stay in my hug for a long time...  bear_flower

Teddy02.jpg

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

Awwwww, he's so sweet  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Peter, I think he (looks like he to me!) is fabulous!!! bear_smile  He has loads and loads of character, and that's all that's necessary!

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

BTW, Peter, your bear is very cute!! Okay, here is my first bear.  Made from muslin, and is not jointed and the eyes are painted on since I had no eyes at the time.  He's from the summer on '09.primBear2E_1.jpg And I do still have him. He sits on my dresser.   bear_grin

Missouri
Website

Peterbear, I think your first bear looks well loved.  That is all a bear asks for...to be loved!

Board footer